Alienware M17x R4 - No Sound with discrete card

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware M17x R4 - No Sound with discrete card

This question is answered

This is getting annoying day by day. Today I boot up my laptop and I see very familliar icon in my taskbar "No speakers or headphones are plugged in." This issue happens everytime I switch from Intel card to ATI HD7970m. When using the intergrated card, sound works fine but after switching, NO SOUND. Normally, there must be two sound driver in device management, but only "High Definition Audio Device" appear, the "Sound Blaster Recon3Di" is not appear. The bios is upgraded to A09 (to solved my previous problem with HDMI port).

Really, is there an end for all the issue happening to my laptop?

Verified Answer
  • I am having the same issue with my M17x.  I worked with tech support on the phone just a few weeks ago and it fixed the problem for a short period of time.  After looking into this issue some more, it appears to be a design flaw or seating issue with the sound card.  There are a couple of other threads from users that have the same issue and one of them posted that he had to have the MB replaced and the issue was resolved.  I think that my issue was resolved by turning the machine over and looking at the service tag number then setting it back down on the table, not BIOS and driver updates.  I think after spending over $2500 for a laptop, this should never be an issue with seating of a device.  I am also seeing, judging from this thread and the other, that the response time for service is way to long.  Again, paying the extra money for the extended coverage and it takes a month to get a respone?? Really????

Anyway, this issue needs to be looked at on a deeper level then just, here try and install this driver or update to this BIOS.  That is not the solution.  Not sure this information is being sent upstream to the assembly group, but it needs to be reviewed there, not at the software level.  I will be contacting Dell this evening to get somebody out to replace the MB soon.  I will not send it in for replacement, I don't have the time for that and it is their issue, not ours.

Please pass this along to all who have this same issue and send it upstream to the assembly group, where ever that might be, and get the issue resolved for good.  No more band aid repairs on $2000+ machines. 

All Replies
  • Hello mydog2409,

Please Install this driver:

www.dell.com/.../alienware-m17x-r4

Alienware-Natalia
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• Hi Natalia,

I have the same problem as mydog.  except I have not noticed if it has anything to do with switching graphics or not.  My BIOS is also upgraded to A09.  I tried the driver you suggested, rebooted, still no sound.

• After switching and rebooting for 5 times, the sound did not come back on. After the forth reboot time, I was thinking it was time to rollback to factory setting (again), I shut it down and went to sleep. When I started my laptop, the sound suddenly came back on.

Is there ghost in my laptop or Dell is trying my patience.

• Please send us an e-mail to AWsocialmedia@dell.com with your service tag and contact information, include the link to this thread and a brief explanation of the issue that you are experiencing, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alienware-Natalia
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• I sent an email as requested on 11/29, I have not received a reply.

• Sorry for the inconvenience Rick, send me a PM and I'll take care of the issue personally.

Luis Porras
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• I am having the same issue with my M17x.  I worked with tech support on the phone just a few weeks ago and it fixed the problem for a short period of time.  After looking into this issue some more, it appears to be a design flaw or seating issue with the sound card.  There are a couple of other threads from users that have the same issue and one of them posted that he had to have the MB replaced and the issue was resolved.  I think that my issue was resolved by turning the machine over and looking at the service tag number then setting it back down on the table, not BIOS and driver updates.  I think after spending over $2500 for a laptop, this should never be an issue with seating of a device.  I am also seeing, judging from this thread and the other, that the response time for service is way to long.  Again, paying the extra money for the extended coverage and it takes a month to get a respone?? Really????

Anyway, this issue needs to be looked at on a deeper level then just, here try and install this driver or update to this BIOS.  That is not the solution.  Not sure this information is being sent upstream to the assembly group, but it needs to be reviewed there, not at the software level.  I will be contacting Dell this evening to get somebody out to replace the MB soon.  I will not send it in for replacement, I don't have the time for that and it is their issue, not ours.

Please pass this along to all who have this same issue and send it upstream to the assembly group, where ever that might be, and get the issue resolved for good.  No more band aid repairs on $2000+ machines. 

• im having the same problem  and  nothing seems to work

• Try to flip back your laptop for 10 seconds, then flip back again and press the "change graphic card" button. If it doesnt solve the problem, then shut it down for a while.

• @DarkfireKnight, did you update the BIOS already?

Alienware-Natalia

• I dont think update the BIOS will solve the issue because I have updated to the latest version but the problem still exist sometimes, especially when carrying it around on backpack.

• yes im up to date

• Please send me a private message (click on my name and then click on "Start a conversation") with your service tag and contact information.

Alienware-Natalia