Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2024 07:01

Unresponsive Touchpad on Dell Latitude 7440

Dear Dell Support Team,

I am reaching out to report an issue with my Dell Latitude 7440 laptop's touchpad. Recently, I have encountered several problems with its functionality:

1. The touchpad is unresponsive at times.
  2. Occasionally, the touchpad seems to click on its own without any input from me.
  3. When I attempt to click, it sometimes registers as if multiple keys are being pressed simultaneously.

I have tried troubleshooting methods such as updating drivers and adjusting settings, but the problem persists.

I kindly request your assistance in diagnosing and resolving this issue as soon as possible. If further information or diagnostic steps are needed from my end, please let me know, and I will be happy to provide them.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2024 17:27

If this is the current Latitude 7440, it is under warranty -- contact Dell for a warranty repair.

If it's an E7440 (older model from 2013), replace the palmrest (which includes the touchpad assembly).

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2024 11:45

First thing to check is the condition of the battery -- a malfunctioning trackpad is very often the first symptom of a swollen battery.  If the battery shows any sign of swelling, remove and dispose of it immediately.

1 Rookie

• 

52 Posts

April 23rd, 2024 11:55

Check your touchpad settings to ensure it's enabled. Here's a general guideline (might differ slightly depending on your Windows version):

• Press the Windows key + Q to open the search bar.
  • Type "Touchpad settings" and select the relevant option.
  • Look for a toggle or option to enable the touchpad and make sure it's turned on.
  • You might also find additional settings like sensitivity or multi-touch gestures that you can adjust.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2024 17:17

@ejn63​ Thank you for the observation. Battery seems to be in good condition. Lasting from 4 to 6hrs (depending on what I’m doing). Also did visual inspection and it does not look swollen. 

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2024 17:25

@anyabaker​ Thanks. All touchpad settings are ok. 
Touchpad is enabled (on).

I also reviewed additional settings, like sensitivity as well as multitouch gestures as recommended.

i changed the sensitivity from medium to low however this does not seem to have solve the problem as it is still clicking on it’s on.

View More

No Events found!