Graphics card

For Home

For Home
Computers & Related Items for Personal and Entertainment

Graphics card

This question is not answered

I Just recently got my son a Dell Inspiron 660 Desktop with Intel Core i5-2320 Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive so he could play the sims 3 with all the expansion but the Intel® HD chip it has just aint enough. the screen just keeps freezing and  go's black a few mins in to playing it. I went to the parts & upgrades on dell.com and the only one it shows in the graphic cards upgrades for this type of computer is the graphics cards from VisionTek. Is there a better one that will work around 100 to 200 dollars or will the ATI Radeon HD 4350   do the job for what i need it for?

All Replies
  • Hello Jonathon,

Well, it is really disappointing when the game is not compatible with the video card.There are few graphics cards that can be installed on this Inspiron 660 which is tested and recommended by Dell for this system.

The Inspiron 660 has following options available for Graphics Chipset:

• Integrated Intel HD Graphics chipset.
    • nVIDIA GeForce GT 620 (for slim tower).
    • AMD Radeon HD 7570. 
    • NVIDIA GeForce 640GT (for Mini Tower).

The power supply in Inspiron 660 is 300W for mini tower and for slim tower it is 220W.So you may get any of them depending on the system.
    Please write back to us if you have any further questions. 

**Note: For optimum performance output from graphics card, it is always suggested to use higher wattage power supply.

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click "Yes".

• Hi,

1. Does the dell 660 (core i5-3330) have intel hd graphics 4000 or 2500 as standard?

2. Is the dell inspirion 660 considered a mini tower? If so will it still accomodate a regular sized radeon 7750. I understand the 660s slimline is limited to a low profile card, however can the regular 660 chasis accomodate a normal sized radeon 7750.

3. There are a few 7750 cards with a passive heatsink instead of a fan on the gpu. (ex. sapphire UltimatE 7750)

the addition of the heatsink will mean that the space of Two slots will be taken up. Can the 660 chasis still accomodate  this type of card.

4. If i open the desktop chasis to install a new 7750, will it void the warranty on my system?

thank you all for the information.

• Hello Dabrodarko,

Inspiron 660 has a regular chassis and Inspiron 660s is a slim desktop which has a slim chassis. In case you are referring to the Inspiron 660s, it only accommodates low profile video cards. However the Inspiron 660 has a 300 watts power supply and the Sapphire Ultimate HD 7750 requires a system power supply of 400 watts. Hence upgrading the graphics card on Inspiron 660 would require an up-gradation in power supply. Installing the video card would not void the warranty. However if the video card goes bad, you would have to contact the manufacturer.

Please write back if you have any further questions, would be glad to assist you further.  

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

• Hi Dabrodarko,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. 

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell

• Expecting my system to arrive in a few days. Once I get the system I will let you know. I am most curious to see if the core i5-3330 comes with hd graphics 4000 or 2500.

As for the video card. When you say regular chasis. Is that a full tower, mid tower?  Also the 7750 and the ulimate 7750 are slightly different. the ultimate 7750 comes with a passive heatsink (more space needed), hence I wanted to know if the ultimate card would fit inside a Dell 660 chasis? (or will lack of space prevent the option of using an ultimate card)

Regarding the power supply, I know 400w is 'recommended' by the manufucturer. it seems the reliability of the power supply is a major factor too not just the claimed power output. a poor psu with 400w might only output half of that, while a good psu might output 300w and sustain.  We do hope the dell psu 300 watt are a good enough psu which performs as claimed.  It seems with research  that the actual power consumption of the 7750 is lower than some other older cards which claim to require only 300watts. 

If you could help me with these questions that would be great ALLAN.

• I do believe the nvidia 640 GT requires a  350 watt  psu as recommended by Nvidia

Also I think the nvidia 7570 is also listed as recommended for a similar psu or 400watt.

So if the above cards have been recommended to be used in a 660 with 300 watt psu, then I don't think 7750 can be ruled out completely.

Not to mention the older cards definitely consume more power than the 7750 which has been designed to have the lowest power consumption. 

cheers ALLAN, please help us clear this up.

• Hello Dabrodarko,

The Inspiron 660 is a full tower where HD 7750 can be installed when we talk about the size of the card (dimension).

Perhaps when we talk about the power supply, NVidia GeForce 640 GT (350 watts PSU) and NVidia GeForce 7570 (400 watts PSU) were tested with the system. But the Ultimate 7750 was not test with the system. More over the video cards that are being shipped with the system are customized according to Dell requirements. Hence we are not sure about the functionality of Ultimate HD 7750. However if you want, you can give a try to it. 

Please write back if you have any further queries.

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell

• I just got a dell 660s and bought a Radeon HD 4350 512MB PCIe to install, recommended by dell. I am wondering if my existing power supply will do the job?

• Kendell660s

I just got a dell 660s and bought a Radeon HD 4350 512MB PCIe to install, recommended by dell. I am wondering if my existing power supply will do the job?

Kendell660s

Yes.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I bought a 660s and was told that a Sapphire HD 7750 would fit in the tower, so I bought one, installed it, ran all updates, then unfortunately found that my system continually crashed due to this new card's drivers clashing with the onboard ones. For those that are not aware of this, you cannot disable them on the motherboard, only in the Display Manager. The problem is that every time you restart your computer, it 'enables' it right back. 

Needless to say, it's VERY disappointing...

• DirkinFTW

I bought a 660s and was told that a Sapphire HD 7750 would fit in the tower, so I bought one, installed it, ran all updates, then unfortunately found that my system continually crashed due to this new card's drivers clashing with the onboard ones. For those that are not aware of this, you cannot disable them on the motherboard, only in the Display Manager. The problem is that every time you restart your computer, it 'enables' it right back. 

Needless to say, it's VERY disappointing...

DirkinFTW

Before installing the new HD 7750 video card, did you remove all the exsisting graphic drivers and after installing the new card, install the compatible drivers for the new HD 7750?

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Hi Bev,

I certainly 'thought' I did, but, have went ahead and uninstalled the existing ones (Intel HD Graphics), installed the card, then installed the new drivers...let's hope this works this time. It wasn't crashing on a daily basis, but did so at least 3 times in the last two weeks.

Thanks!

DirkinFTW

• Hi DirkinFTW,

Good luck, also I've found using Revo Uninstaller very handy to remove drivers/programs.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Try the using the free version.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• I have been trying to install a ZOTAC 2GN DDr3 geforce 640 for about two days now with no luck- black screen, but fan spinning. I have an upgraded PSU, 550 watts- should be more than enough.  I should mention that I am trying to connect to an HDTV with micro USB. Any help\suggestions? Could you point me towards where you came acroos the info about the geforce 640 being a tested card?

• " I am most curious to see if the core i5-3330 comes with hd graphics 4000 or 2500.".

I have checked this in the past. As I recall:

Desktops with i5 processors have HD 2500 graphics. Desktops with i7 processors have HD 4000 graphics. Notebooks with i5 or i7 processors have HD 4000 graphics.

You can check by searching for information on Intel hardware.