Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

March 9th, 2015 20:00

Inspiron 5547 laptop pops open at the right side joint while closing

I bought this laptop (Inspiron 15 5547 model) exactly 3 months back. For the last few days I was hearing a click sound whenever I open the laptop. And today also I heard the click sound but while closing the laptop I found the right corner edge is popped open.

And then I found one half of the screw lying under the laptop. And the other half probably inside in its place.

I contacted Dell Support for this issue and explained them what happened. They told me that this is a damage happened on the laptop and I am not covered by accidental damage coverage. So I have to pay for this one to be fixed.

I explained them that I’m using this laptop as everyone else does like opening a laptop to work on it and closing it when am done with my work. But no use, I was told this is beyond warranty I have to pay $160 and wait at least 12 working days to get it fixed.

I don’t understand, opening and closing is one of the basic functionalities of any laptop. Doing so has broken a screw which is beyond my control and that led to weird opening at the bottom. And that too within 3 months.

Can someone please suggest me what are my options? I don’t know how I’m responsible this.

Thanks.

October 14th, 2015 18:00

Update from my side.

I submitted a complain to ***.org and within days dell representative started contacting me asking me to ship the laptop which I did and they fixed it and it did not cost me a dime. Before they were like you will have to pay for it, it's not covered, it's an accidental damage bla bla bla  and what not.

Once *** contacted them the tone changed and they did not even say a thing about the cost for the fix. For now the hinge is fixed no popping at all not sure how long it will last but thanks *** :-)

My suggestion contact ***.org submit your complain and see what happen, unless dell recalls the laptop on their own for the hinge problem then all this hassle would be solved.

Thanks

January 8th, 2016 19:00

Hmm Dell representative sending a private friend request, wonder why??

* Because he is asking for private information that cannot be posted out here. DELL-Chris M.

Do they NOT want rest of the world to know what they are telling their customers or accept in public that its a design fault, and maybe avoid paying thousands of unsatisfied customers a refund for the money they paid to get a computer oh I'm sorry its is the best selling laptop fixed and it all was because of the ever courteous Dell customer service who never wanted to accept its a design flaw and a fault on one of their best selling laptops. Well done Dell. Is this friend request open to the Public?

3 Posts

January 8th, 2016 22:00

I bought the Inspiron 5547 laptop from BestBuy, Canada in February 2015. After sometime the "right hinge" started to give a cracking sound and had it repaired for "two" times. But the problem repeated for the third time, but this time the hinge completely opened up.

Yesterday (January 7, 2016) When I contacted BestBuy they asked me to give it for repair again, but I'm not really satisfied with the previous repair and the product and not sure about the problem to be solved permanently.

Every time I give it for repair I lose 2-3 weeks of work. If I had to move to repair centre continuously, there's no point of buying this laptop which makes it worthless. Several people has faced the same problem with the same laptop model.

BestBuy repair team suggested me to talk to Dell directly and see if they could help.

Spoke to an agent and he filed a complaint (# 806631) and he suggested me to either give for repair (which is disappointing) or talk to the store manager for a replacement of the laptop.

Today (January 8, 2016), I talked to the store manager and he said that I don't have "accidental damage coverage" so they can only repair and not replace the laptop and said only Dell could help me.

Then I called the customer service which was really frustrating. Been on call for nearly an hour and every time I get connected to a wrong department (got the transferred for 5 times). Then I've to start telling everything from the beginning (It really ***)..

One Dell agent told me that it covers under "out of warranty" as I don't have any "accidental damage" from the store and I've to pay for that (around $150) to get it repaired.. ***.. How can it be under "out of warranty" when that's a defect with several laptops of the same model..

I've been with Dell from 2007 and have always been very much satisfied with Dell products. But this product ruined everything and avoids me from buying Dell laptop again. Customers with similar problem feel that Dell is using cheap plastic material to build the body.

I kindly request you to take an appropriate action on such products and make the customers feel worth and also to provide me with a permanent solution..

Thank You..

July 21st, 2015 18:00

I have just experience the same issue.  I purchased my Inspiron 5547 on 12/28/14. Last Saturday (7/18/15) upon opening the lid I heard a crack but didn't think much until I tried closing the lid and noticed that it was not closing all the way.  When I looked I saw almost exactly the same issue you had.

After speaking with several people from Dell's Customer Support department I was told that I had to have dropped or damaged the computer for the hinge to just break.  I was told by a supervisor in the Out of Warranty area that if there were a problem with their hinge that caused it to break that they would recall the computers and since no such recall occurred I had to have broken it.  I must either pay to fix or get the parts and fix it myself.  My computer is still under warranty until 3/28/2016 so if I took his later advice per the warranty quoted below I would risk invalidating my warranty.

When I explained that the exception of "External causes such as accident, abuse, misuse or problems with electrical power" did not apply because there had been no accident, abuse or misuse" so I expected them to honor the warranty that states it will cover defects in material and workmanship.

What is covered by this limited hardware warranty?

This limited hardware warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship in your Dell-branded hardware products, including Dell-branded peripheral products.

What is not covered by this limited hardware warranty?

This limited hardware warranty does not cover:

• Software, including without limitation, the operating system and software added to the Dell-branded hardware products through our factory-integration system, third-party software or the reloading of software
  • Non Dell-branded products and accessories
  • Problems that result from:
    • External causes such as accident, abuse, misuse or problems with electrical power.
    • Servicing not authorized by Dell.
    • Usage that is not in accordance with product instructions.
    • Failure to follow the product instructions or failure to perform preventive maintenance.
    • Problems caused by using accessories, parts or components not supplied by Dell.
  • Products with missing or altered service tags or serial numbers
  • Products for which Dell has not received payment
  • Normal wear and tear

The company I work for buys dells by the thousands and after speaking with our account executive she stated that she believed the company would back its product.  She went so far as to escalate my issue to Dell's highest level of support (the Advanced Resolution Group).

Unfortunately the experience with the "last" hope at dell called me a liar by saying there was no way my hinge could have broken simply by lifting the lid.  This was their final response.

"This email is with reference to the conversation we had earlier regarding your service tag: @@@@###. We regret to inform you that we will not be able to accommodate your request to repair your computer at no cost. As the system has an accidental damage on it and the usual cost for the repair is $269 but we are willing to get it repaired at $159.

Kindly reply to the email or call us back on the below number if you are willing to get the system repaired."

I hope people continue to post their issues regarding these hinges and the poor customer support and Dell's failing to abide by it's own warranty.  Maybe if enough people speak out, Dell will realize there is a problem and people can get their machines repaired.

What good is a warranty if nothing is covered by it?

2 Posts

August 16th, 2015 10:00

I also had a hinge failure with my dell inspiron  5547, after 6 months.  Called Dell on a Thur. night.  After being on hold for more than an hour, I was told I was going to be sent a shipping box for repair.  Called again on Monday after no box was sent.  What a nightmare.  They had no record of my conversation.  I was passed around to several different departments, being put on hold again and again.  Then the phone disconnected.  Called again, same thing.  Got disconnected again.  Over 2 hours of being on hold.  Thought I would try the chat line.  That was 45 min.  Had no record of my calls, and said the number I had called wasn't a dell number.  Called again.  Same thing.  Then I was told that it would cost me 160.00.  By this time I wasn't going to give this circus my credit card number.  I was on hold for a total of 4 hours.  What has happened to this company?  I bought my first desktop in 1999, and several laptops since.  There were several people, that I had a hard time understanding their English.  Still looking for someone to repair this unusable 7 month old laptop.  I will never do business with this company again.  So sad.

August 17th, 2015 13:00

I'm sorry to hear this.

I had to fight for more than 2 months with Dell and finally they agreed to change the part.

Since there was no replacement part available, I was given a replacement laptop. 

My whole point was that its their cheap screw which broke within 6 months and caused the hinge not to properly sit when closing the laptop.

Sorry for the late reply. Just now got to see this.

August 17th, 2015 13:00

I had the same situation. I could not even get to someone to speak and when someone attends you, he/she will immediately transfer the call to Out Of Warranty department and the guy it that dept is not even willing to listen what happened and all he wants is $160 to fix this.

But I had to fight for 2 months for getting this fixed. I just made up my mind that I'll never back off from this until its fixed.

Initially I was told that they manufacture and sell so much laptops in this model and they never had a single incident like this. But now I see, it is not only for me.

4 Posts

September 13th, 2015 17:00

I have a very similar situation. In my case, the cover is broken just over the lan slot (rj45), and I noticed that it has to do with the applied force when I open and close the display. I contacted Dell and sent them some pictures and they told me that a technician will come and fix it on this week. I will let you know what they told me. I think is a problem with this model. I had a similar problem with an older model (15R), I think they're using cheap materials :(

September 17th, 2015 16:00

I bought the laptop 6 months back ( Inspiron 15 5547 ) and the right hinge is making a cracking sound when opening and closing the lid. This seems to be a manufacturing defect as so many people are having the same issue and dell is not ready to acknowledging it. This type of cheap hardware should be covered by the basic warranty and not be accidental warranties.

After spending $800 to buy the laptop this is not what we expect to hear from Dell that its not covered by the warranty and will only be covered by accidental warranty. $800 purchase should last for years to come.

I will be reporting this issue to the *** so that they know what is going on and how DELL is handling such issues.

September 17th, 2015 16:00

I bought the laptop 6 months back ( Inspiron 15 5547 ) and the right hinge is making a cracking sound when opening and closing the lid. This seems to be a manufacturing defect as so many people are having the same issue and dell is not ready to acknowledging it. This type of cheap hardware should be covered by the basic warranty and not be accidental warranties.

After spending $800 to buy the laptop this is not what we expect to hear from Dell that its not covered by the warranty and will only be covered by accidental warranty. $800 purchase should last for years to come.

I will be reporting this issue to the *** so that they know what is going on and how DELL is handling such issues.

14 Posts

September 18th, 2015 04:00

I have this laptop for a year now! I have the same issue! I start to hear a sound when I closing my laptop(Like the MANISH8508 wrote " hinge is making a cracking sound when opening and closing the lid.")! I called Dell Support, report my issue and they agreed to change the broken part! I am in warranty! But this is the second time I need technical support!( The first time has my LCD!!

1 Message

September 22nd, 2015 09:00

Hi Guys,

I'm also having the same issue with my laptop and have troubles with dell's technical support. As they are asking me to pay for the screen replacement.

Dell refused to support it under basic warranty. :(

What can I do ? Can anybody please provide me the case number where you got the laptop repaired from DELL without paying like 269$ 

Regards,

Rahul

14 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 00:00

Hi Guys,

I'm also having the same issue with my laptop and have troubles with dell's technical support. As they are asking me to pay for the screen replacement.

Dell refused to support it under basic warranty. :(

What can I do ? Can anybody please provide me the case number where you got the laptop repaired from DELL without paying like 269$ 

Regards,

Rahul

Can you send this thread(as link to the Dell support) on the forum to prove your issue??? Or send a video were are you showing your problem( I have send a video to dell support and they accept to change the faulty parts, in warranty).

September 29th, 2015 15:00

Same exact thing happened to me. This HAS to be a defect!!!!!

6 Posts

October 11th, 2015 23:00

All,

Apologies if it is not posted right way/right forum. But I came here searching for the problem being discussed here.

I am also facing same problem. It seems it is design flaw.

They changes part once on my laptop but again it has started giving same problem. ( In less than 3 months)

Not sure what is issue and if anyone from Dell is actually looking at our problem.

As some said they should recall this product.

My first Dell laptop may be my last.

Any other way Dell can listen to us?

No Events found!