Alienware X51 - Wireless adapter

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware X51 - Wireless adapter

This question is not answered

I've seen several posts about this topic and am having the same problem as many others. I got a x51R2 in December and I've been regretting it ever since. I thought I would be able to use my TP Link PCI-E wireless adapter with it, but I don't see how it will fit in the case. The current adapter drops the signal constantly, and I'm always trying to turn the adapter off/on or running a diagnostic on it.

What is the next step for this issue?

Is there a way for me to install a PCI-E wireless adapter in this case?

All Replies
  • Hi,

The X51 R2 only has one PCIe slot for the video card and one mini PCIe slot for the wireless card or mSATA, so unfortunately there are no more port available for that wireless card.

If you’re having wireless connection problems, I would recommend you try the troubleshooting steps here.

If the issue persists let me know!

Alienware-Naomi
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• Ken2
    Is there a way for me to install a PCI-E wireless adapter in this case?

No.

See alternatives here:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19584951.aspx

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Naomi,

I am still having problems with my wireless. I cannot do a physical connection and thus need high quality wireless connection. The wireless card included on my PC is very weak so far, and I often have to resent the network adapter to reconnect to the router.

What else can be done?
    Thanks

• Hi again, 

Which wireless card model does your system have?

Try the troubleshooting steps here and let me know if the issue persists. 

Alienware-Naomi
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• My bars never get past two out of five. Also, once in a while there will be a little yellow indicator on the signal bars. I then troubleshoot the network adapter, it resets the adapter and everything works fine again. Sometimes I need to do this a few times for internet connectivity to be restored.

• Contact your ISP to make sure it's not a problem with the router. Then, send me a private message with your Service Tag and contact information so I can assist you further. 

Alienware-Naomi