Upgrade the Motherboard on a Dell Dimension E520

For Home

For Home
Computers & Related Items for Personal and Entertainment

Upgrade the Motherboard on a Dell Dimension E520

• Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension E520 with an Intel Celeron D 2GHZ, 1GB of RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, Windows Vista 32-Bit for about a year now and the speed of the processor is great. But with 1 core is not enough. I opened the case and found that the processor is soldered in to the motherboard and is not replaceable, so I am thinking of replace the motherboard with one that comes with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHZ. My question is that can I replace the motherboard on it and what kind of specifications of the motherboard will work with the Dell Dimension E520.

Thanks

• The E520 will take a Core 2 Duo CPU, and the chip is not soldered to the system board.

Basically, any mainboard upgrade means building a new system - you'll need a new board, CPU, case, power supply, and a retail copy of WIndows - but as above, the system will take some Core 2D Duo CPUs (though not the newer ones on the 1333 MHz bus, etc.).

• Then, if the chip is not soldered in then how can I take the chip out.
  • Take a look at this.  It's documentation on how to remove the processor from your motherboard.  Hope this helps.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz –Kingston 240GB SSD – Seagate 320GB HDD – ASUS GeForce
    GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550w PSU - Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1- Dell E2211H 22"Flat Panel Monitor

• Thanks,

I thought I had to replace the whole motherboard, when I could just replace the processor.