Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2018 09:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Include XPS thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 BIOS

Hi Dell,

Considering the amount of issues related to thermal management and fan control in the G-Series I would like to suggest you include in the next BIOS version the same thermal management system of XPS line and allow it to be controlled via Dell Power Manager the same way XPS line works (with Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance profiles), this will save you a lot of headache and returns due to systems running too hot or too loud when it's just a matter of software management.

G-Series laptop may be entry-level gaming pcs but its users are very demanding when it comes to stability and controls, so it would make sense, I want to be able to let me g3 be really quiet during work time and when I want to game, I would like to be able to set it to high performance and system ramp up fans to keep thermals under control and excellent performance.

I believe other owners will agree with me.

Best regards. 

Ricardo

14 Posts

February 1st, 2019 17:00

@GeekZilla.com.br wrote:

Our only hope is that since the second generation G7 will have the alienware comand center, they will extend that our first gen G7´s.

Sadly that is not quite true. The new G series will only have a lite version of the Alienware Command Center without fan control (as stated by DELL-Chris M here).

isProTip

26 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 03:00

Good news guys our efforts gave fruit DELL has released bios 1.9 HERE You can see in driver details as :

Enhancement:
- Added the Thermal Management feature in the Dell Power Manager application version 3.0. 

I think they finally decided to fix the thermals after many months and user complaints. Thank you all for your efforts on many platforms to make DELL hear us.

15 Posts

October 20th, 2018 10:00

You have my support. I cannot use the laptop for more than an hour because it gets too hot.

108 Posts

October 20th, 2018 10:00

+1 👍

How did you downgrade to 1.3.0?

9 Posts

October 20th, 2018 11:00

You have my kudo, Dell PLEASE give us this!

15 Posts

October 20th, 2018 11:00

BIOS update for dell G3 from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0 is not major, so I can simply download and install the 1.3.0 version over the newer without issues.

October 20th, 2018 12:00

We need this dell.

making the system stay quiet during gaming is very bad for the system and mine feels like an oven after 1+ hours of gaming.

I bought this "gaming laptop" to play games and i can barely do that.

This was my first dell and how this issue is resolved will be the deciding factor on if i ever buy a dell again and im sure others feel the same way.

1 Message

October 20th, 2018 12:00

We really need this dell. I bought my G7 for gaming and not for office work. I can't game on it for more than an hour without it acting like an oven. If I wanted something silent and for office, I would have bought something different.

15 Posts

October 20th, 2018 17:00

Image of what we are asking for.Image of what we are asking for.

1 Message

October 20th, 2018 18:00

This would be very useful and its badly needed by notebooks meant to play games.

3 Posts

October 20th, 2018 21:00

I'm with you, man.

Dell, why would you not want to give us more control over our own devices? Especially if you have the software ready to do it. Unless you're intentionally trying to cause our computers to die early...

3 Posts

October 20th, 2018 22:00

We need this Dell, I won't consider this brand next time I'm looking for a laptop if this isn't sorted out. Do the right thing. 

10 Posts

October 21st, 2018 05:00

I bought this laptop and I own it. I don't like it one bit that Dell is trying to dictate how I use this device. It might be a gaming device, it might have also been bought by people who want quieter laptops, and I am fine with all of that.

The only way I see Dell making everybody happy is indeed to give us manual fan control when needed. I do not use my laptop for common use cases most of the time as a researcher and the sole reason why I bought this instead of the XPS 9570 with an identical CPU, RAM combination was so I would have higher power and thermal limits. You have no right to take that away from me from (from a security perspective) mandatory BIOS updates.

I want fan control.

Bump.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2018 07:00

I hope that dell has repect for who both a expense notebook how the Dell G7.

28 Posts

October 22nd, 2018 08:00

I hope they add it to the Dell Inspiron 13 5379 as well.

No Events found!