Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

April 15th, 2023 20:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 9520, audio quality decreases

I have a 9520 and it is my third replacement unit. All units have had the same issue. If I am using a voce chat app like discord or zoom and try to play a game or play audio on any application like youtube, the audio quality decreases significantly like its coming through an old school radio. If I am using a head set and try to do the same thing mentioned above, the voice chat app will stop detecting my input and output until I reselect the input and output and in some cases this doesnt work either. as soon as i go back to the other application it stops detecting the input and output once again. This happens with any audio device I connect to the computer. I have gone through every possible resolution with the support assist people, but had no luck, they have replaced the laptop 3 times and every unit has the same problem. This makes me think it is software, but I have done a clean install of windows and uninstalled waves maxx audio pro and still the issue persists. All of my external devices have been tested on separate computers and work perfectly, I have also reproduced the issue with every audio device i plug in as well as the built in speakers/microphone. I really need a solution to this as it significantly impacts the useability of this product and I cannot afford to call this a loss and switch to mac as I have already spent the money here and it is not refundable. Please help.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 11th, 2023 03:46

@TStien

Thank you, but this solution didn't work for me, and my headphones still get disconnected.

@DELL-Nathalia M @DELL-Chris M @Dell-BradL 

Why is it that nobody is able to post on this topic anymore, and why were three pages removed??? Is designating the topic as "UNSOLVED" and simply letting it be without additional explanation truly the ultimate resolution in your eyes??

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 16th, 2023 14:35

Hi all,

So, if you are still facing this issue please click Get Help Now or send a private message to @DELL-Cares to chat with an agent.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 16th, 2023 19:44

@DELL-Nathalia M​  You have closed the forum, and there is no "Get Help Now" button anymore! Additionally, I'm unsure how to reach out to @DELL-Cares. Every time I click on the link, I get redirected to a different address.

It's also interesting that you say a user managed to fix the problem by installing a new driver, however, the last audio driver update belonged to months ago, and no one mentioned here that got the problem solved except you!

I will never buy anything from Dell again, and I will spread this Dell unprofessional behavior wherever possible!

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 17th, 2023 12:57

@ramtiin​ 

Hi, I didn't close, if you are able to send messages it means this conversation is still open.

The forum is currently migrating to a new platform, reason why you can't see the GHN and are experiencing issues trying to send a private message. We apologize for that. 

In the meantime, you can also open your private messages and send @DELL-Cares a message from there. I will attach the picture below:

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 23rd, 2023 12:32

@DELL- Nat M​ I reached out to @DELL-Cares (the link you provided still didn't work for me, I had to find the right link on my own) and as I expected, it was useless. Please accept the reality that this problem has nothing to do with users. Dell MUST consider rolling out a software update or addressing the hardware flaw causing this problem. Multiple users, including those with replacement units, are encountering the same issue. I'd suggest handing an XPS 15 laptop to your tech team to understand and replicate the issue and find a solution themselves, instead of wasting users' time in the endless loop of customer support.

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

August 29th, 2023 20:02

@ramtiin​ I went through 7-8 months of conversations with Dells "level 3 support team," They could replicate the problem themselves and told me they couldn't fix it. As this thread shows, we have been abandoned by Dell on this outrageous issue. I have run out of options. I am very sorry the steps I provided didn't get you some resolution. Hopefully Dell will grow a conscience and address the issue, but if I was holding my breath for this, id have already passed away.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

September 1st, 2023 21:19

@TStien​ Thank you anyway for creating this forum. Without it, I might've believed I was the only one facing this issue. We should do anything we can to inform people about this problem before people buy Dell laptops. It's disappointing that such a company fails to address these widespread concerns.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2023 06:30

@ramtiin​ Can you send me a Direct Message with your Service Tag? I won't be back until Tuesday but would like to get this looked into further. I know you worked through this but wanted to discuss further internally. If you have any issues with new platform and sending DM just let me know. 

I am also going to send you an email.  

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 6th, 2023 18:13

Update: If any users are still having this issue can you please try disabling Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) from Device Manager and let us know if it helps/changes anything? Please let us know if there are any questions. 

(edited)

1 Message

September 7th, 2023 16:50

@Dell-Brad L​ - I have 3 of these XPS systems that all perform the same way as described in this article. I have tried all the solutions here but the only solution that has stuck is running Ubuntu (Dual boot with the Windows 11 host that has the issue) with a VM of Windows 11 (which I had to roundabout install into a VM). This is only workable for me, not the owners with the other 2 laptops. 

Please let me know via email if you'd like more information on the issue or would like to run any scheduled test Teams calls with me. 

3 Posts

September 8th, 2023 11:14

Hello Dell, and the rest of the community.

I work for a mid-sized company in Sweden. We bought 3 laptops (XPS 15, 9520) for our engineering team. They all experience the same problem as described in the thread. We can't even use these expensive machines to have a simple Teams meeting with our customers without dropping sound 3-4 times during a session. This is unacceptable. 

I have tried all the solutions described here, but it's still the same problem. What steps are you taking to remedy this Dell?

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

September 18th, 2023 01:59

My XPS also have above issues mentioned -- Audio distortion and Audio drop. 

Share what I adjusted from my system and it fix the issue, maybe give it a try  ?

Audio Distortion : 

https://imgur.com/a/vPYYgr1

CMD>Services>

Located Waves Audio related service (my system have 2) and disable or stopped it. 

Reboot System. 

Audio Drop : 

https://imgur.com/a/ni4xV77

Above pic is just a example, you should change whatever you are using for Audio (Speaker / Headhone...)

Disable "HW Acceleration" & "Signal Audio Enhancement" . 

Reboot System.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 18th, 2023 22:42

@Filip33​ Sent you an email, please let me know if you have any questions. 

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 18th, 2023 22:44

@rwuduke​ Any luck with these changes? 

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 19th, 2023 02:05

@rwuduke​ I am going to mark this as an accepted solution for now for visibility and for others to hopefully try this. Even if it's just a temporary fix, this way we can see if it might help others. Thanks so much for sharing this! 

No Events found!