M17x.....should I pull the trigger???

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

M17x.....should I pull the trigger???

• Ok peeps.....im thinking of buying an M17x but I have to be honest there are more than a few complaints out there so I thought I would ask , honestly, is it worth the money and are these complaints outliers or is there a genuine issue with these machines and the after sales support?Personal experience only and marks out of 10 for each question is more than enough!!Cheeeeeers

• well honestly my experience with first line support.. rated 0

tier 2 support 5

supervisor 9.9 (when avaliable)

availability of supervisor 5

ability to handle my concerns and issues with prompt resolution. 9  

unisys outsourced tech  minus 9.8

honestly my M17X R1 ran like a dream  till around the 6 month mark then hell broke loose, swaping parts replacing  eveything even upgraded for the troubles but with no success so i was swapped for a M17X R2 upgraded even further (similar priced machine with dual video cards..  got like 2 weks out of it and one 5870M failed, that system never posted again after the outsourced tech that thought he knew everything killed it, they sent out another motherboard and 2 video cards and alais dead still so tech pushed for a replacement system (#2) or 3rd system would have had)  such i recived in 3 weeks great open it up, laptop looks like it went through hell  scratched up chips marks scratches on screen , looks like someone had a bad day at the office laptop LOL , so whatever i got old machine i just swap the screen , but that machine wasnt worth the magnezium is was made of. so in the end got a brand new system not a refurb with max spec minus ssd's and sold it the day i got it 4th system(3rd replacement)  and done with alienware.

there is a few other on here like league and so fourth that had severe  issues but just search forums and you will see :O  but hey you should try some of the other companies warranty, i had speaker fail on a system i purchased they wanted me to return ENTIRE system cause somehting i plug into the tower failed...  argh.....(not mentioning company either)

in reality the support was there and always got the help needed just was slow at times and sometimes needed to call 3-4 times to get a tech that dont read from a screen, but last time  i called dell support was january 2011, last system ordered was a dell inspiron 17R switch and that was march 2011 so i did purchase another dell after i scrapped the alienware

• The problem with using this forum as a reference is that people generally only come here if they have problems. This means that you rarely get to see any happy bunnies but they do exist, they just don't hang out here. Many can be found on the Notebook Review forum and on the Alienware Arena forums.

That's the positive stuff but for me the #1 reason for never buying Alienware again is because Dell only allow you to use their own drivers and they abandon driver support once the release is 12 months old. When I say the release I mean I have an M17x R2 which was new in March 2011 however, unknown to me, the R2 had been released long before that and the last graphics card driver update was 10/30/2010. Sooo, they sell the machine as a top-end gaming machine but won't support drivers past 12 months. Ridiculous!!

There are plenty of other things that make me mad but I won't bore you with those. Let's just say that when the M17x R1 was released it had the most amazing Alien FX lighting which you can see if you do a search on YouTube. Then Dell updated the Command Center and ruined its lighting abilities. Gone are the days when you could create incredible lighting effects. Now you just have a multicolored keyboard. Most people are unaware of what the R1 delivered so they are happy with their colored keyboard but I remember what my R2 was like before the updated CC and it makes me weep.

• I may sound cliche'd from many people but I advise do not buy anything from DELL/ALIENWARE, aside from components on their machines being notoriously defective, their customer/technical support department is complete garbage.  I have a different model machine (AREA 51 X58 with 3-year warranty) and sent it off 17JAN2012 to get an external power button fixed to I dont have to pop open the machine and turn it on through the motherboard....It is 14MAY now and They have told me responses rangning from we are attempting to locate your machine...The techinican that was to work on your machine wasn't in today, to we will have an update to your case in 72-96 business hours and they don't call back.  Additionally they deny requests for talking to higher customer/technical support management to expidite situation.....Think im lying DELL/ALIENWARE reference your call recorded database

• try an origin pc...i heard they are the original alienware people before they were bought out by dell...i wish i know about them before i bought mine...tech support in america and they made it so u don't need to have dell drivers to make anything work correctly.

• It might be wise to check out what Origin owners have to say on whatever forums they frequent. Perhaps their PC's are no better than Alienware's? Personally I find them really ugly but that's just my opinion.

• I have owned many new/used Alienwares the past two years that I have purchased thru Dell and Ebay.  I am never satisfied and keep buying and selling to always have the latest.  Out of 6 Alienware Laptop / Desktops I have owned in that time, I have never had any real issues.  I have had driver issues but they were easily fixed thru this forum.  I also had other small issues that were resolved.  I must add I have never dealt with Dell Support; i am typically in here looking for solutions to my small issues.  It seems most frustrations come out of dealing with Dell Support.  

If you are computer savy, I would say buy it. If you are not computer savy but are patient, I would say buy it.  If you are not computer savy and are impatient, I would not get one.  I say that because I have seen many small issues on this forum that could be easity fixed that are made into something real big.  People tend to be impatient with these machines. And I don't blame them.  They spend big money on these and expect perfection.  But no matter what you get, there will always be issues.  

Alienware 17 - i7-4700MQ - 16 GB MEM - 750 GB  - 4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 780M

• Why not? My M17X R3 has been pretty good other than a couple of things that needed to be addressed. on both occosions it took much more effort on my behalf that I fing reasonable

M17X R4
    Core i7 3820QM
    GTX 675m
    256Gb Dell/Alienware Samsung PM 830
    250Gb Western Digital Scorpio Black  
    Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
    16Gb  DDR3 1600

• My luck has been hit and misses with Alienware. I have owned an Area 51, Aurora R3, M15X, M14X and now my M17X R3.

I ended up selling the Area 51 due to unresolved problems 6 months into ownership. I bought and returned 3 Aurora R3’s over a 60 day period due to total system freezes that required a forced shut down with the power button to resolve. Both desktops were a total fail as far as ownership experience.

My M15X and M14X were flawless and my M17X R3 has been pretty good other than a couple of things that needed to be addressed within the first two months. However with the M17X it took far too much time and effort than I find even close to reasonable.  

As mentioned by another poster, the tech from Unisys Systems!  On the initial visit he was a -10.  It took four days for him to show up to do the repair (he claimed he could not get in touch with me despite having my home, work and mobile numbers) then he ended up breaking my bottom cover. That alone took multiple calls and emails over a couple of weeks to get resolved.

Then I had an issue with the soft touch coating peeling on the top front corners.  I sent emails with pictures to awcc-resolution_experts@dell.com and got a phone call a few days later where I expressed my reservations about another Unisys Systems tech doing a complete tear down of the machine.

Then nothing for 7-10 days so I finally had to start complaining on FB page and twitter to get some action taken. Thankfully the tech that came out (don’t know if he was from Unisys) was excellent and handled the repair easily.

Bottom line is the machine is a beast, I love it and I would not trade it for anything.

However in my experience with this machine and my Area 51 a few years ago when you DO need service it is a far more painful and labor intensive process than it should be!  Considering the $$$$$ spent on these machines the level of service provided by Dell/Alienware is appalling at times.

M17X R4
    Core i7 3820QM
    GTX 675m
    16Gb  DDR3 1600

• Thanks for all the responses, very helpful  although I have to say I find the level of complaints about Dell service disconcerting . Im torn between this and the MSI GT70....the Alienware for the obvious aesthetics but the MSI for almost everything else.

• Well  you might want to  research customer feedback with service on the other brands you are considering. Dell has an excellent warranty on the AW machines = next day in home (usually as my post states)

Maybe if you pay the additional premium for US based support the service experience is better?

M17X R4
    Core i7 3820QM
    GTX 675m
    16Gb  DDR3 1600

• well every company has its issues....  

Toshiba..... P4, 7 years old runnign as file server on network, running like a champ (never had to deal with toshiba support)

asus is return to them and not to bad took mine 3 weeks turn around paid shipping to them they paid return ... no biggy

acer.... wanted me to ship my laptop from northern alberta to the US for keyboard replacement under warrant and pay shipping both ways, like  im NO WAY , bought a keyboard online for half the price of shipping one way

MSI , i still have my MSI system i purchased in  winter of 07/08 core has a 8600M  and still runs solid (daughter using it now

alienware.... need not go there

dell mainstream, yet to kill anyone of them  my XPS M1530 (winter of 07/08) still fast as ever  sister has it now and only issue i ever had was nvidia chipset failure and that was nvidia's issue

i have a old P3 dell laptop(linux based nework router) a P4 Dell Laptop,(grandmother now has)  a M1530(sister now has)  .... all between 4 and10 years old and between them only 2 service calls.... my alienware .... averaged 2 calls aday LOL and current wifes Insiron 17R switch is solid so far  after 1 year no issues

oh and the all important MDG system argh.... fail support, fail everything, got way back but you know what, all that failed was the hdd i swapped it myself and been good since. (bought when mdg had there own systems)

• I might be alone in this experience because I note that people have generally good things to say about Asus but my wife bought one 4 years ago and it came with a 2 year return to factory, 1 week turnaround warranty. She had to use that warranty and it did not come back within the promised 7 days. In fact a month later we had to scream and shout to get them to send it back and when it arrived they had not touched it!

She had taken out a separate insurance on it so a claim to her insurance company got the machine replaced with a Dell. We will never go near Asus again!!

• Oh, and I forgot to mention we sent it to them in its original box and packaging to make sure it stood the journey without being damaged. It came back in a plain cardboard box padded with polystyrene foam balls. The lid was significantly scratched too!

I asked them why they did not return it in the original box we sent it to them in and their reply was "We throw all original packaging away. I you look at the terms of your warranty you are not allowed to send it to us in anything other than a plain cardboard box."

I HATE Asus!!!!