XPS 15 / Inspiron 15 7000 + Non-Touch Screens and Windows 7

For Home

For Home
Computers & Related Items for Personal and Entertainment

XPS 15 / Inspiron 15 7000 + Non-Touch Screens and Windows 7

This question is answered

Two questions related to the products in the subject line!

1) What kind support/problems would one face in doign a clean install of Windows 7 Home Edition on the new XPS 15 or Insprion 15 7000 series?

2) Both the XPS 15 and Inspiron 15 7000 series spec sheets list a lower weight/thickness when configuring them with a non-touchscreen display; however, there doesnt seem to be any way to configure these laptops without touch screens.  Is it possible to configure either laptop without a touchscreen, and if so how do you do it?  If not kindly fix your spec sheets, Dell! :) 

Verified Answer
  • Thanks for bringing up the concerns. Let me see if I can answer some things for you:

1) When doing a clean install of windows 7 most things should be pretty easy. I have done clean installs on a few Dell systems like this, and the only real hassle is driver and program updates. If you are doing a "clean" install, I would assume you are talking about one of two methods. Either using the Dell partition or disc to install back to Dell factory settings, at which point you just go ahead and do it, and then reinstall your programs and go about your day. If you are using a non Dell Install, then you would simply need to install, and use the Dell Drivers and Downloads page (located in my sig) to make sure you update all drivers. There can be some instances of drivers needed to be manually installed, in which case using a usb drive is helpful (you put the driver install file on the drive using one computer, and move it to the other computer and install it). Most other things are downloadable through one way or another, but essentially you will just spend more time downloaded programs and drivers.

With doing a clean install I would strongly suggest you backup all files first, write down any serial numbers (including your windows serial number for reinstall later if needed), and make a list of all programs you want to reinstall.

2) Not all configurations are available in all locations. So, specs are often given for all possible configurations, even if that configuration is not available in your location. If you are not seeing the non-touchscreen customization options, and that is a make it or break it option for you, you may choose to find other outlets for purchase, such as the Dell Outlet store, Amazon, Ebay, etc. However, I encourage you to buy directly from Dell for the best support and warranty options. 

I hope that answers your concerns, please let me know if you have any further questions or follow up concerns. 

Husband/Father/Writer/Tech Guru/Broad Spectrum Gamer

"There is no problem that can't be fixed with the right tools and resources and proper motivation" -CCC

Alienware Respawn  Data Safe Local Backup  Alienware Command Center  Alien Autopsy  Dell Software Download Center

All Replies
  • Thanks for bringing up the concerns. Let me see if I can answer some things for you:

1) When doing a clean install of windows 7 most things should be pretty easy. I have done clean installs on a few Dell systems like this, and the only real hassle is driver and program updates. If you are doing a "clean" install, I would assume you are talking about one of two methods. Either using the Dell partition or disc to install back to Dell factory settings, at which point you just go ahead and do it, and then reinstall your programs and go about your day. If you are using a non Dell Install, then you would simply need to install, and use the Dell Drivers and Downloads page (located in my sig) to make sure you update all drivers. There can be some instances of drivers needed to be manually installed, in which case using a usb drive is helpful (you put the driver install file on the drive using one computer, and move it to the other computer and install it). Most other things are downloadable through one way or another, but essentially you will just spend more time downloaded programs and drivers.

With doing a clean install I would strongly suggest you backup all files first, write down any serial numbers (including your windows serial number for reinstall later if needed), and make a list of all programs you want to reinstall.

2) Not all configurations are available in all locations. So, specs are often given for all possible configurations, even if that configuration is not available in your location. If you are not seeing the non-touchscreen customization options, and that is a make it or break it option for you, you may choose to find other outlets for purchase, such as the Dell Outlet store, Amazon, Ebay, etc. However, I encourage you to buy directly from Dell for the best support and warranty options. 

I hope that answers your concerns, please let me know if you have any further questions or follow up concerns. 

Husband/Father/Writer/Tech Guru/Broad Spectrum Gamer

"There is no problem that can't be fixed with the right tools and resources and proper motivation" -CCC

Alienware Respawn  Data Safe Local Backup  Alienware Command Center  Alien Autopsy  Dell Software Download Center