Dell XPS 17 - Wireless Connection Problem - Intel 6250 Centrino

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Dell XPS 17 - Wireless Connection Problem - Intel 6250 Centrino

• hansonas

I have the exact same problem as @BARNETT82 except i have the dell XPS 15 (L501X). I posted on a different area of the dell support forum am reposting here in the hope someone might offer me some insight or help.

I recieved my new XPS 15 (L501X) less than a week ago, I have been having problem with the internet connection, i randomly tend to loose my connection (as if the wireless card is switched off), this lasts for a few minutes and then connects to the internet again , everythings works fine for a few hours and then i lose connection again.  all this happens several times a day  maybe several times a hour sometines.

some clarification.

there was even a probelm during the first start up of my laptop , when windows asks to connect to the internet (it would recognise the netowrk but not connect to it). I had to skip that step, i managed to connecct to the internet after several attempts later.

This loss of internet connection was within the first few minutes  of first time use. (so i am guessing its Definitely
     not something i might have installed since then)  

i have up dated the drivers to no avail. 

my router only supports 802.11 b and g (its not an N router)

i have also un-selected the  "allow the computer to turn off this device to conserve power" option in power management tab of properties of the wireless card (intel wifi link 1000BGN)  option in device manager 

my router & internet connection (from the ISP end) is fine as no one else using the network has complained, .

I am thinking this might be a hardware problem with the wireless card, any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for this post.  Which wireless card do you have?

I am getting very close for asking for a new laptop / new wireless card or something cause this is getting a little silly. I'm having 5 year old technology mop up this brand new laptop, shoot... my iPhone is blowing my laptop outta the water trying to go to Foxnews.com.

I'm now on a Netgear router, location #4 now at a completely different persons place to test this and I havent had any issues as far as connectivity, but it runs slow as molasses. My g/f's old IBM laptop took about 3-4 seconds to load foxnews.com and it took mine about 15 seconds. That was tested side by side.

Also, I just ran a trace route to yahoo.com and the 1st request times out every time, but 2-14 continue on. My g/f's computer has no problem with the 1st hop. Just more info for anyone else's mind that spins on this.

• barnett82,

I am thinking of purchasing a XPS computer and was reading this thread. CLICK HERE for instructions to reseat the wireless card.

Dell™ XPS™ L701X Manual

I cannot remember but I think WPA2-AES and/or WPA-AES allows faster speeds than WPA/WPA2 PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal). NOT all wireless devices, like game systems, phones, USB adapters will work with AES security. Wired connections will always be the fastest. On Wireless G networks, channels 1, 6 and 11, I use channel 11, and the connections work well. Here are my Recommended Wireless Router Settings for a wireless G network.

The 6250 is an Intel adapter, correct? If so, make a system restore point first, then try updating the driver from Intel® Driver Update Utility for Intel® wireless adapters and see if there is an updated driver. From hanging around the wireless and networking forums, I have seen some wireless adapter work better when changing the antenna diversity, in the device manager, advanced, from Auto to Aux. We have also compared wireless card settings as well. Here are My Intel WiFi 5100 AGN Connectivity Settings I had on my laptop before it was stolen, it may or may not help.

In closing I was thinking about getting the 6200 card in the new system. Was chwcking to see if there were any issues before getting one. Hope my information was helpful.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• +1 to Rick!

from my experience here on Dell's laptop Forums, you can't go wrong with Rick's recommendations.

RoosterCool

XPS 17, Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz /6M, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M 3GB with Optimus / TV Tuner, 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo, JBL 2.1 Speakers, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 WiFi card,  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Dimension 3000 Desktop, Intel Xeon Processor 3GHz / 8M Cache / 667 MHz FSB, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, 17” Flat Panel Display, Toshiba DVD Drive, Windows XP 32bit

• Rick,

Thank you for your response. I seem to have fixed the problem by running some 3rd party software that changes some settings in the registry. I do not think I need to re-seat the adapter anymore, however, I am looking at the settings you posted to optimize my performance as much as possible.

Here is the software I used to fix my problem: http://www.win7zilla.com/    ( I scanned it using Avast! anti-virus and got no threats)

On that note, thank you so much to everyone that contributed to helping resolve this issue. It's nice to see an involved and helpful community here. Also, thank you for your patience with me.

• barnett82,

The website you downloaded the software has a yellow warning from WOT - Safe Browsing Tool

Try these tweaks. I use them on all the computers in my home.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Just wanted to report that I have had no further connection issues since my last posting!  Yes  Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions; something worked (I probably had a conflicting set up and now resolved) so am very grateful for the help.

Love these support forums!!!!!  Will look for owners of older Dimension E510 desktops for their help as I attempt to bring this wonderful oldie goldie up to date and install Windows 7.  Any suggested sites for that?

Have a terrific weekend!  Cool  It's beautiful in South Florida!!!!

Gilgomez

XPS17, i7-740, Nvidia 445, 640 gb HD, 8 gb DDR3

•  gilgomez,

When I first tried Windows 7 64-bit, I installed it on a seperate partition. That way if I ran into any problems, I could switch back to Vista 64-bit and find what I needed.

Make sure to install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first, or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then find Vista (or XP) drivers that match your operating system, 32-bit for Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the drivers in the Compatibility mode

When I upgraded, I had to locate the Broadcom Netlink Gigibit Ethernet (64-bit drivers) for my system. I used ones from a similar system and they worked. Try to loacte all the drivers that you need to install. The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor is not perfect but may help lead you in some type of direction.

Good luck,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Thanks!!!!

Regarding the connectivity issue, I lost my wifi connection about an hour after posting my last note on this thread.  Can you believe it?  I find that I must return to device manager, right click the adapter and go through all the motions.  Isn't that weird?

Plus, weather here stinks just now as we are under a tornado watch until 7pm today. Bummer.  Zip it!

• gilgomez,

Sometimes during power flickers, you can have issues.

Power off the ISP modem/router and the wireless router(if any) wait 30 seconds, then turn on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then turn on the wireless router(if any)

Hopefully you should have your connection back.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick:

We have had no power spikes or outages despite crummy weather fronts because we have underground power lines, fiber, etc.  We are very lucky here and only the worst of the worst like hurricanes interrupts our power service. 

I did go through the motions with the modem and router but neither aparatus was malfunctioning.  It is strange.  I am running a wireless blueray player and my TV is connected to a wireless adapter and neither has experienced wireless connection interruptions.  I run all three and the laptop and again, no interruptions.  Only the laptop experiences unaccountable drops in the connection and let me just say that when I check, the "wireless" icon on the quick start line appears lit.  When I try the Fn +F2 the wireless icon comes up as ON on the display and I switch it on and off a few times using the Fn buttons.  I really wish I had an actual hard switch or button on the notebook because maybe it is the whole software switching that causes the problem?  Don't know but the ONLY thing that works is to return to device manager and open up the network adapters, go through each and check to disable and enable again.  That then gets me a connection.  When that fails, I simply restart the machine after the whole device manager thing and then it connects back up flawlessly.  Go figure how weird.

I can cope with the occassional flawed connection if it doesn't happen with more frequency but I think it important we document these matters via this forum so that the Dell folks can review the situation and find the root cause.  Maybe the next generation of XPS notebooks will not have this problem.  Hope so.

Thanks again for the awesome help especially the Windows 7 -32bit upgrade on the old tower.  I am a chicken, haven't done it yet but if I have time this weekend I will definitely attack that project.  The info you provided about the drivers and correct order is critical and is what I was seeking before undertaking the project so thanks!

Have a great day everyone....it's going to be 80 degrees here today and later we expect a "cold front" of about 48 degrees at night.  Sorry, got to brag....living in south Florida rocks!

gilgomez

XPS-17, i7 740, Nvidia 445, 8gb DDR3

• gilgomez,

We have underground wireing where we mmoved to, also. The wires still come above the ground at the older developements and that can cause power flickers. Try...

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Windows Vista (I think this is the same as Windows 7)

How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services Don't think this one will work.

Does your wireless adapter have...

Start, control panel, device manager, network, adapter, advanced. Look and see if it has antenna diversity, some adapters do and some don't. If it's there, switch it from Auto to Aux and see if it's any better.

What type of security are you using in your wireless router? What channel?

Did you try these tweaks?

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

#DellRockStar

•  

I ve just got my new XPS 15 yesterday and I am suffering from the same (identical)problem Crying  as  HANSONAS .at first trial  ,it would recognise the network but not connect to it, then  after changing encryption it started to some times connecting  many other not(my router is b/g ),also the router is fine because it works with 2 other laptop at same distance  .I also tried it  outside and it worked within 3 feet from a cisco router that i am not sure if it supports 802.11n or not ,but i tried like  5 successive times and it connected each time.I don't know if it's a compatibility issue with my home router it's a Huawei Echolife HG520b

Plz ,if you have any solution for it could u help as soon as possible as i am even expected to travel outside my country (with the laptop) within the next few days and i am would rather not replace it as i may not have enough time to test the new one before travelling.

I am crossing fingers hoping that a soft-solution exists

thx in advance

• Nafea,

Try reading...

http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/adapters/6250/index.htm

Here are My Intel WiFi 5100 AGN Connectivity Settings hopefully your settings should be similar.

I'd also check the wires on the wireles card. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL501X/en/sm/minicard.htm#wp1180236

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I also had this issue and it was solved relatively easy. Before, if i tried to stream a Youtube video it would time out before it completed the stream so i would have to refresh the page, also, if i did a speed test the speed would be eratic and again time out. I solved this by right clicking on the battery icon, choose "Power Options". Change the first option from "Balanced" too "High Performance". I think the wireless card was constantly switching itself on and off in an attempt to save battery life. Since changing the Power options, it seems to be working fine altough its still a little to early to be 100% sure as i only did it this morning.