Aurora R4 won't display anything

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Aurora R4 won't display anything

This question is answered

Okay so I've loved this computer to death since I got it about 2-4 weeks ago.  It's been amazing.

I had this computer running off of an hdmi cord, connected to a 50" TV.   Everything was working perfectly, no issues.  I had this computer by default use the TV as its primary.

Just recently I moved my setup to another room in the house and plugged everything back in.  Now my computer doesn't send any signals through the hdmi cord to the TV.  My TV just says "No signal".  I tried 2 other hdmi cords and I got nothing.  Today I tried plugging in an old LCD monitor I got with my Dell XPS 410 in 2007 via the DVI port.  I rebooted the computer and it still doesn't display anything.  All the monitor does is show text on the screen that says "Going into powersave mode" and just shuts off.  The computer isn't in powersave mode because I have a Alienware FX setup for that- and it makes the computer glow yellow.  Which its not doing.. its using my normal FX setup when the computer is on and operable.

I've tried having both hdmi/dvi plugged in and still nothing.  I'm basically stuck with a big powerhouse computer that I can't do anything with.

Is there a way I can reset my graphics drivers(I'm using 2 GTX 555's) to make it use my LCD screen?  It's really difficult to change any settings on your computer without being able to see.  So it would have to be some kind of internal function/shortcut on the keyboard.

Verified Answer
  • When using a SLI setup on an Aurora R4, the MAIN card is always the bottom one.  But the people in the assembly shop DONT KNOW that, so they put the plastic cover on the wrong card!

See replies in this topic:

en.community.dell.com/.../19467384.aspx

Aurora R4

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K OC @ 4.1GHz (Suppose to)

Dual Asus GTX 670 2gb SLI

20GB RAM

All Replies
  • Heito

Today I tried plugging in an old LCD monitor I got with my Dell XPS 410 in 2007 via the DVI port.

I rebooted the computer and it still doesn't display anything.  

If ...

- that old LCD monitor and DVI cable are good

- the old LCD monitor is set to use the DVI input (on it's own internal control menu)

- you tried all the available DVI ports on the back (between the 2 cards), yes, try them all Smile

... and none display at least the AlienHead (while BIOS boots/posts) ...

I would say you need to call phone support and have them help you get it fixed. Sounds like one or both of your video cards are bad or some other serious problem.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• I assume the lcd monitor/connector cable is okay.  Its the same configuration I used to make the TV connection work in the first place.. I'll give tech support a call when they're open.

And I did try the ports on my second video card.. same issue.  Displays nothing.

• The DVI port(s) on the secondary card might be disabled.

The DVI ports on the Primary card ... well, I don't think there is a way to disable them (even if you tried). That's a very basic function (getting an image on BIOS boot).

You are sure you are testing now with DVI ? It's NOT DisplayPort, HDMI, or VGA ... right?

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Yes I'm positive its DVI.  It fits perfectly with the cable, and the end of it is white instead of blue.  I did try a VGA cable I had lying around but it didn't fit. :P

The port I'm using is actually a mini display port, but it comes with the cable that turns it into an HDMI.

• Actually, now that were on the topic of a serious hardware failure.. I was having issues with my graphic cards.  Sometimes when I alt+tab out of games I would see strange colors on my desktop, followed by a graphic driver crash.

• Maybe not relevant, but something to check: are you connected to top or bottom card?

Aurora R4

20GB RAM

• I was using the top card, the bottom was blocked off by a plastic bar.

I just talked to a Dell rep, he had me unplug the computer and hold the power button down for 1 minute.  After I booted up my computer everything started showing up again on my LCD monitor.

Now here's the funny part, he instructed me to pull the plastic block thing on the second card off and plug into the 2nd card.  Boom, the 2nd card worked like magic AND showed my BIOs.  

So my big question is why the heck is the 2nd card blocked off, when the 2nd one is treated as the primary? Also why did holding the power button for a minute make everything show up again?

So many questions.. but I'm happy to have everything back to normal.  Thanks for all the replies.

• When using a SLI setup on an Aurora R4, the MAIN card is always the bottom one.  But the people in the assembly shop DONT KNOW that, so they put the plastic cover on the wrong card!

See replies in this topic:

en.community.dell.com/.../19467384.aspx

Aurora R4

20GB RAM

• That's hilarious..

Well I'm now plugged into the second card and everything works perfectly.  My BIOs actually show up on my TV which I'm very happy about.  I can't believe I spent so much time plugged into the wrong card.. wow haha.