XPS 8300 PSU upgrade?

For Home

For Home
Computers & Related Items for Personal and Entertainment

XPS 8300 PSU upgrade?

This question is answered

I'm buying an 8300 with the following combination:

Intel core i7-2600 processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache) 
8GB (4X2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory 
3TB (1.5TBx2) SATA RAID 0 (Data Striping) 
1.25GB GDDR5 NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 560 Ti  

I researched the 560 ti, and apparently it needs a higher PSU, which I gather is the power supply? I'm not very computer literate in this area - how do I found out the PSU of the above computer?  On another forum, they advised me that I should get at least 700w for the 560ti. They also said it would be tricky to find a fitting PSU. Basically, I would very much appreciate some help in choosing an upgraded PSU for my dell, based on what other Dell users suggest they've found worked well.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!  

Verified Answer
  • I will repeat what I said.  If an option, such as a specific video card is available for purchase when ordering, the system will work with whatever power supply is installed.   There are reports, on the Desktop Hardware Section, of new systems with video cards that are listed in the Retail versions of the cards that require a certain wattage power supply, however the version supplied in the new Dell is a lower power requirement model and thus works with the Dell supplied power supply.  

It should be noted that in most cases Dell tends to underrate their power supplies thus a 470 watt power supply is more like a Retail 550 watt or even more.  

I have a Dell Dimension E510 desktop.  It has the stock 310 watt power supply.  I have upraded the CPU, maxed out the memory, added a second optical drive, added a second hard drive and upgraded the Video card to a Galaxy GTS450OC video card and all is working without problems.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

All Replies
  • If it is an ordering option, Dell will install the appropriate wattage power supply.  There are also, in some cases, special OEM versions of video cards that do not require very high powered power supplies.  

I am not a Dell Employee

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

• I asked this exact same question minutes ago with a Dell Chat Supervisor.  He replied Dell does not offer upgrades to power supplies, and that if I wanted an upgrade, I would have to buy one from a local PC store and install it myself.

Your suggestion that a 700w power supply is needed, is well, about as accurate as it gets.

Dell, hello, McFly, Dell, are you listening ?

this is not rocket science.  

• I will repeat what I said.  If an option, such as a specific video card is available for purchase when ordering, the system will work with whatever power supply is installed.   There are reports, on the Desktop Hardware Section, of new systems with video cards that are listed in the Retail versions of the cards that require a certain wattage power supply, however the version supplied in the new Dell is a lower power requirement model and thus works with the Dell supplied power supply.  

It should be noted that in most cases Dell tends to underrate their power supplies thus a 470 watt power supply is more like a Retail 550 watt or even more.  

I have a Dell Dimension E510 desktop.  It has the stock 310 watt power supply.  I have upraded the CPU, maxed out the memory, added a second optical drive, added a second hard drive and upgraded the Video card to a Galaxy GTS450OC video card and all is working without problems.

I am not a Dell Employee

• Fireberd, you know way more about this than I do.  

I just don't understand why the self proclaimed Dell Chat Experts can't explain this during the front end of the sales process.  The Chat Expert (with "_supervisor" following his chat name) suggested I purchase a different brand PC such as HP or Compaq instead of attempting a simple explanation like yours.

Maybe his is correct.  Maybe he is an expert.  Could be simple.   I have to purchase a new PC this morning, guess it won't be from Dell this time.

Fireberd, if management at Dell knew how effective you were at explaining issues as you have done. you would be promoted to Train the Trainer in the Sales Department.

Michael Dell has no clue these days.

nfmcars

• I'm not a Dell employee, just a user.  However, my background is computer hardware and with mainframe computers before there were PC's. I also worked at NASA on the Apollo program in both telemetry hardware and software.  I'm retired but I was a Regional LAN/WAN Network and Hardware Help Desk manager for 23 years (until I retired).  I have my own part-time PC support business.

The Dell people you talked to, unfortunately are mainly "salespersons" and not technicians.

I am not a Dell Employee

• Pretty impressive background - thanks for the answer!

• Interesting how I posted a response characterizing the poor customer service from Dell.   Then, someone from outer space, or the Dell Moderator, whichever you choose to believe, simply removed it.

Hmmmmm..

Michael Dell has no clue.