• 

22 Posts

February 2nd, 2024 21:44

isHighlyActiveTopic

Aurora R16, games keep crashing after a while

Alienware Aurora R16

Alienware Aurora R16

Hello,

I bought new aurora 16 in December for gaming purposes. My games were crashing in the past which i did not pay much attention to (online and offline), mostly it was after playing for a while, but today I was playing AION and it just kept crashing straight after even connecting back to the game, and this made me realize something definitely must be wrong. Every game i have played has crashed at some point, I'm not sure what to do here. 

I have tried to keep everything updated to my ability, however I'm not tech person. I cannot find any where else where i need to update. 

I tried to run diagnostics and keep getting error - Full Test error
We're sorry, an error occurred and we could not complete the scan. Please restart your system and try again.

This is my very 1st dell/alienware product.

system -

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

April 10th, 2024 15:28

@ProfessorW00d​ Sorry for late reply guys, glad you solved it. Yes it's still bad. Mine is also EDP limited even on 0% load. at CPU temp at 35c. I even re-pasted the CPU still throttling. This PC config is just terrable. 

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

April 10th, 2024 16:28

Surprise surprise BIOS update has been realised, and guess what.. E-cores now show as 44x on All Comand Center Profiles... So Clearly Dell Support are looking at this thread! <3 

am happy progress is being made. 

On a side note in regards to the posts above sorry I have been away, so didn't reply. 

but my CPU also has Current/EDP Limit Throttling @ 0% CPU on a fresh start up so CUP is only at 40c. But it is constantly under an EDP limit. (I presume this shows another potential issue in the bios) 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

April 10th, 2024 17:46

I am thinking design decisions were made...

There can be multiple reasons why the current/EDP throttling is set on the processor. Three common reasons are listed below:-

• Processor Core IccMax is set too low in the Intel® XTU. (The IccMax can be found on the processor datasheets volume 1 under the VCCCORE DC Specifications)
  • VR (voltage regulator) current limit is set too low in BIOS. Different motherboard OEMs may have different names for this control. Contact your motherboard vendor.
  • The motherboard is not able to provide high enough current for the given processor. Pairing a low-power motherboard with a very high Thermal Design Power (TDP) chip can cause current/EDP throttling, even with current limits set to the maximum.

EDP limits Intel CPU's

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 21st, 2024 03:57

had the same issue, 4090 i9 r16, crashing on everything..... can i return this after 2 month of purchase?

(edited)

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

April 21st, 2024 04:01

@SuSu6666​ Pretty sure the window is 30 days. You would have to check your sales paperwork to make sure.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 24th, 2024 00:13

@DELL-Nat M​ I have updated my drivers to the latest version 552.22 and have run the windows update.  FYSA, I have also run all the other tests listed in this thread with no changes.  The only item I have been unable to accomplish is update my BIOS which another tech is trying to help me with.  As I have had my machine for 2 weeks I am seeking a fix in the next week or I will be returning the system as I didnt pay this kind of money to deal with these issues or be a remote trouble shooter for Dell.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 1st, 2024 16:17

@DELL-Nat M​ 

hello. I too have the same problem. What is the solution? I am on my phone and I can’t seem to find it ? 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 1st, 2024 16:19

@Stuckhereonearth​ There's currently no official solution.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 8th, 2024 03:13

@Alora Star​ In the exact same boat with nearly identical rig. Dropped 5K on dream gaming system in anticipation of Dragon Dogma 2 release and ended up just buying it twice and playing it on Xbox. About to do the same with Manor Lords. I have tried everything. At this point I have spent more hours trying to get it to stop crashing then actually playing games. Very Frustrating to say the least....

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 10th, 2024 00:31

@DELL-Nat M​ My guess is it has to do with the motherboard overpowering the CPU at levels it wasn't designed to take. It's a very common issue at the moment affecting all PC's with the lastest Intel's. 

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

May 11th, 2024 14:56

Hello,

I just thought i will stop in to share. I finally found out what was causing my games to crash. in BIOS disabling speedstep and speed shift stops crashes, but obliviously fps are dropped by a lot :(. Overclocking is also could be one of the reasons why crashes occur, because every time my pc is overclocked, a crash is guaranteed.

I hope intel is also looking at this as it seems this is common issue with newest gen - https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/is-your-intel-core-i9-13900k-crashing-in-games-your-motherboard-bios-settings-may-be-to-blame-other-high-end-intel-cpus-also-affected.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 15th, 2024 15:30

I have the Aurora r16 with the 4070ti and I have the same issues.  Games, like Starcraft just crash.  Adobe products crash upon launch.   All components have been replaced.  New motherboard.  New RAM, New video card, new SSD.  Everything BUT the power supply.   This is Crazy.  This computer series looks to be a lemon. 
No Events found!