Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

May 1st, 2024 10:37

17 R3, do I need to replace thermal paste?

Recently purchased this laptop with 6820HK and GTX 980M.
Since I have unusual issue with games freezing and this laptop is overengineered (complicated to dissasembly) from your experience I need to know do I need to replace thermal paste.
Here are the temps after gaming with Rise of the Tomb Raider at 1080p mostly high game settings:
when launching game and gameplay 5-10 min
GPU temp=56-58-60 C
CPU temp 54-56 C

after 15 min of gameplay
CPU temp=60-62 C
GPU temp=70-72 C

after 30 min of gameplay

CPU temp=73-76 C
Gpu temp=74-76 C

after 40 min of gameplay
CPU temp=71-72 C
GPU temp=72-74 C

after an hour
CPU temp=spikes to 82 C but not constantly 82C
GPU=around 74-76 C

If I remember correctly after more then an hour of gameplay CPU and GPU temp go as high as around 83-86 C and laptop plastic around specific areas is high as hell.
I do have a laptop cooler underneath it with 5 fans.
Are these temps too high for this specific GPU and CPU, and would I need to take it to local shop so they replace the thermalpaste and possibly blow out dust.
is there any other way to blow out dust with maybe leaf blower or smth, without opening laptop and taking out board with CPU&GPU cooler?

5 Practitioner

• 

4.9K Posts

May 1st, 2024 12:13

Those are normal operating temperatures.  You do not need to replace thermal paste at this point.  CPU max temp is 100° C, GPU max temp is 98° C.

While a thermal paste job may reduce a few degree in average, it may not be sufficient enough spend money and to risk breaking something in the process.

The use of a small vacuum hose at the vents and keyboard may provide some benefits.

(edited)

No Events found!