Dell data safe on line sucks

For Home

For Home
Computers & Related Items for Personal and Entertainment

Dell data safe on line sucks

This question is not answered

Well sounds like I am not the only one who has issues with Tech Support or lack of it..  I would suggest to if you have Dell data safe on line to find another company to back up your files.  To make a very long story short my computer crashed  and had to re do operation system (through Dell tech support).   At that time i tried to restore lost computer files and after making 2 calls to Tech support telling  that the back up was not uploading properly and was told by tech support that all was good and the files would be restored in 48 hours.  All of my files on Dell were lost..  They keep telling me that they will have them restored but this has been going on for 3 weeks.  I can not get any help from anyone.  Do not know what else to do.  This same thing happened about 3 years ago with my old computer and the same this happened as far as files were not restored properly.  At that time tech support did fix the problem and restored everything but did not lose the files. 

I am gioing write a letter to To Corporate office but that will take weeks to get a reply.  In the mean time I do not have my information on my computer that I need 

All Replies
  • I do not rely on anyone else for my backed up data.  I use Acronis True Image and make regular full hard drive backups to a separately connected hard drive.  If there is a data corruption, I can easily and quickly restore.  If I have a full hard drive failure, I can restore in about an hour and the hard drive back to the last backup configuration. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Dell datasafe <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>.  The Tech Support <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>.  The refund(or lack thereof) policy <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>.

New computer started having problems early April 2503 error. Was online researching and trying a number of different things. Finally determined had to reformat hard drive.  Already had Free (2MB) account that came with computer. Paid to upgrade to 100 MG  After several attempts each taking several days the service was never geeing beyond 22 mb of 64 mb uploaded.  Tried contacting tech support but after waiting in excess of 15 min each time hung up Finally I went out and bought a hrad drive (which backed up everything within an hour) refoprmatted the hard drive.  Restored everything to pre April.  Works great.

Contacted Datasafe about a refund on their service that didn't work for me./  Was transferred four divverent times.  Was put on hold more thime thatn I'd care to remember.  was frequently asked if I could hold for two minutes while they checked into information and was usually ten til they got back.  Spent almost two hours with this <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> and was told they're so sorry (told that about a dozen times) but their refund policy is no refund.  They could restore the account and see what they could do to make things work (which I now didn't need)  but they could not refund my  money paid for their service that didn't work.

Ya know, in the process of trying to resolve my problem I bou\ght sevberal software programs and tech support services that I never heard of and was leary of but when they didn't work to solve the problem they happily refunded my money.  But when I bought the service from Dell, a name I thought I could trust and had no hesitation, they are the ones that in the end <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> me over.

Go to <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> Dell

• Sorry to hear about your woes.  Online storage is an important part of a backup plan but it still has issues.  Not only is it slow to retrieve large amounts of data when needed, it appears that in the fierce competition to be competitive on price most vendors like Dell cut corners by not providing meaningful support.  They look at it a less expensive to loose a customer than to provide support for the relatively few that encounter problems.  I get that is how a business school graduate may look at it but it is offensive to a morally centered person and short sighted for a business model. 

Sure a local backup on a drive in the same location is good to have but it is not going to help you if it fails, is stolen, your house burns down, or you simply want to recover one file when you are away from home.

What to do?  Dropbox!

Dropbox is great.  And unlike DataSafe it works from your Desktop, Laptop, iPhone, Droid, whatever you can think of.  Sign up for Free to check it out.  The first 2gb of storage is completely free, or 2.25gb if you sign up using this link http://db.tt/Z8Xe2p7

Check it out.

• Jim Mac -  I am in the same position as you and have been waiting since 7/10 to have my backup restored after replaceement of a hard drive.  Within the past few days said that they had a "server problem" but said it would be 3-4 days before they would hear from the "Priority Team".  This the third or fourth time they have asked for more time.  Seems to me that "DataSafe' is a questionable product at best.