Alienware Command Center Error

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware Command Center Error

• I've reinstalled my Windows 7 OS and downloaded and installed the drivers on Dell support, after installing Alienware Command Center I've been getting this error message: 

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Profiles.Classes.ProfileRepositoryClass.get_IsManualFanSetting()
    at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ProfileManagerClass.Init()
    at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main.processWindowsLoaded()
    at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main.Window_Loaded(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
    at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
    at MS.Internal.FrameworkObject.OnLoaded(RoutedEventArgs args)
    at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
    at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
    at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
    at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
    at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
    at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Can anyone give me some enlightenment?
    PS: Excuse my English if I make any mistakes. 

• The CPU cooler and sensors are controlled by the MIO-Board, so trouble-shooting should start there.

Shut-down machine properly so it will turn off. Unplug from wall or UPS. Hold down power button for 20 seconds to dissipate any electricity in machine and MIO-Board. Wait another 20 secs before powering up. See if that very simple procedure resets MIO-Board.

Run Dell Diagnostic on the MIO-Board. If Dell Diagnostics doesn't detect a MIO-Board at startup, the MIO-Board tests will not be available or listed. All the other tests that ARE listed, will likely test good. If this is happening, it must be corrected first. You really have to observe these MIO-Board tests, because the results are very important to the progression of steps to the final diagnosis or repair. If the MIO-Board tests fail in Dell Diagnostics, there is really no chance it will operate in Windows with Command Center software.

If the Dell Diagnostics MIO-Board tests pass, this tells us quite a bit:

1. The MIO-Board is getting power

2. The MIO-Board is connected to the motherboard's USB-1 port header (and communication is working).

3. The MIO-Board is operational and not locked up or in a loop.

4. The various devices (lights, fans, etc.) that the tests successfully exercised are connected properly.

Dell Diagnostic (specifically the MIO-Board tests). This will check it and also has been known to reset it in some fashion. If it is detected and tests good, but still won't work, try re-installing the software ...

Completely Uninstall Command Center and reboot.

Power down, unplug the power cord from the back of you PC, then press and hold the power button down for 10 seconds to drain residual power from MIO board to further reset it and to insure a trouble-free CC install. Then, power back up and go into Windows.

Disable your Anti-Virus software.

Install the latest Command Center (for desktops) and reboot. v2.6.17.0

Note: The first time this version is installed, it will upgrade the MIO-Board's firmware to v2.x

Microsoft Net 4.0 Client Framework is required for install. You can get it from Windows Update.

Test operation.

Never use the Upgrade feature inside Command Center. Always, uninstall old, reboot, install new fresh.

-----------------

It would have been better to dis-connect the MIO-Board from the motherboard during Win7 install and driver installing ...

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19376654/19866250.aspx#19866250

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• It passed the Dell Diagnostics, did the clean uninstall/install and still did not work. Version on Dell Support is v2.7.25.0. Any ideias?

PS: Thanks for the info on the clean OS install.

• sysbr34kr

It passed the Dell Diagnostics, did the clean uninstall/install and still did not work. Version on Dell Support is v2.7.25.0. Any ideias?

PS: Thanks for the info on the clean OS install.

OK, I have an idea. Only do what I say.

So, when you say Dell Diags "passed" you mean the MIO-Board shows up, is tested, and you can do things like change the light colors and change fan speeds?

If so, that means the MIO_Board isn't "bricked" and you have a chance in getting it going again.

Stop rebuilding install (installing programs or restoring data files) until we get this part working.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• I can't actually run the program, I get this message under Thermal Controller:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Profiles.Classes.ProfileRepositoryClass.get_IsManualFanSetting()

at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ProfileManagerClass.Init()

at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main.processWindowsLoaded()

at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main.Window_Loaded(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)

at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)

at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)

at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

This under Error:

at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.updateProfilesNavigationSelection()

at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.createNavigation()

at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.loading(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.OnResize()

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)

And when I try to exec AlienFX I get this pop-up over and over until I close the CC process:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

• Forgot to mention that the computer lighting is working, but stuck on the default blue, as I cannot acess the program to change it.

• sysbr34kr

I can't actually run the program, I get this message under Thermal Controller:

And when I try to exec AlienFX I get this pop-up over and over until I close the CC process:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Re-read my question. It was about Dell Diags (which runs outside of Windows). You can do all that inside Dell Diags.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• sysbr34kr

Forgot to mention that the computer lighting is working, but stuck on the default blue, as I cannot acess the program to change it.

Right, that is normal.

The MIO-Board is doing the last thing is was told to do.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Alright, I did misunderstood you. I re-did the Dell Diagnostics test on the MIO board, Sensors, ALX and FAN, all worked and passed. Also did the PSA+ and got the following error on my HD 1:

Error Code: 2000-0146

Don't know if it's related to anything. And also wrote down something from the PSA+ for the MIO board:

Master I/O Device Software Configuration Information

USB ID: 187C:0513

MIO Firmware Version: 00020200

System: Aurora

ALX Feature: No

MIO Board Version: 0

Test Result: Pass

• No problem (just try to read slower. If you don't understand something, better to ask than to guess).

As for the HDD Error, doesn't look good

Error Code: 2000-0146

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=266787#HDD

Not sure what is up with that. You never said WHY you decided to do all this ... did your hard-drive crash or something?

Very good info and testing on MIO-Board. Sounds like it's ok and not "bricked".

Others have reported your problem:  After Win-7 clean install ... MIO-board tests good in Dell Diags, but Command Center still won't communicate with MIO-Board in Windows (even though Command Center seemed to install ok without errors).

Still have some ideas on how to get it going ... but answer hard-drive question first. Did you try running Diags again (maybe it was just a temporary glitch). Did you have any trouble install Windows or any of the drivers (that should have given the HDD a good test/work-out).

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• I was setting up a game options, when I pressed ok the computer froze. Restarting there was an error on the OS, so I started repairing, to no success. Later on I tried restoring the HD, but then again, no success. So that my only option was to format the partition and reinstall the OS. I face a bunch of random errors on the way, but eventually made it. I have no ideia what caused this phenomenon... I'll try those steps about the HD, thanks again.

• Still got the same error code. All other HD tests passed. Any ideias?

• Sounds like the HD is going bad. Not just that PSA+error, but the events leading up to the reformat. Typical of a failing HD.

What is the exact make and model?

Try HD-Tune (free version - Not Pro), Long/Full Error Scan (not Quick)

www.hdtune.com/download.html

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Hard Drive - WDC WD5000AAKX-753CA1 ATA Device

Vendor: Western Digital

Model Number: WDC WD5000AAKX-753CA1

Seria Number: WD-WMAYU2062692

Marketed Size: 500.1 GB

Running HD-Tune Scan right now.

• Finished the scan: