Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2023 12:26

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell Precision 7550 and 7750 System BIOS - 1.24.0 Breaks Docking Station USB C

After months of WD19S docking station not working due to a bios issue, Dell fixed it.

A new Forced windows update bios 1.24.0 now breaks USB C again.

The Docking station will only power through 1 USB not both at the same time!!!

The Laptop powers down at it can't provide enough power.

Also my screens don't work either.

Why don't dell test before release.. there is no roll back with this BIOS either so probably have wait another 6 -12 months to use the Dock and all the accessories attached.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

August 17th, 2023 17:24

@DELL-Nathalia M​ 

Thank you for the updates. It also does not work for me on a 7550. Still no display after plugging in a 180W adapter and then the dock using a 240W. One light on the dock USB-C connectors, whichever plugged in first. My only external display is 4k HDMI, only works plugged into the laptop directly still. 

While in the office today I tried several docks and could only get a WD15 to even give me USB and network. An old Thunderbolt dock isn't even recognizing for charging any longer. It seems that thunderbolt is completely non-functional. 

August 18th, 2023 02:47

I was with Dell support for hours with the same issue. The engineering team is aware of the issue but they don't have a date for the new BIOS release to fix this issue. 

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 18th, 2023 13:16

FYI - Dell Engineering is aware of this issue and are currently working diligently on a solution. No ETA yet, but will keep you posted. 

In the meantime we are recommending you also plug the AC adaptor that shipped with your system directly into your system to provide sufficient power to your system.

(edited)

14 Posts

August 18th, 2023 13:44

@DELL-Nathalia M​ The "diligent" solution would be to re-release the previous BIOS version as an interim incremental version "1.24.1" hotfix to allow people to get back to work while Dell Engineering figures out what went wrong ON THEIR TIME, NOT OURS!

6 Posts

August 18th, 2023 22:09

@DELL- Nat M​ The 1.24.0 update broke my USB C so only one works at a time...  My Help Desk worked with Dell Support, and they Next Day Air shipped a new docking station to solve the problem, but it doesn't.  The problem is not the docking station, it the USB C ports in the laptop itself.

1 Message

August 19th, 2023 07:14

@JhSpear​ also got a new Docking Station via Dell Support. Still same issue

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

August 19th, 2023 18:51

As many of you noticed the problem is not the WD19DC. Replacing the WD19DC with another WD19DC does not help at all. The USB Type-C ports in the laptop are a bit broken after BIOS update.

What can be done if you have several external displays is to start using Dell dock WD19TB. This is Thunderbolt version of the WD19 family. Thunderbolt cable has enough bandwidth to run several displays and network in the single cable.

You still must use the charger provided with the laptop using WD19TB. Dock has its own charger but it's not enough. Thunderbolt cable has the same power limit as single USB Type-C cable. That's why the WD19DC has two cables. Each cable is providing about 90W. Dell Precision 7X50 requires about 180W to run at full speed.

Your local IT department may help you. But if you are at home with single laptop, you must wait the next BIOS update.

WD19 dock has replaceable head. In theory you can convert WD19DC to WD19TB.

(edited)

14 Posts

August 21st, 2023 10:51

@DELL- Nat M​ Can you PLEASE ask Dell Engineering for an update on this? It's been a week with no resolutions when they could have simply rolled back the changes for now as an interim fix. Their update broke our systems and we need something from them to get them working again, either a rolled back update or an actual fix.

6 Posts

August 21st, 2023 23:03

@DELL- Nat M​ Can we get attention back on this so something gets done to solve the problem please?

August 22nd, 2023 12:47

I was able to downgrade the BIOS to 1.22, but these issues still persist.  Downgrading does not help.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2023 15:22

Hi all,

Good News: A new BIOS will be released in mid-September to address the issue.

In the meantime, if you can't wait for the fix, please contact our agents by clicking "Get Help Now" for a temporary solution. This solution requires downgrading the BIOS and should only be attempted after the agent validates your system and receives approval to proceed with the downgrading instructions.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

14 Posts

August 22nd, 2023 16:44

@DELL- Nat M​ Thank you for the update.

(edited)

14 Posts

August 22nd, 2023 17:20

@DELL- Nat M​ It seems that it is not possible to downgrade, at least according to the representative that I chatted with. Tell engineering to re-release 1.23.1 as 1.24.1 as an interim fix.

‎12:48 PM
Thank you for writing to us. I'm Rohit from the Dell Social Media team, and I will be assisting you. Could you please explain the issue in detail, so I can assist you better?

‎12:50 PM
Hi Rohit, see the thread below. https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/precision-mobile-workstations/dell-precision-7550-and-7750-system-bios-1240-breaks-docking-station-usb-c/64d628ea0437a154c2689bb5?page=3
Per the post from Dell-Nat M, I need to downgrade my BIOS so that I can resume normal operations of my system until the issue caused by the recent BIOS update is fixed in September.

‎12:51 PM
Okay, may I know the current BIOS version installed on the system?

‎12:53 PM
That's the version everyone is complaining about, it broke docking.

‎12:53 PM
I apologize for the inconvenience. Please click on the below link to download the BIOS version 1.23 https://dell.to/3qDJ491

‎12:54 PM
I have it

‎12:55 PM
After installing the BIOS 1.23 still, having the USB c port issue?

‎12:57 PM
I have previously tried to install that version but during the reboot the system told me that it was unable to rollback to a previous version, even though I have that option enabled in the BIOS. The download notes tell you that you can't downgrade when there are security updates and important fixes. I thought maybe there was something else to be done according to the post from Dell-Nat M
DELL- Nat M Community Manager Community Manager 0 22-08-2023 11:22 AM
Hi all, Good News: A new BIOS will be released in mid-September to address the issue. In the meantime, if you can't wait for the fix, please contact our agents by clicking "Get Help Now" for a temporary solution. This solution requires downgrading the BIOS and should only be attempted after the agent validates your system and receives approval to proceed with the downgrading instructions.

‎1:00 PM
Please bear with me as I am working on your case.

‎1:03 PM
Ok, thank you

‎1:03 PM
Thank you.

‎1:08 PM
​Thank you for staying connected. I appreciate your patience. Once BIOS is upgraded it cannot be downgraded. We already raised this with the product engineering team. We have to wait for a new BIOS update, the probable time is mid-September

August 22nd, 2023 17:46

@DELL- Nat M Please tell your engineering team that the community has determined that the give timeline for the fix of mid-September is unacceptable and that it will be delivered by 8/25. There is obviously no quality control as these firmwares constantly break Dell products, so it should be no trouble getting it out by 8/25. Or, you could take @ShanePitman advice and just re-release the last working firmware as the update (temporarily) so that all of us users of your low quality products are no longer hindered by Dell's incompetence.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2023 19:14

Understood, thanks @ShanePitman​. I'll send them the chat you just shared and ask for a new position. I'll let you know as soon as I get a reply. 

No Events found!