Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

April 15th, 2023 20:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 9520, audio quality decreases

I have a 9520 and it is my third replacement unit. All units have had the same issue. If I am using a voce chat app like discord or zoom and try to play a game or play audio on any application like youtube, the audio quality decreases significantly like its coming through an old school radio. If I am using a head set and try to do the same thing mentioned above, the voice chat app will stop detecting my input and output until I reselect the input and output and in some cases this doesnt work either. as soon as i go back to the other application it stops detecting the input and output once again. This happens with any audio device I connect to the computer. I have gone through every possible resolution with the support assist people, but had no luck, they have replaced the laptop 3 times and every unit has the same problem. This makes me think it is software, but I have done a clean install of windows and uninstalled waves maxx audio pro and still the issue persists. All of my external devices have been tested on separate computers and work perfectly, I have also reproduced the issue with every audio device i plug in as well as the built in speakers/microphone. I really need a solution to this as it significantly impacts the useability of this product and I cannot afford to call this a loss and switch to mac as I have already spent the money here and it is not refundable. Please help.

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

June 30th, 2023 06:00

@DELL-Nathalia M @Dell-BradL , all of the information you are requesting is already included in this thread. 2.4ghz wireless headphones will disconnect from zoom or discord (probably others as well) when audio from another application begins playing. If Bluetooth headphones are used the audio quality immediately changes to extremely low quality. There is a way to fix this but it is extremely complicated and causes other issues. It requires changing to unsupported audio drivers and disabling all of the waves processes and services. A clean install of windows was also performed. This causes other problems though and is not a reasonable solution for the average user. I hope that Dell and its affiliate software companies can develop working drivers and software that makes these XPS devices usable for everyday video calling while gaming. Gaming while on discord is a great way to aggravate the issue. Playing YouTube while on a zoom call is another way to aggravate the symptoms. Please let us know when a solution has been found. Thank you for removing the solved tag from this issue since it is not solved. Much appreciated.

1 Message

July 5th, 2023 02:00

I have also encountered a similar situation where, after the support team replaced the mainboard, reinstalled Windows 11, and updated all drivers and Windows, the issue persisted.

This problem occurs consistently when using a Type C dock, external speakers, or microphone, where they randomly disconnect and require reinserting the dock. I hope Dell pays more attention to the user experience and addresses this issue.

1 Message

July 12th, 2023 13:00

I have also been having this issue since I got the laptop (about a year).
I've been through several sets of headphones and hunting through the settings of every video/audio driver and app I have installed (NVidia, Realtek, Waves, Discord, Windows Audio).
I've been on Windows 11 since the beginning and have updated all of my drivers at multiple points in the last year.
I use USB audio, generally through a dock connected to the Thunderbolt port.

Glad to know it's not just me facing this issue.

I eagerly await updates which may finally fix this.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

July 13th, 2023 10:00

Our team would like to look into this further. If anyone is having trouble with audio on their XPS 9520, please use Get Help Now. If you have trouble using chat/contacting our team please let me know. The details shared will allow us to investigate this further. 

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

July 14th, 2023 11:00

Here is another possible workaround to try at this link

Symptoms

Users may experience various audio issues such as:

• The audio from the multimedia content (streaming online or stored locally) become distorted or intermittent. This occurs when using conference applications, such as Teams and Zoom.
  • The computer audio does not switch automatically to 3.5mm headphones when connected and continues to play through the computer speakers.

Cause

The Remove Others' Background Noise default setting is enabled in the Dell Optimizer Application.

Resolution

Disable Remove Others' Background Noise function in the Dell Optimizer Application to resolve the issue.

1. Open the Dell Optimizer Application.
  2. Select Audio in the Elevate Your Dell Experience section (Figure 1.).

ka06P000000oWCCQA2_en_US_1

(Figure 1. Selecting Audio in the Elevate Your Dell Experience section)

3. Set the Remove Others' Background Noise function to OFF (Figure 2).

ka06P000000oWCCQA2_en_US_2

(Figure 2. Setting the Remove Others' Background Noise function to OFF)

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

July 18th, 2023 15:00

Dell optimizer is not installed on my laptop and can not be installed because according to the installation file and Dell website, it does not support XPS 15 9520.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

July 25th, 2023 01:00

If XPS, try : MyDell > Audio > Voice > disable "Remove Noise" under Microphone and Speakers. 

Reboot, and try if that helps. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 27th, 2023 05:00

Audio disruption with Intel 12th and 13th Generation Processors with Dell Optimizer or Waves MaxxAudio Pro

Additional testing #1 =
* Control Panel --> Sound--> Enhancements
* Disable the enhancements, then restart the system and test

Additional testing #2 =
* Disable Intel smart sound technology, then restart the system and test

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 1st, 2023 17:00

MyDell on my laptop does not have an Audio section.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 1st, 2023 17:00

1) Audio Enhancements is already off.

2) The internal speaker on my laptop couldn't be recognized after disabling Intel smart sound technology in Device Manager.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 3rd, 2023 00:00

We are in August and I have to reconnect my USB headphone 100 times because my laptop can't recognize it, Besides the poor quality of the sound and microphone noise, this is unbearable! When your update that was supposed to be released in July will be released then??

1 Message

August 5th, 2023 12:00

I have similar issues, experiencing it especially in Microsoft Teams but I did test other conferencing solutions, same issue. Headset randomly stops working. With my Jabra Evolve 75 it will disconnect me from the call, with Bose I stay in the call but people can't here me and I can't here them. When entering calls, sometimes I only hear distorted roboter sounds - unplugging the dongle or cable and replugging helps with that usually. Laptop is basically unusable since half a year - never ever will I buy a Dell again.

August 7th, 2023 12:00

Hi all, have the exact same problem on my XPS 9720 when receive slack's notification, no chance to fix at all.... 

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 8th, 2023 08:00

For who have audio quality decrease symptom, can you try below and see it that helps ? 

1."Win" Key + R, enter "services.msc".

2. Scroll down and find "Waves Audio Services", double click to enter the properties page.

3. Press "Stop" and then press "OK". 

4. Re-start the system and see if symptom presist ?

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

August 8th, 2023 10:00

There is a rough fix posted on Reddit. The guide is tricky to follow and results in your headphone jack no longer working. Create a restore point before performing the following steps in case it messes your audio up, as it took me a few tries and tinkering with drivers. The steps involved include going into task manager and ending all processes that have the word or association with the word "waves." I believe there are at least 2. Then in task manager, go into services and disable any "waves" services. Again I think there are 2ish. Then right click on any service and select "open services,," where you will again search for anything "waves" and disable it. I would also check "start up" in task manager and disable any waves stuff in there as well. Once this is done go to device manager and find the drop down "sound, video and game controllers." From the list, right click on "realtek (R) audio" and select update driver then browse my computer for drivers. The next page will have a check box that says something about only searching for compatible drivers, you want to check that box so that it looks for all possible drivers. Once you do this you scroll the list till you get to Microsoft, select it and then choose the most recent HD option. Once you do this, restart the computer. Check your audio. If it sounds like garbage go to the Dell website under support and go to download driver (or something like that) then look for audio drivers for the 9520. Select the realtek driver without waves. Once you install this driver your computer should restart and then check audio again and it should be better. After trying this please report back to confirm if it worked. After doing this my headset is no longer disconnecting inputs and outputs while on voice/video calls. I based this off a thread i found on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/DellXPS/comments/12ytc86/comment/jmcvmyf/?context=3

Again this is not a perfect fix as it seemed to disable my audio jack and is pretty insane for an average consumer to have to navigate these steps just to have functionality of their computer. Dell should be able to take this information and provide an update that fixes the issue. Dell, please confirm on this thread when an update has been created that fixes the issue. Thank you.

No Events found!