i am currently having issues with my computer randomly blue screening on me, sometimes runs for 3-4hrs sometimes only 10mins, one thing i know for sure is that if i try to leave it on overnight i will blue screen everytime.
1. no overclocking on this system everything is default cpu and gpu.
2. alienware area 51 alx
6gig ram nanya tech.
nvidia GTX 580 with current drivers
3. i ran memtest86+ for 15hrs @15passes with no errors in memory, i have also tried 1 stick at a time and still get blue screens so im ruling ram out.
4. it is always same crash BCcode124 "hal.dll".
5. i also ran prime95 but hard to tell if the cpu is an issue because its so random even with prime running.
6. removed and reseated everything but the cpu.
any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. i have inserted some info from the minidump via blue screen view by nirsoft.
AURORA ALX, I7 920, UNDER REBUILDXPS 730 X.. I7 950 BIOS 1.05 WIN7 PRO
2x 750 RAID 0,
GPU HD 5870 X2 IN CF
AW FX 220.127.116.11
teutonic360 on steam
I looked this thing up and it seems that most people say its overclocking or hardware related. A few sites also points at the OS causing it.
Try the dell diagnostic. Reboot and hit F12 then scroll down untill you see it. Run the full test. If the Dell test passes then try reinstalling windows. If it still does it after that then something has to be bad. oh and if you have any large hard rives remove them before running the test. It will test them too and if they are large it will take forever plus a day to do it. Just leave the HDD with the OS in the sytem.
Call Dell and tell them you ran the tests. If not they will make you run them all again. They may still make you run it but anyway..call them and start replacing parts. I would guess the MOBO and then the CPU.
Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-06GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder
thank you for the info i will run the daignostic tonight
Things you must do when receiving your new computer from Alienware:
1. Install Windows and wipe everything that pre installed by Dell.
2. Install all the latest drivers from their website - do not install any drivers that was shipped with the computer from the CD ROM.
3. Go to either ATi or Nvidia and grab yourself the latest drivers.
4. Update your computer system from Microsoft websites.
If you dont you will get BSOD or very stuttery system or very laggy system with bloat ware.
Dont forget the people that used generic mass install on all computers do not understand nor read english this is why you are getting BSOD.