How to configure remote client deployment for Windows clients - BB Custom Topics A - D - Big Brother - Dell Community

How to configure remote client deployment for Windows clients

Big Brother

Big Brother
Access more than 800 custom test extensions to share or use in resolving your IT challenges.

How to configure remote client deployment for Windows clients

This question is not answered
# Configuration file for BB Client auto deployment
# Each line in this file presents the information for a remote host.
# The definition in each line follows the key:value format.
# The current defined keys are:
# host: Required The remote host name or IP address on which the BB client will be deployed.
# user: Optional The administrator user ID of the remote host. The format is domain\user.
# If domain is not defined, the current domain that runs the deployment application
# will be used
# password: Optional The administrator password of the remote host. If "user" or "password" is not
# defined, the current account that runs the deployment application will be used to log
# into the remote machine
# display: Optional The BB Server host name or IP address that will display the data for the remote machine.
# The default value is localhost
# port: The port number of BB Server that is used to receive the data from the remote host.
# The default value is 1984
# installdir: Optional The installtion Directory. If the directory name contains space, use the
# format like "c:\my directory"
# The default directory is "C:\Program File\Quest Software\BBNT\..."
#For example:
# host:machine.domain
# host:machine.domain user:machine.domain\Administrator password:Administrator1 display:10.4.49.200 port:1984
# host:machine.domain user:PROD\myuser password:mypassed installdir:c:\BigBrother
# host:machine.domain user:PROD\myuser password:mypassed installdir:"c:\Big Brother"
All Replies
  • Is this the extent of our ability to remote deploy? For me, the work of setting up BB is specifying all the values for all the tests on all the hosts and keeping the installation consistent across many hosts. Is there a way to at least set a baseline set of processes and services, set what built in trending we want and don't want?

Is there a doc on this feature?

Jim Graczyk

• starting from V4.50, you can specify processes and services for each remote host:

# Configuration file for BB Client auto deployment
    # Each line in this file presents the information for a remote host.
    # The definition in each line follows the key:value format.
    # The current defined keys are:

# host: Required The remote host name or IP address on which the BB client will be deployed.
    # user: Optional The administrator user ID of the remote host. The format is domain\user.
    # If domain is not defined, the current domain that runs the deployment application
    # will be used
    # password: Optional The administrator password of the remote host. If "user" or "password" is not
    # defined, the current account that runs the deployment application will be used to log
    # into the remote machine
    # display: Optional The BB Server host name or IP address that will display the data for the remote machine.
    # The default value is localhost
    # port: The port number of BB Server that is used to receive the data from the remote host.
    # The default value is 1984
    # installdir: Optional The installtion Directory. If the directory name contains space, use the
    # format like "c:\my directory"
    # The default directory is "C:\Program File\Quest Software\BBNT\..."
    # startbbclient: Optional startbbclient:no - if you do not want to start the BB client after the installation
    # The default value is "yes"
    # aliasname: Optional Set your own alias name for the remote machine.
    # bbpage: Optional BB page host
    # The default value is 127.0.0.1
    # defaults: Optional The default thresholds
    # The default value is "CPU:80:95 DISK:90:95 PAGEFILE:80:90"
    # disklist: Optional The disk list for monitoring.
    # The default value is none.
    # ignoremsgs: Optional The ignored message pattern for message monitoring.
    # procs: Optional The processes to be monitored
    # services: Optional The services to be monitored.
    # pagelevels: Optional Colors to raise notification.
    # The default value is "red purple".
    # saveloglocation: Optional External log path.
    # memlevels: Memory thresholds.
    # The default value is "PHYS:95:98 COMMIT:80:90".
    # tests: Perform/Trend/Disable for each test
    # The default value is "procs:P msgs:P cpu:P disk:P netprotl:P mem:P pagefile:P svcs:P netdata:D wmitest:D"
    # Where: P - perform D - disable T - trend
    # cpuupdayscolor: Machine reboot color
    # The default value is Yellow

#For example:

# host:machine.domain
    # host:machine.domain user:machine.domain\Administrator password:Administrator1 display:10.4.49.200 port:1984
    # host:machine.domain user:PROD\myuser password:mypassed installdir:c:\BigBrother
    # host:machine.domain user:PROD\myuser password:mypassed installdir:"c:\Big Brother"

for example, you can do:

host:machine.domain user:machine.domain\Administrator password:Administrator1 display:10.4.49.200 port:1984 procs:"ccApp:N:1 alg:N:1" services:Alerter:R:R:N

For procs and services, the same format as you see on BB client configuration GUI

• I have to admit I thought the original post was Feb 7, 2012. I had heard something was added in 4.5 and I've just jumped from 4.4 to 4.6. Can you point me to the official document for this?

Jim Graczyk

• After you install BB server 4.5/4.6, open BB help page (click ? icon on BB page), then click "search" button, search for "remote deploy", you will see the contents I described.

Thanks!

• Are there any better examples than the one in the help file? I was able to use the example to hardcode one trending value in one test, but the example is VERY hard to follow when it comes to more than one trend line per graph and instances.

I'm trying to come up with a generic trending subrouting, but it's unclear how the data is to be organized in the xml section of the status message. Let's use weather data as a simple example. If I have 5 current readings of different instrument for Temp, Relative Humidity, and Barmetric pressure, how would one produce trends from this? Assume I want the 5 temps values on one graph, the 5 RH's on a second graph and the 5 barometric pressures on the third graph. Each value would need a separate color for the line on each graph. How would one create the xml. Are each of the 5 temp reading separate instances? Or temp, RH and Barometric pressure instance? Which are objects?

Can anyone point me to a more meaningful description of the xml format BB uses?

Jim Graczyk