Upgrade for OptiPlex GX150 - Processor - For Small & Medium Business - Forum - For Small & Medium Business - Dell Community

Upgrade for OptiPlex GX150 - Processor

For Small & Medium Business

For Small & Medium Business
Technology & Services for your Office

Upgrade for OptiPlex GX150 - Processor

• Hi, I have a Pentium III 1GHz processor in my GX150 and would like to upgrade it. Trouble is I have no idea what the maximum speed processor I can upgrade this machine to (ie will the motherboard be able to handle it), and also what type of processor is best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ian
  • The very fastest P3 produced is the 1.4 GHz unit - not enough of an upgrade to justify the cost.

• Thanks for that.
    So can it not be upgraded to a P4 at all?
  • No, it cannot
  • The GX150 can be upgraded to a 1.4ghz p3 that has 133mhz front side bus and with 512kb cache. This processor used to be a high end server chip a couple years back. There will be a pretty significant performance increase from a 1ghz p3 that only has 256kb cache to a 1.4ghz p3 that has 512kb cache (both using 133mhz fsb). You can find these processors on ebay but they are still quite pricy.

The GX150 case is virtually identical to the current GX270 and it's predecessor the GX260. You can often find these p4 motherboards for sale on ebay at very reasonable prices. Of course you would require new ram because the gx150 uses pc133 sdram whereas the gx260 and gx270 use ddr. Depending on your current case and other peripherals you also might have to upgrade the power supply for the p4 mobo.

good luck
  • The GX150 P3-1G is a decent PC. The maximum upgrade that is worth the money is using the Tualatin Celeron 1.1A and "upclock" it to FSB 133 instead of FSB100, using a Lin Lin socket converter. That gives you about 40% more CPU power than the P3 1GHz, with the same 256 kB cache. It will cost about $50. The P3 1.4G is expensive; about $200. That money is better spent on a new P4 machine.

• Thanks very much for all your input guys, much appreciated! I think perhaps it might be new PC time for me! :-)
    Once again, thanks!

Sionnach
  • It is known fact, that the very first Intel P4 CPUs (1.4 - 1.7 GHz with 256 KB L2 cache) work slower than a Tualatin P3 1.4 GHz CPU with 512 KB L2 cache  (http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/performance.htm). So, you can consider a Tualatin P3 1.4 GHz CPU as a P4 1.8 MHz CPU.

If you have a socket 370 GX150 (Small Desktop or Small Form-Factor systems), you can use  a 370GU adapter (http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/370gu.htm) to upgrade to a Tualatin P3 1.4 GHz CPU.

Message Edited by How2do on 03-31-2004 10:22 AM

• You won't need any adapter to upgrade to a 1.4 GHz "Tualatin" Pentium-III, if you have revision "B" of the i815 chipset.    Check it with CPU-Z (www.cpuid.org).  Any "A" version will require an adapter, but "B" versions don't.
  • Where can I find these adapters? I have que "A" version and I want a PIII 1.4 Tualatin.
  • The Lin Lin adapter is available at ComputerGeek.com here:
    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=S370TUA&cat=CPU
    PS: The P3 1.4G is very expensive. Here is a cheaper solution. If you can find a Celeron 1.2G that can be "upclocked" in a Lin Lin adapter to FSB133, you have a P3 1.6G!

Message Edited by DHsieh on 01-09-2005 12:13 PM

• Hello All,

Definitely a rookie here.  I usually go in head first without looking or asking!  Not this time.

Here is what I have:

GX150 Small Tower  

Dell original config says:

Motherboard - 38HRF Printer Wire Assy, Planar (Mobo), 815, 3Com, NIC/SND, OPLX

Processor - 49GNR, 80526, 600, 128, 66FSB, Fiber Channel, C0 - Celeron

Memory - 48WJW Dual in-line module, 256, 133m, 32x64, 4k, 168

I have been reading for 2 days now back to 2001 on this subject and everyone who has posted on this subject has given some great advice.  However, I want to make sure I don't go nutz and buy something I don't need.  I know I need an adapter to upgrade to Tualitin PIII 1.4 or Celeron 1.4  because of my version A mobo.  Will the mobo above be able to handle the increase in FSB, currently 66.  Will the FSB increase automatically when I put in the upgraded cpu?  Is my memory listed above PC133?  I've got 1 open slot and want to add another to get to 512.  512 is the max, right? 

Thanks to all who respond in advance as your wisdom and knowledge is greatly appreciated by everyone !!!!

• CPU-If you use a Lin Lin or Powerleap adapter, you can set the FSB on the adapter and it should be detected by the motherboard. I recommend the Lin Lin because it is much cheaper; I am using a Lin Lin in a GX150.
    RAM-Yes, 512mB is the max. It looks like you have PC133. So get another 256mB PC133. Use a memory selector to get the correct RAM. Dells tend to be picky and most generic RAM do not work. I am using RAM from crucial.com for a GX150.
  • DHsieh - You are the Man!  Thanks for the quick reply !

I do have two more questions for you as I consider you the Guru of the GX150 !

I will using this as a 2nd desktop for my little girl's and my games and the internet.  Yep, still a kid too!!!

Is it worth it to go after a PIII 1.4?  Is there any gain in performance over a Celeron?  I've seen some of your earlier recommendations but can not relocate.

Also, I saw in an earlier string you recommended a 9200 low profile vid card.  Is that still your prefference or has it changed since?  I do not recall how long ago that post was.

Thanks Again for All You Do!

• blitzen00 wrote:

DHsieh - You are the Man! Thanks for the quick reply !

I do have two more questions for you as I consider you the Guru of the GX150 !

I will using this as a 2nd desktop for my little girl's and my games and the internet. Yep, still a kid too!!!

Is it worth it to go after a PIII 1.4? Is there any gain in performance over a Celeron? I've seen some of your earlier recommendations but can not relocate.

Also, I saw in an earlier string you recommended a 9200 low profile vid card. Is that still your prefference or has it changed since? I do not recall how long ago that post was.

Thanks Again for All You Do!

Glad to help.

CPU: The P3 1.4G is not much better than a Celeron 1.4G; certainly not worth the price differential.

Video card: I thought you said you have a "small tower", which I took to be a mini-tower. You can use a full size AGP card in a mini-tower. [I have used Radeon 8500LE and 9000, but I suspect 9100 and 9200 would work.) If you need a low profile card, I had suggested the Powercolor Radeon 9250 to others.