RE: Why can we no longer configure systems? - For Small & Medium Business - Forum - For Small & Medium Business - Dell Community

RE: Why can we no longer configure systems?

For Small & Medium Business

For Small & Medium Business
Technology & Services for your Office

RE: Why can we no longer configure systems?

This question has been answered by Former_Big_Dell_User
It's now a year after the original very well-described problem by zig zag. I have probably bought over 100 Dell laptops for myself and my staff in my small businesses over the last 15 years, and I am getting desperate to replace my own and my company’s Dell laptops with the latest top-end configuration laptops. We had standardized on the Latitude E6500 series which are reliable and excellent laptops. We would now want E6540's in the highest configurations of practically every parameters and I would buy as many as I could get my hands on. But still Dell stubbornly refuses to make its signature feature, customisation, available to its high-end users. This is sheer arrogance and must eventually damage the company surely? But on a practical note, can anyone help me. Is there any behind-the-scenes way of getting a customizable Latitude? I really don't want to go looking for a new laptop vendor after all these years, but the standard configurations they give are truly useless. It might not be so bad if they just did one standard configuration at stupid money that had every upgrade known to man – I would willing buy that right now. But no, they don't do anything of the sort! Any ideas Dell support staff or anyone else?
All I want is a new customizable Dell Laptop!
Verified Answer
  • Robert ...

The E6540 basically has two configurations to choose from; despite the "Customize and Buy" link, their hardware configurations are not customizable/configurable.

Problems:

• The E6540 supports up to 16GB of RAM, but the cheap config comes with only with 4GB and the other with 8GB; if all you want is 8GB, the $40 upgrade costs you $700.  No configuration allows the full 16GB.
    • The E6540 supports i7 processors, but the cheap config comes only with the i5, giving the $80 upgrade from the i5 to i7 a $700 price tag. 
    • The cheap config includes a 320GB 7200RPM HDD; to get an $120 SSD, you have to pay $700 for the other config, since there is no configuration option to upgrade SSD on the cheap config.
    • $700 for a 9-cell battery.
    • $700 for 1920x1080 (cheap config comes with 1366x768 - are you serious?!?!); shouldn't 1920x1080 be standard anymore?
    • $700 to add 2GB discrete video.
    • There is NO option to add any of the E6540-supported features:  EnergyStar, Centrino Ultimate, Dell Wireless, WAN card, 130-watt adapter, "500GB FIPS Self-Encrypting Drive", "Up to 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive", Rapid Start, Smart Connect, Smart Response, Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate, and Ubuntu (this is not new though).
    • No Windows 8?!  All the drivers for 8/8.1 are located at support.dell.com, but there is no way to get one with a Windows 8.x license.

Yes, one could work with a Sales Rep (probably only an experienced one that knows what they are doing) to get the configuration needed, but let's be honest - not many people are going to do that and may simply forego the model (or brand) altogether in favor of one they can configure to their liking.

My take on the E6540:  If I were to purchase this one, $1800 is too much money to spend, so I would start at the $1000 model - I would want Windows 8.1, 8GB RAM (with only dual-core procs available, 8GB is all I'd need), an SSD, and full HD display.  I should be able to configure this for around $1200 - right on budget.

IF I were able to spend $1800 on a laptop, it would not be this one.  I would purchase a Precision laptop that has a quad-core/HT processor.

• Theflash1932

Thank you very much for taking the time to describe the Latitude E6540 configuration problem so well. 

I am amazed that a Dell person (Robert) could write such a mis-informed response (twice) on this thread.

Dell really seems to have lost the plot on providing good Latitude laptop configurations.   If they plan to scrap the Latitude range, I wish they would just withdraw it, not make configuration of a decent configuration impossible.

I have since been contacted by Dell management and they are trying to push me to configure Precision laptops instead, which work out over 50% more expensive per laptop than equivalent latitudes.

Its all very frustrating.  I have even tried looking at other laptop companies but none seem to provide the old (wonderful) configurable service that Dell used to on sensibly priced business laptops like the Latitude.

Dell management - anyone listening to your customers???

All Replies
  • Hi Former_Big_Dell_User,

I`ll see if I can find some one to help you.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012, #DellWorld2015, #DellEMCWorld 2016,# DellEMCWorld2017
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.

• Hi Former_Big_Dell_User,

Thanks for your post on the Community Forum. 

I've checked the Latitude 6540's and see that they have quite a lot of features, and I'm not sure what further customization would be needed.  http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e6540-laptop/pd

Your company should have a dedicated Sales Rep assigned to it, if you've purchased so many products from us.  Have you tried speaking to them to help with gettiing your new purchases configured with the customized features you want?  If you are unable to contact your Sales Rep, please let me know and I'll have them give you a call.  Thanks.

Regards,
    Robert

• Robert ...

The E6540 basically has two configurations to choose from; despite the "Customize and Buy" link, their hardware configurations are not customizable/configurable.

Problems:

• The E6540 supports up to 16GB of RAM, but the cheap config comes with only with 4GB and the other with 8GB; if all you want is 8GB, the $40 upgrade costs you $700.  No configuration allows the full 16GB.
    • The E6540 supports i7 processors, but the cheap config comes only with the i5, giving the $80 upgrade from the i5 to i7 a $700 price tag. 
    • The cheap config includes a 320GB 7200RPM HDD; to get an $120 SSD, you have to pay $700 for the other config, since there is no configuration option to upgrade SSD on the cheap config.
    • $700 for a 9-cell battery.
    • $700 for 1920x1080 (cheap config comes with 1366x768 - are you serious?!?!); shouldn't 1920x1080 be standard anymore?
    • $700 to add 2GB discrete video.
    • There is NO option to add any of the E6540-supported features:  EnergyStar, Centrino Ultimate, Dell Wireless, WAN card, 130-watt adapter, "500GB FIPS Self-Encrypting Drive", "Up to 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive", Rapid Start, Smart Connect, Smart Response, Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate, and Ubuntu (this is not new though).
    • No Windows 8?!  All the drivers for 8/8.1 are located at support.dell.com, but there is no way to get one with a Windows 8.x license.

Yes, one could work with a Sales Rep (probably only an experienced one that knows what they are doing) to get the configuration needed, but let's be honest - not many people are going to do that and may simply forego the model (or brand) altogether in favor of one they can configure to their liking.

My take on the E6540:  If I were to purchase this one, $1800 is too much money to spend, so I would start at the $1000 model - I would want Windows 8.1, 8GB RAM (with only dual-core procs available, 8GB is all I'd need), an SSD, and full HD display.  I should be able to configure this for around $1200 - right on budget.

IF I were able to spend $1800 on a laptop, it would not be this one.  I would purchase a Precision laptop that has a quad-core/HT processor.

• Theflash1932

Thank you very much for taking the time to describe the Latitude E6540 configuration problem so well. 

I am amazed that a Dell person (Robert) could write such a mis-informed response (twice) on this thread.

Dell really seems to have lost the plot on providing good Latitude laptop configurations.   If they plan to scrap the Latitude range, I wish they would just withdraw it, not make configuration of a decent configuration impossible.

I have since been contacted by Dell management and they are trying to push me to configure Precision laptops instead, which work out over 50% more expensive per laptop than equivalent latitudes.

Its all very frustrating.  I have even tried looking at other laptop companies but none seem to provide the old (wonderful) configurable service that Dell used to on sensibly priced business laptops like the Latitude.

Dell management - anyone listening to your customers???