Optiplex GX-270 Desktop Tower W/ BIOS A07 (Processors Compatible???)

For Small & Medium Business

For Small & Medium Business
Technology & Services for your Office

Optiplex GX-270 Desktop Tower W/ BIOS A07 (Processors Compatible???)

This question is not answered

Hi Friends, Geeked

My Daughter is entering college and I need to upgrade my Optiplex GX-270 Desktop Tower as much as possible for her!

I have installed the maximum of ddr-400 ram, a modern HD3850 8x agp video card, a 600 watt psu, a 320  gig WD hard drive, "But I Am Stuck On What Would Be The Fastest/Best CPU That Is Compatible"????

Does anyone know of any CPU compatibility list for this DG284 Motherboard, and especially what further CPU's are added with the A07 Bios!

I sucessfully flashed the motherboard with the A07 Bios, but the bios description from dell simply says:

(Confused)"Added Support For Newer Processors"(Confused)  ........ :-((THANKS DELLWilted Flower))

If I could find out "what processor support was added with the A07 Bios", maybe I could figure out what the other compatible processors were?

Does anyone have any CPU upgrade data at all, on this model?

Anyone, Please? Big Smile

With everything else that I added to this GX-270, I have confirmed compatibility.... Except the processor!

""Please reply from successful personal GX-270 Desktop experience, or links to these correct motherboard/bios CPU compatibility lists"".... No Guesses please !!

Yes, I do understand all about the Northwood and Presscot cores and the EE versions, so yes I could take a guess and hopefully not waste my upgrage money, but I hate to do that....Indifferent

All Replies
  • wadeduck58 

No Dual core anything, Single core, Socket 478 P4 only.

More info, HERE

Good places to look for the obsolete Socket 478 processors, are either HERE, or browse eBay.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Wow... Weeks of worthless Google searching and I should have come here first! Yes

Thank You for the great compatibility Resourceses Bev!

That clears me for most of the Northwood processors, yet I still wonder if the internet GX-270/3.4 gig p4 horror stories had to do with the Dell bios not reading the prescott design?

By chance, ever hear of any prescotts working in this DG284 Motherboard?

Be interesting to see if the Northwood EE Processors would work too, but they are a tad too high priced for that experiment...

Either way I do humbly and graciously bow to your kind assistance!

God Bless,

wade

PS (I hope I don't bid against you on eBay Friend... A thousand pardons if you get last minute sniped by wadeduck58Embarrassed )

• Wade.

Happy to have helped.

In case you need them, the Optiplex GX270 specifications are HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks again Friend for the link to the dell GX270 specs!

As you can see the Processor Selection Section is vague at best... That is what is so frustrating!Angry

It's a shame because the rest of the spec sheet is very thorough! (Unfortunately, to leave customers guessing what processors are compatible is disgraceful!)

The bios engineers could easily have listed what processors were added with each new revision (Other Companies Do),

but it is either laziness on their part or Dell again trying to keep ultimate control on our upgrading...

YesThat is why I do appreciate all the freely giving forum users here... I would be lost and gambling my money away on eBay processors, without you!Yes

If Anyone at all,

has any evidence of a socket 478 3.2Gig or higher "Prescott Core P4" working with this DG284 Motherboard or the GX270 Desktop,

Please join us in this Research Expedition!

Once again, I thank you Bev for your help... Big Smile

• I forgot to mention... (Ahem)Wink

Dear Friends, Buddies, Palls, Esteemed Forum Compatriots,

Leand me your ears....

If anyone wants to dust of an old and forgoten socket 478 Northwod Extreme Edition, now cluttering up your junk draw,

and make some cash, my daughter sure could put it to good use...Big Smile

(In addition)...  All Processor Donations to the "Save This Father From His Childrens College Debt" fund would be gladly accepted too!

Humbly,

wade

()

P.S. (I could alternatively pay you in a Virtual Treasure-Trove of Vintage P1 & K6 parts, as well as a mountain of sdram if you would like???)

<ADMIN NOTE: Email Id Removed Per Privacy Policy>

• Wade,

You're flogging a bit of a dead horse, I'm afraid... These GX270s are replete in internet folklore as problematic - from the bad capacitor syndrome (Nichicon HN), to bad cooling design (for home use), & questionable caps in otherwise sound Hipro (OEM) PSUs for the MT. The only thing they don't seem to suffer from is ICH5 (southbridge) USB latchup - maybe due to adequate grounding. Adding a high power draw P4 CPU (Gallatin/Prescott) is not ideal for these 2 phase VRM motherboards. They do, however employ 4 bridged mosfets per phase, backed by the finned alu heatsink.

That said, I have successfully installed and run a Prescott 3.2GHz & 3.0GHz in a pair of boards (Rev A02 and Rev A00 respectively) with A07 BIOS,  Both had failed caps that I replaced. Pay attention to CPU cooling. You must use either the large alu twin copper heatpipe heatsink or (as I do) the all copper 4 pipe compact heatsink from the SFF. You can then use the short trumpet cetrifugal fan (or cut a long one to suit) or use a high speed inverted 80mm fan which bolts right on. I have used both methods with success. If you install an 80mm to blow down on the HS, the P4 will throttle as the thin fins are designed to pull air through the bottom & past the heatpipes. Hence, high static pressure fan ie centrifugal. The ideal solution is the 6 heat pipe Tuniq Tower-esque HS, but you will require the squarer shroud if you want to keep it passive. You will also want the 90x90x38mm 2.0A exhaust fan. The 25mm fan is too anemic. A further useful mod is to cut the drive side panel below the DELL logo & install a 120mm low RPM fan. It works wonders for cooling.

You have gone overboard with your PSU & AGP card. A quality 350-400W unit is enough for what you can fit into the case. The P4s don't have enough HP for a modern GPU or games. Your best bet would've been a lower power use board. I like Radeon 9600XTs as they are DX9/WDDM 1.0, run cool & don't require a power cable. A Radeon X700 is also useful but more rare. Anything from a GFFX/6200/6600/7600 or GF6800 vanilla work fine. These can be had for next to nix. Various Radeon X1600/2400/2600/3k/4k/5k can be useful if decoding H264, I guess.

I used these as test boxes for Win7 last year & have been surprised how well they run. Hope this helps.

• I'm currently running a P4 3.2Ghz Prescott, so I know it's compatible.... It may not be the "fastest" but I know for a fact it will work in your system.

You have pretty much upgraded to the best components the machine can handle, from what you said you put in it.  Though the 600 watt PSU is Overkill, could have saved money there.

I previously had a P4 2.8Ghz Prescott... I can only tell a slight difference between it and the 3.2Ghz.  The machine will be able to do everything and more that your daughter will need it for.  I hope she's a gamer because the video card, HD 3850agp, ROCKS!!!!  I use it to play Guild Wars at full settings with no issues.  I'm also able to convert, edit, split and merge audio and video files reasonably quickly...so the processing power is there.

Question:  Is the 320GB WD HD an IDE or SATA drive?  The GX270 supports SATA, so hopefully your using it to get faster read/write times from the HD.

As far as the capacitor issue that was mentioned... I was the computer technician for a school district and we had tons of GX270's (that's where I got mine), the capacitor issue from personal experience is only an issue with the SFF (small form factor) motherboards.  Dell had a bad contractor build the motherboards for the SFF's and the caps DO pop.  This shoud not be an issue for you since you obviously have the mini-tower.

•  

wichitadisciple

... the capacitor issue from personal experience is only an issue with the SFF (small form factor) motherboards.  Dell had a bad contractor build the motherboards for the SFF's and the caps DO pop.  This shoud not be an issue for you since you obviously have the mini-tower.

Unfortunately, that's incorrect. A cursory Google search will dispel that misconception. Badcaps.net would make for a good start. Having repaired ~4 mini-towers personally, I can attest to this - with pics if required... The fault was not with the "contractor". Foxconn/Flextronics delivered the boards according to Dell's spec with caps from reputable Japanese suppliers (Nichicon, Rubycon, Panasonic), but due to manufacturing error at Nichicon (overfilling of electolyte), the expansion of gasses caused them to vent. Those with Rubycon & Panasonic caps had rare failures unless related to cascade failure from upstream bad Nichicons or failing PSU.

• Sorry, but I don't need a google search to confirm what I have personally experienced.

So you had this issue with 4 mini towers (out of how many?)... and I had this issue with over 50 SFF motherboards.  It's pretty safe to say that the issues you came across were "isolated" cases... electronics fail all the time.  Though in my experience with the SFF, the caps issue was not "isolated" it was very common.  We had over 150 mini towers and I never came across this issue.  But with the 150+ SFF GX270's I had to replace 1/3 of the motherboards due to capacitor issues.

FYI, the same issue exists for the GX280 SFF motherboards.

To the OP... don't worry about the caps on the motherboard you currently have, if they haven't failed by now they won't.

• recidivist

You're flogging a bit of a dead horse, I'm afraid...

OR

I used these as test boxes for Win7 last year & have been surprised how well they run. Hope this helps.

Soooo, which is it????

The GX270's are nowhere close to being a "dead horse"....  LOL, too funny.  The 800mhz FSB takes care of that.  They may be outdated but are still good enough to run most things smoothly on a 32-bit platform.  All you need to do is upgrade the processor to whatever you think would be the best for your daughter and feel confident that the computer your giving her will perform regardless of what she demands from it, because it will

• 1) Why so much horsepower to run "Word" and stuff?  Just put some extra RAM in it and leave the 2.8 ghz processor and onboard video card.  That's more than enough to surf the web, run word processing and play weasel stompers. Its not worth fulling around and breaking it because you don't know what you're doing.  Talk about wasting $$--- you could have used it for more meds---you're obviously taking quite a bit of them.

2) How long does it take you to decide which smiley face to use?  They're unbelievably corny.