Which Dell switches are suitable for VMware? - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Which Dell switches are suitable for VMware?

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Which Dell switches are suitable for VMware?

This question has been answered by OutdoorWI

We will have a very simple vSphere environment. What switches should we buy? Must be Dell. I'm a networking newbie, but I'm a VCP.

2 x ESXi 5 hosts in a HA/DRS cluster

vCenter Server will run as a VM

We will use VLANs for security

We will use a resilient pair of switches

No storage traffic will go on these switches, only Management, vMotion and VM Networking

The data centre will provide a managed firewall. There will be no other switches.

Would 2 x Dell PowerConnect 2848 switches be sufficient? Can they route traffic between VLANs? Or do we need more expensive switches?

Sorry for the newbie question!

Verified Answer
  • From what I can find on Dell's website, the PowerConnect 2848 is not a Layer 3 switch, so it would not be able to route traffic between the VLANs.  In order to route between VLANs you'll either need a dedicated router, or you would need switches with Layer 3 routing capabilities such as the PowerConnect 6248. 

All Replies
  • From what I can find on Dell's website, the PowerConnect 2848 is not a Layer 3 switch, so it would not be able to route traffic between the VLANs.  In order to route between VLANs you'll either need a dedicated router, or you would need switches with Layer 3 routing capabilities such as the PowerConnect 6248. 

• Thanks. We're going to use the 2848 and so all inter-VLAN traffic will be handled by the firewall(s).