Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

April 15th, 2023 20:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 9520, audio quality decreases

I have a 9520 and it is my third replacement unit. All units have had the same issue. If I am using a voce chat app like discord or zoom and try to play a game or play audio on any application like youtube, the audio quality decreases significantly like its coming through an old school radio. If I am using a head set and try to do the same thing mentioned above, the voice chat app will stop detecting my input and output until I reselect the input and output and in some cases this doesnt work either. as soon as i go back to the other application it stops detecting the input and output once again. This happens with any audio device I connect to the computer. I have gone through every possible resolution with the support assist people, but had no luck, they have replaced the laptop 3 times and every unit has the same problem. This makes me think it is software, but I have done a clean install of windows and uninstalled waves maxx audio pro and still the issue persists. All of my external devices have been tested on separate computers and work perfectly, I have also reproduced the issue with every audio device i plug in as well as the built in speakers/microphone. I really need a solution to this as it significantly impacts the useability of this product and I cannot afford to call this a loss and switch to mac as I have already spent the money here and it is not refundable. Please help.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

September 19th, 2023 13:16

@rwuduke​ My headphone has no "HW Acceleration" & "Signal Audio Enhancement" to disable. I've previously attempted to disable Waves Audio services and gave it another shot today. The issue with the microphone disconnecting persists. I'm considering taking action against Dell in my country.

<Violations as defined by Dell removed. Read the Forum Code of Conduct. DELL-Admin>

Finally, they should either resolve the issue on the laptop.

(edited)

3 Posts

September 21st, 2023 09:40

This should not be marked as "solved" since It does not work for me, or other people. Please keep this thread open....

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 21st, 2023 13:50

@Filip33​ Thread will remain open and is still being looked into. I have removed the solved. 

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

September 24th, 2023 00:08

@ramtiin​ 

One more finding on my unit, when I use BT headphone there will be distortion symptom when I streaming Youtube and VOIP APP. 

But when I use wired headphone, there's no audio distortion at all. 

Just FYI 

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

September 26th, 2023 15:22

To speed up the resolution process, we kindly request your collaboration in raising this issue with tech support. More cases mean more information, leading to a faster resolution.

Please proceed as follows:

1. Make sure you updated both Audio Drivers and BIOS to the latest version.
  2. Contact Get Help Now by clicking on the icon in the bottom right corner of the screen to chat with an agent.
  3. Inform the agent whether the issue is occurring with one headset or multiple (they will request you to test another headset for troubleshooting purposes).
  4. Provide the brand and name of the headsets you have tested.
  5. Set up details like if any docking station is involved or not.
  6. Whether Bluetooth headset & internal microphone has the same issues or not.
  7. (Skip if not possible) Record the issue and upload it to OneDrive, Google Drive, etc., then share the link with the agents.
  8. Collect your system logs by following these steps and attach them to your shared folder along with the recording.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2023 08:00

I just want to give everybody here an update of what is going on with my case so far...

We have 3 laptops experiencing the same issue. With the help of the Dell team we have tried all of this: (With no luck of finding the issue or the problem)

I have highlighted some steps

1. Tried to change the audio device settings.
2. Installed new drivers for the audio and some sort of drivers pack.
3. Disabling the Intel Smart sound Technology.
4. Replacing the motherboard.
5. Reseating the customer-replacable units (CRU) HDD, RAM and GFX card.
6. Hard reset.
7, Run the internal Dell Diagnostic on the system (With no errors found)
8. Replicated the problem with 4 different headsets. HyperX (cable and Bluetooth) Jabra (Cable and Bluetooth) SteelSeries (Cable and Bluetooth)

9. Tried 3 different docking stations. Belkin, Dell and Plexgear.
10. Reinstalled a fresh copy of OS WIN 11.
11. Collected logs with the "Log Collector" when we replicated the issue (the issue was still there even after we reinstalled the OS), with different headphones and with cable/Bluetooth.

12. We are now experiencing Bluescreens 2 times a day. (Those "Minidumps" Logs have been shared with Dell)

13. We have collected our own logs that we have shared with Dell. 

The conclusion (in red text) is what we have been saying from the start in this thread:

All information have been escalated to the internal engineering team at Dell.

This process has taken more then 3 weeks. That means 3 of our engineers have not been able to work properly at work.

To be continued...

(edited)

1 Message

October 4th, 2023 15:56

I've been dealing with this in our environment as well. Removing the waves app and disabling all the audio enhancements has mitigated the issue but not resolved it. USB audio is a bigger issue then Bluetooth. I also disabled the fingerprint sensor as I saw that could possibly be interfering. I'm at a loss.

9520's on windows 11 enterprise.

1 Message

October 5th, 2023 12:43

I've been experiencing two kinds of audio issues with my XPS 9520.

1. Audio disappears from a USB connected device (using the provided USB-C dongle from Dell). This has happened both with a Steelseries headset and a Jabra conference speaker. Microphone seems to continue working, but audio is totally dead. Only by disconnecting the USB and reconnecting it will audio be reestablished.
  2. When using the onboard speakers, audio can become distorted in several ways:
    In Microsoft Teams calls, the audio can appear to be skipping and hitching.
    When playing music and a Slack notification appears, audio is muted/distorted for several seconds after the notification sound has been played.
    In other applications, audio can cut out completely and disappear, or just parts of the music/soundfx are played.
No Events found!