Vostro 1500 CPU Upgrade - For Small & Medium Business - Forum - For Small & Medium Business - Dell Community

Vostro 1500 CPU Upgrade

For Small & Medium Business

For Small & Medium Business
Technology & Services for your Office

Vostro 1500 CPU Upgrade

• I'm interested in upgrading the processor for my Vostro 1500 laptop but I was wondering about the upgrades available to me.  Currently I have a T7250 and was thinking of upgrading to a T9300 which I believe is compatible with my laptop.  Recently I noticed a few new processors, namely T9400 and P9500.  Both these processors have a FSB of 1066 compared with the 7250s and 9300s 800.  Are these newer processors compatible?  Would I need to flash the BIOS to support these CPUs or am I out of luck?

• The T9300 will work.  The new CPUs on the 1066 MHz bus aren't supported - the system doesn't have the proper chipset for that.

• hi there i have recently aquired  a dell vostro 1500 tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>  it has a 1.8 celeron 540 cpu and just wondered could i fit something bigger into it i know how to fit cpu's but dont know all the relevant technical information on wich one to buy would appriciate it if someone could point me in the right direction for wich cpu to buy any dual core would be better than what i got 

bios A06

RAM 4GB 

OS 7X64

• Well, we know from 6 years ago that the T7250 and T9300 will work - those would represent quite an upgrade from your Celeron.  If you don't like those, then feel free to experiment with any that are supported on the 1500's chipset, although just because they are supported by the chipset doesn't mean they will work in Dell's implementation on this particular machine:

http://ark.intel.com/products/29821/Intel-82GM965-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller#@compatibility