XPS 15 (L502X) and 3G/HSDPA

For Home

For Home
Computers & Related Items for Personal and Entertainment

XPS 15 (L502X) and 3G/HSDPA

• Hi,

I have the XPS 15 (L502X) with Centrino Advanced-N 6230 wireless card.

Next to the battery I can see a slot for the 3G SIM but it doesn't work and can't see a minicard in device manager.

Is there an option for a 3G/HSDPA adapter for this model?

Thanks,

MPK

• MPK,

If you didn't order your system with the 3g sim, then the slot may be there but no hardware for it to work. It would be an empty slot.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Rick, 

This wasn't an option when i placed the order with Dell online but i wanted to know if there is an option for one. I also couldn't find one in the upgrade/accessory area.

Thanks,

MPK

• MPK,

You can look HERE but I'm almost certain that the slot is really empty. You can try chat or call the number at the top of the page.

I have some moderator privileges. Let me move your post to the What to buy for home area and when the Dell people come in this morning, then can hopefully give you a better answer.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• PudgyOne

MPK,

You can look HERE but I'm almost certain that the slot is really empty. You can try chat or call the number at the top of the page.

I have some moderator privileges. Let me move your post to the What to buy for home area and when the Dell people come in this morning, then can hopefully give you a better answer.

Rick

Hello MPK1980,

Thanks for your post in the Forum.

In order to use 3G/HSPA in the XPS 15 (L502x) you would need to configure the system with a Mobile Broadband mini-card at the time of purchase.  Otherwise, the hardware (mini-card) would not be there to make the connection. You also can not use any SIM card to establish a 3G connection. If a SIM card was required with the Moile Broadband mini-card, it would have shipped with the system based on the Mobile Broadband carrier you selected at the time of purchase.

A good way to tell if your system was sold with a WWAN card is to recall if you went through the activation process. Systems with WWAN cards ship with a removable sticker on the left-hand palm rest that include contact information and instructions for activating the WWAN service. This is a process that you would have needed to complete if you purchased Moile Broadband to activate 3G connectivity.

• If you would like, I can check internally to see if your system was sold with a WWAN card. You can contact me privately by clicking my username, then on the next page, click the envelope icon that says "send message" and send me your Service Tag # (please do not post your tag in this Forum).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

DELL-Gina V

• MPK,

You can go to Dell Warranty Status enter your service tag number and click on original configuration. It will tell you what was installed from the factory.

Thanks, Gina V for helping this member. I moved the thread for better help.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• there is a sim card slot under my laptop.can i use it for internet connection.what driver i ve to install.iam usin dell xps l502x