Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

April 15th, 2023 20:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 9520, audio quality decreases

I have a 9520 and it is my third replacement unit. All units have had the same issue. If I am using a voce chat app like discord or zoom and try to play a game or play audio on any application like youtube, the audio quality decreases significantly like its coming through an old school radio. If I am using a head set and try to do the same thing mentioned above, the voice chat app will stop detecting my input and output until I reselect the input and output and in some cases this doesnt work either. as soon as i go back to the other application it stops detecting the input and output once again. This happens with any audio device I connect to the computer. I have gone through every possible resolution with the support assist people, but had no luck, they have replaced the laptop 3 times and every unit has the same problem. This makes me think it is software, but I have done a clean install of windows and uninstalled waves maxx audio pro and still the issue persists. All of my external devices have been tested on separate computers and work perfectly, I have also reproduced the issue with every audio device i plug in as well as the built in speakers/microphone. I really need a solution to this as it significantly impacts the useability of this product and I cannot afford to call this a loss and switch to mac as I have already spent the money here and it is not refundable. Please help.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

June 28th, 2023 13:00

For any users still experiencing this issue (that have not posted these details already), can you let us know if the Teams/Zoom related problem where the headset stops being detected is occurring currently on USB headsets? 

For anyone experiencing low/no audio, can you let us know if you have updated to the latest Realtek audio driver and if it changed anything? Also, if you're still having this 2nd issue can you let me know what audio device is being used (internal/headset model type/connection etc.)? 

For users having the issue with no audio device detected that are using a USB headset with Zoom/Teams etc., there is a fix being worked on that should be released by the end of July (hopefully sooner but I don't have a firm ETA yet). As we get more info we will try to share it here. 

This is the latest update we have, but from my understanding it's related to software updates causing some of this. 

Marking Solution for Visibility, please note this is not a solution yet but didn't want this to get lost in this thread.  

isProTip

1 Message

June 28th, 2023 14:00

while youre at it, can you remove maxxaudio waves putting filters that remove the bass and make aux headphones sound tinny, there is no way to just use unprocessed windows audio

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 28th, 2023 15:00

I am still experiencing this issue across 3 different sets of headphones (Plantronics, Logitech, Jabra) and 3 different docks (2 x WD19S and one Plugable) as well as a small USB-C adapter. HDMI audio works and Bluetooth works. Unplugging and replugging the USB fixes the issue temporarily. I have uninstalled from device manager, deleted the drivers and reinstalled, downloaded the newer drivers from both Dell and Intel, updated BIOS, disabled audio enhancements, tried both Edge and Chrome browser and Incognito in Chrome. Nothing works. My 4 other machines are on Windows 10 (XPS 9380 and Latitudes 5480 and 7240, and a Surface Pro 4) and have no problems with the same docks and headsets. I have tried everything but nothing works. Something about USB audio for this machine is wonky.

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

June 28th, 2023 16:00

By no means is this resolved. I am starting to agree with a person from a previous post who said we should be going to the media. Unbelievable.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

June 28th, 2023 22:00

Thank you for confirming this, from my understanding this is related to a Windows 11 update and driver issue.

I was curious how well Windows 10 would handle this and expected your results/findings. Please keep me posted if you notice anything different, but I am expecting Windows 10 for now to not have this issue.

Also, can you confirm the current build on Windows 10? I'd like to relay this. 

3 Posts

I have just downgraded to Windows 10 and it has completely resolved my issues. I'm heartened to see that (hopefully) a fix is being worked on, but I'll be sticking with Windows 10 for as long as possible. It's just a better OS anyway.

For reference, yes, my main issues were with USB audio. Bluetooth worked OK for a while, but then a week or 2 ago if I muted my microphone while on a call it would also mute all audio from coming out of the headset. That was what finally got me to go through the "downgrade" to Windows 10, and frankly I'm glad for it.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

I agree it's not solved and stated this, if the update that is scheduled doesn't fix it I will update it further. The updates I am providing are directly from a team I work with (including expected ETA for a fix).

Here is an example thread where I did something similar marking a solution to keep users informed so they didn't have to go through multiple pages on a thread to get the latest updates. In the end this had good results once the update was released. I obviously removed my temp place holder and we placed a new solution in its place once it was live with an actual solution.

Also, if the forum had other options I would use them but this is the best way to highlight the latest updates we have for all users to quickly see them and get notified of my post. With that said, I am going to use your feedback to see if we can maybe reword this to Dell updates or something since they're not a solution.

The main reason I do this is to alert users, gather more info from other users for the team, and not have members go through a lot of posts to get the latest Dell updates.

isProTip

11 Posts

June 29th, 2023 04:00

I cannot wait until the end of July for a fix, this laptop needed to be in someone's hands 3 weeks ago, with Windows 11, as it was purchased.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 29th, 2023 07:00

Thank you for confirming what I suspected, that downgrading to 10 solves the issue. My next step in troubleshooting would have been to boot from an Ubuntu live USB and run it all day to confirm the problem did not appear there.

11 Posts

June 29th, 2023 08:00

-removed by user.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

June 29th, 2023 09:00

Important:
Marking a post as Solved in order to highlight a good tip in the conversation which may bring resolution for some, not all, users is a practise we engage as moderators. Currently we don't have any other way to pin the official information to the top of a thread, unless it's marked as a solution. We are already working on a plan to make this better in the future.

But since this caused a lot of confusion, I unmarked the post with the official info. So you won't see "Solved" on this topic anymore, unless there's a final solution recognised either by the original poster or another Dell employee.

We hope that by removing the "Solved" indicator as requested, we can now work together to find a proper solution to this problem. Please read Brad's posts and provide the information he's requesting as this will help the concerned team to fix this problem.Many thanks

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 29th, 2023 14:00

I have ensured that all my drivers are up to date, but it has had no impact. The issue of poor audio quality persists across all audio devices, including the built-in speaker on my laptop, AUX headphones (which I purchased specifically to test if they would resolve the problem), and my USB headphone.

Also, my USB headphone randomly disconnects, requiring me to either rejoin the call or disconnect and reconnect the headphones. Additionally, sometimes my voice sounds robotic or distorted.
Currently, I'm looking for a job, and thanks to Dell, I can't even have an online job interview.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

June 29th, 2023 16:00

Are you using Zoom when this happens? Or is it a mix of apps (for either issue)?

Try downgrading the audio driver to this and then uninstall MaxxAudio (if it's not already removed/gets added etc.), this might be worth a try to see if changes anything. I know the later driver update coming should help, at least it has so far on other platforms. 

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 29th, 2023 16:00

It happens on all apps that use microphones, like Whatsapp, Discord, Microsoft Teams, etc.
Even after trying what you suggested, I am still experiencing the problem.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

June 30th, 2023 06:00

Thank you @TStien 

Rest assured that we are bringing every information to the concerned team and constantly asking for updates. 
So, if you (everyone in this topic) noticed something for small as it might seen, let us know cause that can be an important piece of information for them.

No Events found!