Alienware Windows 8.1 support thread [Questions and Discussions Here]

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware Windows 8.1 support thread [Questions and Discussions Here]

This question is answered

What is new in Windows 8.1?
Link

How to boot to the desktop in Windows 8.1
Link

How to Perform a Clean / upgrade Installation of Windows 8.1
Link

Windows 8.1 Pre-Update Checklist
Link

Alienware Windows 8.1 Update Product Support
Link

Dell Computer Support for Windows 8 Upgrade
Link

How to Setup Multiple Monitors in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Link

Microsoft Windows Locks Up or an Error Occurs
Link

Computer Will Not Boot to Microsoft Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
Link

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 STOP Error (Blue Screen) Troubleshooting
Link

Accessing Windows Troubleshooters in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Link

Resolving Local Account Password Issues in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Link

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Video Settings
Link

Alienware-Milena
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#iwork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

Verified Answer
  • Hello,

What is soon mean too you.

• If this suggestion answers your question or leads to a solution, please click the green "Yes" button in the bottom of this post. _________________________________________________________________________________________

Alienware M18xR2 | 3920XM | GTX 780M SLI | Dual 330W AC Adapter
    32GB 2133 | 512GB SSD RAID0 | 4TB HDD RAID0 | 250GB mSATA
    Dual Boot: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows 8.1.1 Pro x64 
    Benchmark Results

Alienware M18xR1 | Alienware M17xR2 | XPS 15 L521x | Inspiron M5030 | Inspiron 15 | Inspiron 910 [Mini 9]

All Replies
  • Thank you Milena,

Now for those of us with an Aurora R4, my command center is not working correctly.  I have a Windows disk coming "I think" today.  What would you recommend for the install process to get windows 8.1 and command center, working correctly together?

Mark
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Alienware -R4

Alienware - ALX Area-51 Wartime edition X58 (one of the last ones ever made)
    Core i7-975 @ 4.0ghz, 12gb RAM, nVidia GTX560TI, 256 SSD HDD
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2 M/B
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

• Hello markshaheen! 

You can try reinstalling windows 8, then run the upgrade to 8.1 and right away install all the drivers. 

The command center should work properly and if the issue persists, you can continue to check on the drivers and downloads website because we will release a new version of the command center soon.

Alienware-Milena
    #iwork4Dell
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• Hi,

i have updated my Alienware 17 today to windows 8.1 from the windows 8.1 preview.

this update has removed all of my applications (has claimed to do so... so im fine with it)

but alongside it removed the original alienware wallpaper and i cant find it anywhere :(

i have downloaded the AWimages file, searched the web/ dell support site for more then two hours and found nothing.

would really appreciate your help, because i really liked that wallpaper!

Thanks,

Ilya.

• Hello Ilya_rabinov!

Hope this works

http://dell.to/186ilNo

Alienware-Milena
    #iwork4Dell

• Sadly no :(

as i said i have already downloaded this file... and the original one i has isn't in this pack.

http://postimg.org/image/vhcyqrw3j/

have added an image i had of it... hope this helps :)

• Any word on Aurora R3 and Windows 8 or 8.1?  I would like to upgrade, but still can't find if it is supported with the R3.

• Travis J,

The Aurora-R3 is not supported. This document was posted on 8/10/12. It states that the following Alienware systems will be supported by Dell with the Windows 8 operating system and the Windows 8.1 update:
    X51-R2
    X51-R1
    Aurora-R4
    Alienware 18-R1
    Alienware 17-R1
    Alienware 14-R1
    M18x-R2
    M17x-R4
    M14x-R2

The M11x-R3 is supported by Dell with the Windows 8 operating system but not the Windows 8.1 update.

For all other Alienware systems, we cannot know what software issues you may encounter or how to fix issues found. We will not address the lack of Windows 8 drivers for unsupported systems.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Drivers
    Order Status

• So, that's a year and 3 months ago. I paid $1700 for a system that can't run the latest version of Windows? Do you see a problem with this? I get that it isn't your personal fault, I have and X51 as well. But c'mon. It's pretty frustrating. We buy high end hardware and it does this? My Razer laptop runs 8.1 like a champ. Which is why I bought a Razer and not an Alienware laptop. You guys are losing money on this thing.  Fix it please. Your high end hardware consumers are buying other things. And this is a major reason why.

• We Liaisons cannot change this policy decision. Propose your concerns on the Dell IdeaStorm.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Hi Chris, just a quick one. M17xr4 windows 8.1 after switching graphic card from intel to geforce and vice versa (fn+f7), windows reinstalls video driver for geforce. It looks like windows think that you have a new hardware when you switch from geforce to intel. Am i doing something wrong? Should i turn off drivers update in some way? Thanks

• Hi Milena,

AWCC still not working with Windows 8.1 on Aurora R4

I bought my system only 3 months ago.

Can we please get an update on when the new release of AWCC is coming and what progress is?

• Hi Travis,

I totally agree with you. I have been sorely disappointed with issues with Alienware. Unless this fan issue and 8.1 compatibility is not fixed, I will not be recommending alienware to anyone I know and most certainly will be moving away from Dell products after 15 years of being a loyal customer and fan.

I am sorry that you are having problems with your system.

• Hello Omaralien!

Unfortunately we still don’t known when exactly is that they will release a new version of the command center. But we will let know as soon as is out.

Alienware-Milena
    #iwork4Dell

• Hi Travis & omaralien,

I agree with both of you. I have an AW m14x and an AW Aurora R1 and having a lack of support for win8.1 is so frustrating when other brands have full support for their desktop/laptop hardware.

I have that fan problem with win8.1 on my Aurora when windows 8 was working flawlessly before. 

For the moment, I can see that theses products (my products) won't have support for the new OS.

Unfortunatly, I will step away from Alienware for my next system mainly because I see no more future in buying a highend system that get obsolete after 2 years.

My brother is updating his system currently and I did not recommend him AW because of this and that problem on the cooling system on Aurora R4 (also rumors that parts are cheaper than before on the build).

Well, I hope Dell consider this because acting like this will make people go away from this brand.

• Still no solution on this. It has been a month. I don't think Dell really cares about this issue.

Today someone at work asked me if I would recommend Dell. I told them about this problem their reply:

"Sounds like a night mare, I better go for ---(brand) "