New M17x R4 Cannot run SMART tests on hard drive in AlienAutopsy

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

New M17x R4 Cannot run SMART tests on hard drive in AlienAutopsy

• I've just received my new M17x R4 fresh from the factory and I noticed on the first automatic scheduled diagnostic scan via AlienAutopsy the hard drive scan fails on the two SMART tests simply saying "cannot run".

My first thought was the SATA Operation mode which I checked in the BIOS and was set to RAID, this made no sense to me as I only have a single hard drive setup at the moment, so I switched it to AHCI, upon logging back into Windows a few drivers were installed and prompted to be rebooted again, at this point I thought I'd solved it, however I ran the same test again and it still said cannot run on the two SMART tests.

I find it very hard to believe that any hard drive in todays market doesn't have SMART support/enabled.

The hard drive is the 500 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM drive selectable when purchasing an M17x R4 right now. The specific model number:

WDC WD5000BPKT-75PK4T0

Can someone tell me what could be the problem, I hope this isn't the sign of a defective drive...

• Can you run a PSA? On startup press F12 several times and select diagnostics, if it comes out with any error on the HDD then there may be an issue with it but if that does not come up with any error then just disregard the Autopsy error.

Luis Porras
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• It passed on the quick test, I didn't continue with the extensive test. It seems fine I just found such an error really strange.

• Yeah, the extensive test is only for the memory.

In this case I would say that everything is fine, in the case that you ever have any issue, visit us here or on any of the links in my signature.

Luis Porras
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• Well after tinkering around AlienAutopsy now seems to run the SMART tests on my hard drive. Might of been a glitch in the software.

• Awesome! that's what I thought, when you suspect HDD errors it is always better to run the PSA. :)

Luis Porras

• Yes I didn't think it was faulty. I mean I know Dell runs the standard diagnostic checks during production when your order is being built, I know for a fact my hard drive has SMART so I just used the Data Lifeguard software from WD to check the SMART properties