What is better 7200rpmHDD or 5200rpmHDD+8GB SSHD? - For Small & Medium Business - Forum - For Small & Medium Business - Dell Community

What is better 7200rpmHDD or 5200rpmHDD+8GB SSHD?

For Small & Medium Business

For Small & Medium Business
Technology & Services for your Office

What is better 7200rpmHDD or 5200rpmHDD+8GB SSHD?

This question has been answered by sugarbear18

Hello
I am planning on buying a new Laptop which would be used mostly for Office programs like Excel and Word but I might use AutoCAD as well and some other programs that demand graphic capability.At first I wanted to buy a normal HDD Laptop with 7200RPM because the files i work in Excel are huge so I wanted my saving and loading files to be faster.The problem is there aren't any good and new Laptops with 7200RPM in my country so I was wondering if 5200RPMHDD+8GB SSHD(hybrid) would be competitive enough with the 7200RPMHDD.If it is not the case then i will be forced to order a Laptop from another country which usually takes around 3 months to come.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Garcia18,

It`s getting hard to find any manufacturer that is offering the 7200rpm. The 5200 with SSHD will be fine. I personally would get a bigger SSHD if available or later you can get an external HD. If possible go with an I5 or I7 core.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012, #DellWorld2015, #DellEMCWorld 2016,# DellEMCWorld2017
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.

All Replies
  • Hi Garcia18,

It`s getting hard to find any manufacturer that is offering the 7200rpm. The 5200 with SSHD will be fine. I personally would get a bigger SSHD if available or later you can get an external HD. If possible go with an I5 or I7 core.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012, #DellWorld2015, #DellEMCWorld 2016,# DellEMCWorld2017
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.

• Garcia18

Hello
    I am planning on buying a new Laptop which would be used mostly for Office programs like Excel and Word but I might use AutoCAD as well and some other programs that demand graphic capability.At first I wanted to buy a normal HDD Laptop with 7200RPM because the files i work in Excel are huge so I wanted my saving and loading files to be faster.The problem is there aren't any good and new Laptops with 7200RPM in my country so I was wondering if 5200RPMHDD+8GB SSHD(hybrid) would be competitive enough with the 7200RPMHDD.If it is not the case then i will be forced to order a Laptop from another country which usually takes around 3 months to come.

It's been about a year for me, but I purchased the Momentus XT from Seagate which was a 7200 rpm 500 GB drive with a 4 GB SSD cache.  I just checked online at Newegg.com and there are quite a few different models available and the prices seem reasonable.  There are 7200 and 5400 rpm models with 3.0 or 6.0 Gbps SATA interfaces in 2.5 inch drives up to 1TB.  Just look up "Seagate Hybrid Drives" and I see that some of the older 2nd generation models with SLC SSHD and 7200 RPM are still available or on the secondary market on Amazon and eBay.  It's a shame they moved to MLC and 5400 RPM on their new drives.  I see the 3.5" models for desktops are still 7200 RPM though.  It may have been a problem with the faster drives in laptops.  Mine has worked great until my laptop quit and I had to move it to another system.  I don't think the drive failed, but rather Windows hasn't adjusted to its new environment yet.  Still working on it.

Walt

Dell Venue 8 Pro with Windows 10 1511 Update, lots of other Dell Servers and PCs.