Forums

For Home

For Home
Computers & Related Items for Personal and Entertainment

Dimension 3000 memory upgrade

• Is it possible for a dell dimension 3000 motherboard to support two ram modules that are 1 gig a piece?
  • Yes, see here for more detailed RAM specs:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/specs.htm#wp1075776

Peter
  • Thank you very much. The link that you provided is the information that i needed. Thanks for taking time to help me i appreciate it very much
  • Peter, I hope you can help me.  I've read a couple of threads and also looked at link you suggested.  I don't see anything that would have steered me in a different direction - I bought (2) 512 MB PNY DIMMs for the Dimension 3000 at my local Staples.  They do what has been posted before - beep when you boot.   I've seen Rick's answers about this being posted many times before, but how, from the specs, are you supposed to know that you have single-sided memory and you've bought double-sided memory which are incompatible?  I've called PNY and they say it "should work, but try a bios update".  I guess I know my answer - the memory is incompatible and I'm just venting, but why don't they list this in the specs and who is a "reputable memory mfr." that would have told you this when you used their configurator?

Thanks for listening to me b*&&!,

Dennis

• I have issues trying to install my new ram. I purchased it off of newegg and I read a couple reviews and some said it could fit into the dell dimension 3000. I purchased 2 512MB AMPO 3AMD2400-512M2-R sticks but when I tryed to install, it wouldn't fit. It seems that the notch on the ram is slightly to the side of the original dell. Is there anyway to make them fit? I think they would but there are those ram clips on the side.
  • DJUhler,

You have experienced the "fun" of upgrading memory that is not guaranteed to work. I have had pretty good luck lately just buying sale priced RAM and sticking it in. But sometimes (some motherboards/chipsets) seem to be particularly finicky.

My father has one of those boards and not only did the RAM he bought not work, his motherboard did not survive the attempt (I'm not sure exactly what happened). So be glad you are not in that boat.

The motherboard makers used to (still do?) list a set of memories that have been tested and work with the motherboard. Sometimes it is a very short list (2 vendors) and you might have a hard time finding memory from them.

If taking it back is a pain, just go with Dell or crucial.com.

Peter
  • dingostar,

Sounds like you got DDR2 RAM by mistake. The 3000 needs DDR. The notches are slightly offset between the two, but DDR2 has many more pins. You can not use DDR2 in that machine.

Peter
  • Peter,
    Thanks for the feedback. I was able to return the memory directly to Staples without incident, and ordered from Crucial.com (patiently awaiting it's arrival).  I understand what you said about the motherboard mfrs. blessing certain memory, but the Dell documents I have don't contain that information.  It would be nice if it did. 

Dennis

Message Edited by DJUhler on 09-08-200603:25 PM

• Dell will sell you memory that works (presumably), so maybe they don't see it in their best interest to help you buy your own. That is why they don't behave like the motherboard makers who have an interest in the motherboard working with as many different brands as possible. I agree that the specs for the machine should include compatible memory. It only seems reasonable.

Even on these boards many people will say that you should just go to crucial to buy and that somehow Dells are worse than most. My experience has been that Intel chipsets are pickier than most, but that is just my experience.

It still amazes me that we have a situation where there is no good way to tell if the memory is going to work. Graphics cards are just expected to work (presuming they have the correct interface ... e.g. AGP vs. PCIe vs. PCI). Too bad RAM is not like that. At one point getting HDs to work together was pretty hit or miss.

Good luck,
    Peter
  • Another questiion on memoryupgrade:

When adding a second DIMM to the Dimension 3000, does it require that they be equal (both 256, both 512 etc.) or is this model 'dual channel'(?) and allow use of unequal DIMMs? I was told this might be possible.

Thanks.

• jerry217 wrote:

Another questiion on memoryupgrade:

When adding a second DIMM to the Dimension 3000, does it require that they be equal (both 256, both 512 etc.) or is this model 'dual channel'(?) and allow use of unequal DIMMs? I was told this might be possible.

Thanks.

Dual channel is where they NEED to be the same size...  And yes, the 3000 has dual channeling, so unequal sticks results in a performance hit.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• Thanks for the quick response.

What magnitude performance hit are we talking abiout?

I've decided that for myself (actually for my daughter) it doesn't make sense to buy less than 512. As I understand your response, it sounds like it will work if I put the original 256 in the other side. It won't perform slower than the 512 alone will it?

Thanks.

PS: How much do you know about the original partitioning of this machine''s hard drive?   I also posted a message under the thread at http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_harddrive&message.id=117220&jump=true#M117220 

• jerry217 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

What magnitude performance hit are we talking abiout?  Up to 30%.

I've decided that for myself (actually for my daughter) it doesn't make sense to buy less than 512. As I understand your response, it sounds like it will work if I put the original 256 in the other side. It won't perform slower than the 512 alone will it?  You're already in single channel mode, so adding 512 will only make it run faster, correct. 

Thanks.

PS: How much do you know about the original partitioning of this machine''s hard drive?   I also posted a message under the thread at http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_harddrive&message.id=117220&jump=true#M117220 

You could have made the computer "as shipped" by hitting CTRL F11 on reboot.  Now, I'd recommend reinstalling XP by deleting all partitions first, then make a new one(s), then format and install XP, then CHIPSET driver. 

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• I haven't actually tried it, but you should be able to have mismatched RAMs. You will lose dual channel mode, which might slow your machine down slightly (over dual channel mode). Of course, the added RAM may more than compensate for the loss of dual channel speed.

Peter
  • self deleted message, sorry

Message Edited by wxcc2004 on 04-29-2008 06:48 PM