Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

March 9th, 2015 20:00

Inspiron 5547 laptop pops open at the right side joint while closing

I bought this laptop (Inspiron 15 5547 model) exactly 3 months back. For the last few days I was hearing a click sound whenever I open the laptop. And today also I heard the click sound but while closing the laptop I found the right corner edge is popped open.

And then I found one half of the screw lying under the laptop. And the other half probably inside in its place.

I contacted Dell Support for this issue and explained them what happened. They told me that this is a damage happened on the laptop and I am not covered by accidental damage coverage. So I have to pay for this one to be fixed.

I explained them that I’m using this laptop as everyone else does like opening a laptop to work on it and closing it when am done with my work. But no use, I was told this is beyond warranty I have to pay $160 and wait at least 12 working days to get it fixed.

I don’t understand, opening and closing is one of the basic functionalities of any laptop. Doing so has broken a screw which is beyond my control and that led to weird opening at the bottom. And that too within 3 months.

Can someone please suggest me what are my options? I don’t know how I’m responsible this.

Thanks.

3 Posts

January 7th, 2016 16:00

Same problem with me.. Had it repaired for two times from Best Buy.. And third time, this is what happened. When I contacted them they asked me to give it to repair again, but I'm not really satisfied with the product and the repair. Every time I give for repair, I lose 2-3 weeks of my work. Liked this product initially but it eventually caused me a big disappointment. Have been using Dell laptop from 2007 but this product changed my opinion on Dell's products. I don't understand why dell is manufacturing these types of substandard laptops. 

3 Posts

January 7th, 2016 17:00

I have the same problem as well.. Had it repaired for two times when the hinge was slightly opened. But today (third time) it completely opened up. Really disappointed with this product. .

2 Posts

January 8th, 2016 06:00

As recommended here, I complained to an agency which led to Dell sending me a box + postage paid tag.  I sent it back and within 10 days got it back fully repaired (they replaced the case).  I couldn't have asked for me.  They only thing I don't understand is why Dell's customers have to contact the agency before they do anything.  I imagine Dell would do a better/more permanent repair than Bestbuy, so I would recommend you do the same.  

4 Posts

January 8th, 2016 06:00

I also was told NO for repair under warranty or as defect. I also complained to BBB>ORG and am in the process of getting repaired now, it was approved. They had me send pictures of the hinges. They have to notice a trend here. Terrible have to go another route but happy BBB is there to help hold Dell accountable for their products. 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 8th, 2016 10:00

I am sorry that I didn't see this any sooner.  If you have an Inspiron 5547 that hinges have frozen and will not open or close correctly please report this to technical support in your area.  Please be prepared to photo the problem areas for investigation like many of you have here, please ask your technician for a case number.  If you have contacted tech support and have not received help please send me a direct message, please include the service tag of the notebook, and any case numbers and I will see if I can help.

TB

6 Posts

January 8th, 2016 11:00

Hi Tery

Thanks,

Problem is not getting it fixed, problem is re-occurrence.

My laptop has been fixed twice (I really hate it to ship/fix again and again) and I can start sensing that It is coming up again. While opening laptop I literally hold the hing by pressing to reduce pressure on bottom lid so as it does not break.

Why don't we have permanent solution. My warranty is about to expire, what will happen after that, pay for manufacturing defect?

I assume you need to come up with permanent solution rather problem re-occurring every 2-3months.

Let me know.

Thanks

2 Posts

January 8th, 2016 11:00

Iam having same issue, and unfortunately for me, my warrenty ended in mid-november and its almost 2 months now.

i was too careful with it, and didnt notice the small crack near the power button until recently, yesterday while i closed the lid, the edge suddenly popped out and now im too scared to use it.

i dont think i can afford over 160$ at this moment and of course i was sad about it, but when i saw this thread and many others having same problem which can be labled as manufacturer defect, its more devastating for me because it wasnt my fault, even i used it very well over a year.

i hope i will be able to fix this issue before any more parts get damaged while closing and opening the laptop.

please tell me if there is any way to get it fixed

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 8th, 2016 12:00

queicrkf

I have sent you a friends request, please accept as I would like to get your information so I can check the case history and see if I can suggest a solution.
TB

3 Posts

January 8th, 2016 18:00

I have similar issue except I was denied repair as this is out of warranty, this is clearly (in my opinion)  a design/faulty part issue and I tried to explain but no success. When I bought it I was concerned about lid endurance but saw that this is tested for 10000 times opening and closing but this has failed in less than 500. I feel so helpless and not sure a fix will last if part is still a faulty one. Will really appreciate if you can help as I don't know where to go next as I am in Newzealand .

thanks,

Raj

2 Posts

January 9th, 2016 04:00

---

i have the same issue, i remember posting a reply last night it might be still under approval or didnt went through, anyway i had this small crack near power button i noticed recently

and suddenly day before yesterday the right side edge popped out, it had been making small noise but i thought it was normal after long time of use

unfortunately for me the warrenty ended in november its almost 2 months out of warrenty now, and i cant pay that much for a repair at this moment, this is a difficult situation for someone who depends on it most of the time.

the sadder thing is that when i learned it could be a manufacturer defect, because i know i used it carefully, and the problem occured almost a year later and i never had any kind of problem with it before.

can anyone suggest me what choices do i have, also is there a store locator or something? because im not sure even if there is a dell support center nearby

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 11th, 2016 12:00

I have sent a number of you friend requests or direct messages.  If you have not received a message or friendship invite from me yet and are having problems getting help on your Inspiron 5547 due to cracked plastics around the hinge please send me a direct message and include the case numbers that you may have received from tech support.

Thank You

TB

No Events found!