[M15X] "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

[M15X] "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

This question is not answered
Specs--
Model: Alienware M15X
RAM: 2x2GB Kingston RAM modules
(If you need to know anything else, let me know. I will do my best to find this information).

Hello! I am having a world of trouble trying to fix my computer. What happened was I installed an Alienware theme on my laptop, and while uninstalling it, my computer crashed. Now I have the message "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum," in white text on a black background when I try and boot into Windows 7. My guess is that my boot image is corrupt because the theme made its own boot image, and when the uninstall crashed, the file became corrupt. Since then, I have tried booting Ubuntu from a USB drive, same error. Booted with one stick of RAM each (they seem fine), same error. Made a System Repair disk using another 64-bit Windows 7 computer of mine (my computer doesn't seem to recognize the CD-R in the DVD drive), same error after some noises. I tried pressing F8 to  get to the Advanced Boot Options menu, but the same error text pops up. I can access my BIOS. 

All help appreciated. I am desperate to get this issue fixed. 
All Replies
  • Sinjection
    Since then, I have tried booting Ubuntu from a USB drive, same error.

Think about that ... all that's excluded and it still doesn't work.

I would guess HDD, but if the Ubuntu Live-DVD/USB doesn't write to drive AT ALL, has to be something else.

Maybe remove HDD and try Ubuntu-USB again. If that still doesn't work, it would have to be motherboard, video card, AC Adapter ... something like that.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.