Which laptop should I go for? - For Small & Medium Business - Forum - For Small & Medium Business - Dell Community

Which laptop should I go for?

For Small & Medium Business

For Small & Medium Business
Technology & Services for your Office

Which laptop should I go for?

This question has been answered by sugarbear18

Hello,
I'm a software developer and mainly I work with following software:

1. .NET 2012 and 2010
2. SQL SERVER 2008
3. Other supporting softwares

I need to know which dell laptop should I go for. I heard that Latitute series are good, but need suggestion. Meanwhile I can across "New Inspiron 11 3000 Series" http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-11-3137/pd?oc=w540359in8&model_id=inspiron-11-3137 

which I really liked, but then it has only 2GB RAM. How about upgrading RAM? Will it support to my need?

Basically I need experts suggestion on this, which one to go for, that would fill my purpose.

Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Hi iExplore,

I`m sorry no one has given you assistance. walthy 46 is correct, that you would have to go through Dell India for your purchase.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012, #DellWorld2015, #DellEMCWorld 2016,# DellEMCWorld2017
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.

All Replies
  • iExplore

Hello,
    I'm a software developer and mainly I work with following software:

1. .NET 2012 and 2010
    2. SQL SERVER 2008
    3. Other supporting softwares

I need to know which dell laptop should I go for. I heard that Latitute series are good, but need suggestion. Meanwhile I can across "New Inspiron 11 3000 Series" http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-11-3137/pd?oc=w540359in8&model_id=inspiron-11-3137 

which I really liked, but then it has only 2GB RAM. How about upgrading RAM? Will it support to my need?

Basically I need experts suggestion on this, which one to go for, that would fill my purpose.

Thanks!

I am surprised no one has answered you.  I really don't know which one to buy, but I do know this, you'll probably get what you pay for.  Being a developer I would opt for a business class machine with a longer warranty and better support.  Get as much memory as possible and as much processor as you can afford.  You'll have to make the determination to go with a smaller screen for portability and add an external monitor for those long programming sessions at home or a larger system to work everywhere.  A two drive model with an SSD and an HDD in combination might be great or just an SSD and cloud storage for portability and backup potential.  I remember a seminar years ago with a developer who had new code on his portable computer that was stolen while we were at lunch.  I don't know how much development was set back, but it wasn't good.  Of course that was even before the internet and now the cloud services that would make recovery (and protection of IP) much more reasonable.  Don't forget a touch screen.  You may not need it today, but you will soon.

I would always want a large external monitor (old eyes) but with a portable machine.  These days you can get a quad core i7 and lots of memory in any size tablet and have an external drive and monitor to use when docked and the cloud for traveling.  How I would love to be a developer these days with that freedom to move around.  I used to have a poster from DEC showing one of their VT terminal displays sitting on a TV tray and a keyboard in the lap of a guy looking out over a Caribbean-style beach and that was before DEC even made any personal computers.  I loved that poster and wish I still had it.  Don't know where I lost it.  That was always my dream working environment.

Good luck, 

Walt

Dell Venue 8 Pro with Windows 10 1511 Update, lots of other Dell Servers and PCs.

• I just went to your link and see your problem.  It looks like in India you don't have the options we have in the states.  The computer sounds fine, but I think that since you can't upgrade the model it would not be a good development machine.  The Celeron processor would not be a good choice and 2GB of memory is not good either for a developer.  There have got to be better choices for you.  I also see that you don't have purchasing options that we have in the states.  I sure wish you well in your search.  There have got to be other options available for you.  Perhaps a refurbished machine with more horsepower available from Amazon or eBay or their equivalents in your country.  Perhaps you have Dell resellers in India that can get you other models or upgraded models.

Good luck!

Walt

Dell Venue 8 Pro with Windows 10 1511 Update, lots of other Dell Servers and PCs.

• Hi iExplore,

I`m sorry no one has given you assistance. walthy 46 is correct, that you would have to go through Dell India for your purchase.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012, #DellWorld2015, #DellEMCWorld 2016,# DellEMCWorld2017
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.