Precision 690 MY171 rev A00 mobo - Xeon 5300 series quad core - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Precision 690 MY171 rev A00 mobo - Xeon 5300 series quad core

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Precision 690 MY171 rev A00 mobo - Xeon 5300 series quad core

This question has been answered by duracellttu

Hello,

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but I am having trouble find an answer for my exact situation.  My Dell Precision 690 is running the MY171 rev A00 motherboard on rev A08 of the bios.  Currently it has a single Xeon 5150 dual core processor.  I would like to upgrade to dual quad core Xeon 5300 series processor.  I have seen youtube videos and discussion with MY171 rev A02 boards that will run the 5300 series, but nothing confirming if the A00 version will run them.

Will the MY171 rev A00 motherboard on bios A08 run dual Xeon 5300 series quad core processors?

Thank in advance for the help!

Verified Answer
  • Today I received my Xeon X5355 processor in the mail and installed in on my MY171 Rev00 on bios A08.  No issues running the processor.  I took out the motherboard battery for 2 mins before reinstalling and starting up for the first time.  Bios immediately recognized the processor.  

I'm running window 10 and initially it only saw 2 of the cores.  I went into MSCONFIG and made some changes under the BOOT tab, Advanced Options, you need to uncheck "Number of Processors" and reboot.  After that , the OS will see all 4 cores.

I plan to run as second X5355 processor, but am waiting to get a second heat sink before dropping it in.

Hope this helps other looking to upgrade the 690.  Both processors cost me a total of $20 on ebay.  Also got 16GB (8x2GB) of PC5300 DDR2 RAM for this computer for $10.  Computer will run great for $30 worth of upgrades.  I still feel like they need SSD to run faster.

All Replies
  • Today I received my Xeon X5355 processor in the mail and installed in on my MY171 Rev00 on bios A08.  No issues running the processor.  I took out the motherboard battery for 2 mins before reinstalling and starting up for the first time.  Bios immediately recognized the processor.  

I'm running window 10 and initially it only saw 2 of the cores.  I went into MSCONFIG and made some changes under the BOOT tab, Advanced Options, you need to uncheck "Number of Processors" and reboot.  After that , the OS will see all 4 cores.

I plan to run as second X5355 processor, but am waiting to get a second heat sink before dropping it in.

Hope this helps other looking to upgrade the 690.  Both processors cost me a total of $20 on ebay.  Also got 16GB (8x2GB) of PC5300 DDR2 RAM for this computer for $10.  Computer will run great for $30 worth of upgrades.  I still feel like they need SSD to run faster.