A

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 10th, 2024 07:57

m16 R1, awful Customer Support

Alienware m16 R1

Alienware m16 R1

Spent 6 hours with Customer Support and all they did was ask me to run SupportAssist, which wouldn't even launch. Told them about hardware failures and they ignored them. All I want is a refund or an exchange. A computer should not have a hardware issue within six hours of operation. <A refund from Dell is not possible. This m16 R1 shipped from Dell 4 months ago to Best Buy on December 22, 2023. DELL-Admin>

In the last hour, my computer hasn't launched properly (no ability to use the mouse, no taskbar at the bottom, forcing a hard reset), the task manager hasn't loaded, and a game I ran didn't actually launch but is now consuming 60% of my computer's memory. Chrome itself, with only 10 windows open, is consuming 65% of the memory now.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 11th, 2024 16:56

Hi @aclark84 the Dell Alienware m16 R1 (1/17/2023) laptop purchase from Best Buy does not include any paid for Dell Warranty or Dell Support. Best Buy Total members get 24/7 Geek Squad tech support, exclusive prices and protection plans including warranty. 

Users can buy Dell Warranty Extensions & Upgrades and/or visit Alienware m16 R1 Diagnostics and run Windows 11 tests. Click on Find your private System Service Tag, do not share any of your private information in this public forum. How to Arrange an Out of Warranty Repair on Your Dell Computer Here. Dell Laptop Repair Service by Parts-People Here

From your opening post information it seems that the operating system is corrupt. Windows Reliability Monitor is a Windows onboard application that assists in the identification of software issues. 

Advocate try to fix by undertaking the following: 

(1) go to System Properties - System Protection and ensure optional System Restore (C:) drive protection is ON. Create System Restore Point or go back to a previously created good system restore point, i.e. when PC was delivered and unboxed. This is the best option to choose before tweaking your Windows 11 operating system.

(2) run Revo Uninstaller Free to remove the Dell Support Assist application. Then use its Advance Scan to delete any left over files. Restart (not Shut Down) to save this change in the operating system. 

(3) Run sfc / scannow to replace corrupted system files with original default files. Restart (not Shut Down) to save all System File Checker Utility tool changes. Hopefully any file corruption is now fixed.

(4) Download SupportAssist. Explore SupportAssist for Home PCs Here

(5) If operating system file corruption not fixed, run Repair Windows System Image Tool. Use DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) to repair corrupt Windows component store. Restart (not Shut Down) to save this change in the operating system. 

Please share an update on progress, so that other Dell Community users derive benefit from your experience. Thank you. 

(edited)

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 15th, 2024 01:06

I would definitely reinstall Windows. It sounds like most, if not all, of these issues could be due to a software issue. I'm not sure if there are other hardware issues that you haven't mentioned here, other than the mouse. If you do decide to do this then I would NOT reinstall Support Assist. This program can cause more issues than it solves. 

Reinstalling Windows is not difficult and it is good to clear the system of any bloatware that came with your system, like Support Assist.

You can try doing a Windows reset first but a clean reinstall is usually the best option. 

You are only entitled to a refund within 30 days. An exchange can be possible but only if Dell fail to fix your issue after a few attempts. 

No Events found!