HARDWARE ANTI-THEFT: ADVICE **BEFORE** IT GETS STOLEN? - For Small & Medium Business - Forum - For Small & Medium Business - Dell Community

HARDWARE ANTI-THEFT: ADVICE **BEFORE** IT GETS STOLEN?

For Small & Medium Business

For Small & Medium Business
Technology & Services for your Office

HARDWARE ANTI-THEFT: ADVICE **BEFORE** IT GETS STOLEN?

This question has been answered by DELL-Robert P

I work for a small business run by a responsible, busy, distracted Type A who's all over the place. Nicest guy but not the best organizer. Attn Deficit maybe?

His business involves communicating with lots of people thru the day, and accessing information available on various web sites easily accessible to him.

PROBLEM: (I think that) He thinks that just because he bought a state of the art I Phone that he can use that and ONLY that while on the road running his biz; and I seriously disagree. Working with him I already thank heavens I purchased a 2nd monitor for the PC I used in my home office; there's too much for 1 monitor.

He WASTES loads of time calling staff while on the road, asking us for info READILY AVAILABLE on his own online calendar and a couple of shared sites. We take time to put all this info into the calendar in great detail, then (instead of LOOKING AT IT) he calls us to ask, "Where am I going again?"

The guy is no dummy. But all the apps in the world won't make an I-Phone as multi-taskable as what he needs. Laptop, or MAYBE a tablet? I dunno.

I want him to get a laptop (he has one at home but ready for upgrade/replacement). I want him to get a nice new DELL.
But FIRST AND FOREMOST, I want to know if anybody anywhere has invented a device to prevent theft of a laptop when a scatterbrained person leaves their vehicle unlocked, etc.

I keep thinking, WHY haven't manufacturers added a simple LOOP or HOLE that could somehow be used with a lockable CHAIN to literally LOCK the PC itself under a car seat, or somewhere not obvious. duh?

He NEEDS to use a laptop and aside from stringing it around his neck, I beg any and all of you for a solution to this issue BEFORE we invest in the product.

WHAT do people DO? Thank you  

Verified Answer
  • Hi Joybo,

Lojack for laptops would work for you. You can order it installed with a new laptop or buy it here.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=lojack+for+laptops&cat=all&ref=ac

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012, #DellWorld2015, #DellEMCWorld 2016,# DellEMCWorld2017
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.

• Hi Joybo,

There are several locking devices sold by Dell and other manufacturers.  Here's what I found when I did a search:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&category_id=5496&~ck=bt

These locking devices secure the laptop to whatever you wrap the cable around or attach the cable to.  On the laptop itself, there is a locking slot that the device goes into, making it safe.

Here's a short video from Kensington showing how it's done for several of their security products:

http://youtu.be/P5ygzRRHRmM

Also, you could have the laptop mounted in the car which might be helpful and secure as well, many Police departments have been using this method for years.

Regards,
    Robert

All Replies
  • Hi Joybo,

Lojack for laptops would work for you. You can order it installed with a new laptop or buy it here.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=lojack+for+laptops&cat=all&ref=ac

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

• SERIOUSLY! A  PC user myself, never had a laptop (yea I'm a dinosaur).

Will explore the LOJACK BEFORE even laptop shopping: this MUST be something even the BOSS can handle.

Thank you!

JSJ

• I t hank you again for that suggestion; I KNEW there was tracking software out there; it's not "technology" that will solve this potential problem.
    It's something apparently nobody's INVENTED yet to PREVENT theft, not TRACK IT DOWN after the fact.

I know it sounds juvenile and over-simplified, but why the HECK don't the geniuses of the world figure out a preventative to theft?

Even those with pricey bicycles can CHAIN them for security in public. Why not something smaller scale appropriate for our valuable laptops?

If you work for Dell, get thee up to Research and Development and tell 'em Joy sent you. Cuz you'd sell a gazillion of them if such existed.

Thank you again for your time. I'm off to learn if Boss's truck has one of those secret hiding places in the floor....that's all I can think of for now!

Best to you

JSJ

Tucker, GA

PS: IF we solve this problem we'll be back to DELL for our computing needs.

• Hi Joybo,

I looked at these Latitude laptops for you. The E6430 ATG and the E6420 XFR have handles and you can get Windows 7 on these instead of the new Windows 8.  Maybe a carry handle might help your boss. Scroll down on this page under specialty and you can watch the video on them.

I can understand your frustration, I have a 23 year old that leaves them on top of cars and drives off, spills drinks in the keyboards and looses the chargers all the time.She`s left the laptop several times at friends and family members homes. The last time she left it at a restaurant 100 miles from home. The restaurant employee was honest enough to call and tell me. The 23 year old had placed an address sticker with phone number on the top of the case.  I`m lucky if she gets a year out of a laptop!

Good luck!

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-laptops.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

• Hi Joybo,

There are several locking devices sold by Dell and other manufacturers.  Here's what I found when I did a search:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&category_id=5496&~ck=bt

These locking devices secure the laptop to whatever you wrap the cable around or attach the cable to.  On the laptop itself, there is a locking slot that the device goes into, making it safe.

Here's a short video from Kensington showing how it's done for several of their security products:

http://youtu.be/P5ygzRRHRmM

Also, you could have the laptop mounted in the car which might be helpful and secure as well, many Police departments have been using this method for years.

Regards,
    Robert

• TO ROBERT AND OTHERS WHO HAVE RESPONDED WITH MOST HELPFUL INFO AND LINKS TO APPROPRIATE PRODUCTS

(ROBERT SENT MSG 5/26/13)  tHANKS YA'LL

Robert,
    I've had numerous replies from you helpful DELL people and I thank you.
    I have saved all pertinent info (which is amazing ) to approach BOSS
    at appropriate time; he is currently making major capital purchases and
    the laptop is just a step or two down the "priority" list. Budget, ya know!

Thanks for info.  I'm one of the few people around who don't NEED
    to be "SOLD" on Dell; I'll be back when time to buy!

Cheers,
    Joy J.
    Tucker, GA

• hI
    I've had numerous replies from helpful people and I thank you.
    I have saved all pertinent info to approach BOSS
    at appropriate time; he is currently making major capital purchases and
    the laptop is just a step or two down the "priority" list. Budget, ya know!
    (The discovery was a rugged, "military" style laptop super rugged with HANDLE and insulation against heat!

Chain thru handle can be padlocked to wherever, hopefully eliminating need for LOJACK. cool huh

Thanks for info. 
    Cheers,
    Joy J.
    Tucker, GA