Dell Inspiron 6400/ e1505 motherboard replacement

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dell Inspiron 6400/ e1505 motherboard replacement

• Hi there!

I'm in need of replacing my motherboard (it has beed flooded) and I don't know which one do I need. I checked my motherboard part number (I think is U9625 but I'm not sure, You can check my original system configuration here).
    I found one item on ebay that match that U9625 number (check it here ) but I don't know if it is a motherboard at all (the item name is not clear for me).
    Can You tell me if that item match my laptop? Is it a motherboard at all? I need only motherboard (I have all other parts working on my old motherboard, nVidia GeForce go 7300, ram, hard drive, bluetooth and wi-fi, so I don't need all of these).

Will be grateful for anwsering as my knowledge at computing doesn't suffice...
    Maybe You know where else can I get a motherboard to my dell?

Thanks in advance! Regards, robert.
  • That link appears to be for the processor, not the mainboard.

This is the board you need:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=3772&prevaction=category&previd=141&prevstart=0

• That's right. Motherboard suggested by You looks like the proper one but it has the part number YD612 on it. I think the part number is crucial in replacing any original part from dell - if you want the motherboard to work correctly You have to replace it with same-numbered motherboard. And I don't see at my 'original system configuration' the YD612 number...

I would contact dell support and ask them, but my warranty is over. I asked the seller if his motherboard would work but still waiting for anwser.

here you have all ebay's motherboards to dell inspiron 6400 which I have. In each and every 'item name' you have 5-digit part number. Most of them are YD612 but not all. They are also widly randomized in respect of price (can't tell the actual differents between them...). There're also many YD612 motherboards priced 3 times cheaper then the one You suggested.

Do You have any other Idea how to contact dell support to get the anwser? I'd preffer the e-mail contact (calling them is not an option).

Please help me if you can.

Many Regards, Robert.
  • What are you looking for from Dell?  If you need a part number or price quote, you'll have to call Spare Parts.

Yes, some vendors on EBay are cheaper - but you get no warranty with most of them, nor can you easily separate the fly by nighters from the legitimate vendors.

Dell Spare Parts 1-800-449-3355 ext 7269937
  • I would definitely call dell spare parts but I'm not from the US and I can't call 1-800 started numbers. I've googled for it and it seems like they have a website. So maybe I will E-mail them later.

One more thing. I found a motherboard to 6400, but it's for 6400 model no. PP20L. How can I know if my dell is model no.PP20L or not? How to check my model no?

Thank You for your support, seems like you keep this forum going;)

One more time, will be grateful for any anwser!

Many Regards, robert.
  • PP20L is the Dell model number for the 6400/E1505 - you'll have to verify that it's the board with a video socket (the boards with integrated video won't take your video card).

• Below is my original configuration from Dell. Can someone clarify which on numer stands for motherboard? Personally, I think there's no motherboard number:) I hope I'm wrong...

U9625 PROCESSOR..., 80539, YONAH, T2400, 1.83, C0

CF745 ASSEMBLY..., ADAPTER..., ALTERNATING CURRENT..., 65W, MOBILE 2007..., DELTA - AC ADAPT..., WORLD WIDE...

DF771 CORD..., POWER..., 125, 1M, C7, 2P, DUAL..., UNITED STATES...

NC929 KEYBOARD..., 87, UNITED STATES..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., SINGLE POINTING..., D PLUS SERIES...

Y5522 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 512MB, 533, 64X64, 8K, 200

RJ421 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., WIRELESS..., LEAD FREE..., INTERNAL..., BLUETOOTH..., 355

CD940 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., WORDPERFECT..., 12, PLUS-TRIAL

HD266 HARD DRIVE..., 100, 9.5, 5.4, Serial ATA..., TOSHIBA..., ARIES-B...

NC293 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., NETWORK..., MINICARD..., 3945ULD, MOW1

DF056 LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., 15.4WXGA, GLARE WIDE VIEWING ANGLE..., TLF, SAMSUNG...

NF882 BEZEL..., ASSEMBLY..., PLASTIC..., LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., 15.4, 6400

UF167 ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., COAXIAL ..., LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., 15.4, 6400

YC640 ASSEMBLY..., DVD+/-RW..., 8X, SONY..., SULLIVAN/TOBAGO...

RD857 BATTERY..., PRIMARY..., 13.2V, 6C, LITHIUM..., SONY...

NJ887 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., GRAPHICS..., 256MB, G72, I6400

XD720 ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)..., NOTEBOOK...,
    DISCRETE..., 6400

Of course bold are part numbers.

Many thanks for any anwser!

Robert
  • Ok, so I called dell department in my country and got my motherboard number: F6402. I googled for this number and it seems that this is motherboard number for Inspiron 6000, and not for 6400. I haven't found not even one F6402 motherboard for Inspiron 6400...

Something is wrong, I don't believe that I got wrong number from Dell (number is based on my service tag), but it seems like this is truth.

I think the only way now to get that number is giving my dell to computer service. I guess the motherboard is physically marked with that number, so they'd be able to check it.

Regards, Robert.
  • Open the memory card door at the bottom of the system.  The number will be on the board near the memory sockets.

• ejn63 wrote:
    Open the memory card door at the bottom of the system.

Don't know where is the memory card door:/

I guess I won't dissemble it on my own. I'm affraid I could break something... Tomorrow I'm gonna call service and give it to them.

Regards, Robert.
  • It is on the bottom of the system, marked M.

• Hi again.

So I did the motherboard replacement, same part number, but still it doesn't work... I don't suppose the new motherboard to be not working, the service that did the replacement says that is probably the graphic card problem now. Laptop still can't turn on. I think now about buying new graphic card, I allready found one. My old graphic card part number is NJ887, the new one I found on eBay is WF147.

Can I replace the old graphic card with the new one (even if the part number is not the same)?

My old graphic card is geforce go 7300 256 mb, the new one is ati radeon 1300 128mb. Will it be working?

Thanks again for your responses...

EDITED: I found anwser for my question saying "yes, I can replace geforce with ati graphic card" . Another question on my mind - can the broken graphic card couse trouble with turning on my laptop? I mean it doesn't turn on and there's no signals of working when I push the power button. No disk running sound, no cooler sound, nothing but only the leds on top of laptop turn on for a few seconds and then fade away...

Can broken graphic card couse that kind of problem?? 

Message Edited by robs23 on 04-24-2008 09:01 AM