setting appropriate cpu values for bb-cputab - BB Custom Topics A - D - Big Brother - Dell Community

setting appropriate cpu values for bb-cputab

Big Brother

Big Brother
Access more than 800 custom test extensions to share or use in resolving your IT challenges.

setting appropriate cpu values for bb-cputab

This question has been answered by robert.croteau

I have never fully understood how Big Brother uses uptime between os's (unix) to determine the cpu values.

Is there a published formula for determining what the correct values should be set to for the bb-cputab file in BBHOME/etc/ to get more accurate notifications?

Verified Answer
  • as the CPU test is based on the load average. Usually, a LA of 1.00 is optimal (a 1.00 from uptime means 100 in BB-speak, the decimal is removed). So by default, yellow is set to 150 and red to 300. Per experience it was set to those values, otherwise, if they were lower the'd be more false positives. Having said that, some OSes (I believe Solaris is like that), aggreate the load average of all CPUs and not the average, so if you have a 4cpu server, yellow should be 600 and red 1200. make sense?

All Replies
  • What OS are you using? I setup a script for CPU Busy time which I posted yetserday, not sure if it is viewable as of yet. I used mpstat to get the data on CPU. I didn't like the uptime values for the CPU times. Take a look at the Performance catagory and see if you see it posted yet...if not let me know and I can give you more info on it.

• as the CPU test is based on the load average. Usually, a LA of 1.00 is optimal (a 1.00 from uptime means 100 in BB-speak, the decimal is removed). So by default, yellow is set to 150 and red to 300. Per experience it was set to those values, otherwise, if they were lower the'd be more false positives. Having said that, some OSes (I believe Solaris is like that), aggreate the load average of all CPUs and not the average, so if you have a 4cpu server, yellow should be 600 and red 1200. make sense?

• Paul, I have a variety of *nix systems, AIX, HPUX and RH Linux, I will look at your script to see if it helps, thank you

Robert, That helps me a lot, thank you, at least I can create a basic formula for how I want the settings.

Thank you guys for the responses.