Unsolved

SA

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 9th, 2024 21:54

XPS 15 - 9550 Not Charging Battery, & Shutting Down

Hi all,

Recently my XPS 15 - 9550 has started to not charge the battery, and shuts down due to no power.

I replaced the battery, but experienced the same behavior; i.e. the battery charge drained, then the laptop shut down. Interestingly, with the new battery installed, the charging light on the front lights up to indicate charging, and I powered the laptop back on once, but shut it off when I saw that the new battery still only had a 1% charge, and the machine didn't seem to be charging.

With the old battery, the charging light didn't light up, and the power button also didn't work until I unplugged, and replugged the old battery back in. After replugging the old battery in, the machine powered on, but then shut off.

Regarding the Power Adapter, the light on the Power Adapter plug is lit up white, so does that mean the Power Adapter is good?

I was thinking of replacing the Charging Jack, to see if that resolves this issue.

If it's the Motherboard that's the problem, I'm thinking I'll just retire the laptop, instead of spending that amount of money to replace the Motherboard.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 12th, 2024 23:15

I had this problem too and tried everything mentioned, including clean install, replacing the charger, updated the firmware, etc.

This laptop has the unusual feature of charging through its USB port instead of a separate dedicated power connection.

There is a power saving feature, set by default, that shuts down the USB ports when the screen is in standby. When this happens, the laptop can stop charging. When the screen turns on, the ports don't fully initialize. You have to shut it down and restart it for this to happen which usually will allow charging to resume. I suppose it's possible to run down the battery completely and not be able to charge the laptop at all.

Here's a link that explains this feature. Turning off this power saving USB setting fixed the problem.

www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-usb-battery-saver-in-windows-11.7745/

Feedback would be appreciated.

No Events found!