Scratch & dent or refurb? - For Small & Medium Business - Forum - For Small & Medium Business - Dell Community

Scratch & dent or refurb?

For Small & Medium Business

For Small & Medium Business
Technology & Services for your Office

Scratch & dent or refurb?

This question has been answered by sugarbear18

I'm looking at the Latitude 5420 line on Dell Outlet Business. There are both refurb and scratch & dent available. All things being equal, which is the better bet, the s&d because it has not had problems, or the refurb where the problems have supposedly been fixed?

Jim Coates -- 14th year on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

Verified Answer
  • Hi Jimco,

Some of the s & d are very minor blemishes. Some of the refurb are pc`s that were ordered by mistake when purchaser changed his/her mind. One option is no better than the other.  I would search out the pc that had the ram, HD, and graphics card that you want. When you get it, if something is wrong you can send it back. Consumer division has 21 days to send it back for replacement or refund. I`m not sure if that is the same for business.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012, #DellWorld2015, #DellEMCWorld 2016,# DellEMCWorld2017
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.

• Jimco,

It`s from some experience I`ve had helping people order from there. We have had people here on the forums ask this same question and Some of the mods had experience with it to.

I do know that the pc`s change constantly on the site. If you see what you want, you need to order it immediately because it can be gone in 5 minutes.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

All Replies
  • Hi Jimco,

Some of the s & d are very minor blemishes. Some of the refurb are pc`s that were ordered by mistake when purchaser changed his/her mind. One option is no better than the other.  I would search out the pc that had the ram, HD, and graphics card that you want. When you get it, if something is wrong you can send it back. Consumer division has 21 days to send it back for replacement or refund. I`m not sure if that is the same for business.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

• Teddi, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

sugarbear18
    One option is no better than the other.

Is this a conclusion you have drawn from some experience with the 2 types, or just a surmise?

• Jimco,

It`s from some experience I`ve had helping people order from there. We have had people here on the forums ask this same question and Some of the mods had experience with it to.

I do know that the pc`s change constantly on the site. If you see what you want, you need to order it immediately because it can be gone in 5 minutes.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

• Thanks again, Teddi.

PS There are 20+ of the E5420's on the Outlet right now -- many off them with the specs I am considering.

• UPDATE

I ended up buying a scratch 'n dent E5420. There are numerous medium sized scratches on the case, however so far it has been functionally perfect which is all I care about. Knock on wood.

• jimco

UPDATE

I ended up buying a scratch 'n dent E5420. There are numerous medium sized scratches on the case, however so far it has been functionally perfect which is all I care about. Knock on wood.

Functionality is the important part. I always have scratches on phones and laptops that I own., so it is a way of life for me. I`m glad you got what you needed at a good price.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005