SSD in Dell Inspiron 1501?

For Home

For Home
Computers & Related Items for Personal and Entertainment

SSD in Dell Inspiron 1501?

• I posted this question under 'Hard Drive' but did not get any responses.

Does anyone know if a SSD can be successfully installed in a Dell Inspiron 1501?  I bought a 64GB OCZ Core Series SSD.  When I put it in my Dell 1501 the laptop takes an extremely long time to respond - boot up is about 3-5 minutes.  I went through the exercise installing Win XP Pro, but when I try to boot from the SSD I get an error telling me the operating system cannot be found.

When I run the BIOS diagnostics from the F12 menu, it says the SSD did not pass the DST Short test.

To verify the SSD is good I installed in a system with a Biostar TA770 A2+ and everything installed with out any problem.  Windows boots in "in a flash!"

Is this a hardware problem?  Or, is it a BIOS problem?  Any ideas or hints would be appreciated.

• I just tried to install a 64GB Patriot Warp 2 SSD in my inspiron 1501 and I can confirm the exact same behaviour. Bios recognizes the drive, but XP install takes forever and will not boot from the disk afterwards.

Similar results with Ubuntu and Vista.

I thought the drive was defective but with an external USB enclosure it works perfectly, so it's likely the laptop can't handle these SSD's.

Disappointing.

• Dark Helmet 7

I just tried to install a 64GB Patriot Warp 2 SSD in my inspiron 1501 and I can confirm the exact same behaviour. Bios recognizes the drive, but XP install takes forever and will not boot from the disk afterwards.

Similar results with Ubuntu and Vista.

I thought the drive was defective but with an external USB enclosure it works perfectly, so it's likely the laptop can't handle these SSD's.

Disappointing.

It seems the problem with SSDs and the 1501 has to do with the internal controller of the SSD.  I had the same behavior with an 64GB OCZ Core & a 60GB OCZ Core II.  Apparently most of the SSDs are using a controller that the BIOS doesn't recognize as bootable.  I think I read it was a JMB controller.  During many months of reading about SSDs I finally ran across information about this and that the JMB(?) controller was also primarily responsible for the "stutter" experienced with SSDs.  Intel  introduced their latest SSDs a few months ago and I saw a review of the Samsung SSD stating Samsung was using the Intel controller.

I even called Dell Tech Support and they told me SSDs would not work in the 1501.

I purchased a Samsung 64GB SSD, Mfr Part Number: MMCRE64G5MPP-0VA00, installed it in my 1501 and it works perfectly.

So, you can install a SSD in an Inspiron 1501 if you get one with a controller the BIOS can recognize.  As I stated in another post, I did my "tweaking" based on information OCZ has on the SSD Forum.  This includes partition alignment and turning off a lot of little things in Windows.

• I believe the problem is the HDD adapter.   I don't think any SSD will run on a 1501, I would recommend getting the fastest 10K or 7.2K for faster hard drive speed.  Also the TA770 is a great board, I had a similar issue and just used it (modified) with my 790.  Good luck

• cornerstone31

I believe the problem is the HDD adapter.   I don't think any SSD will run on a 1501, I would recommend getting the fastest 10K or 7.2K for faster hard drive speed.  Also the TA770 is a great board, I had a similar issue and just used it (modified) with my 790.  Good luck

I just posted in the one above that the Samsung MLC 64GB SSD DOES WORK in the Dell 1501.  Neither an OCZ Core, OCZ Core II, nor a Patriot War 2 SSD would work, but the Samsung SSD DOES WORK.

Research leads one to the conclusion that Dell did not include code that would allow the BIOS to recognize drives with a "foreign" internal controller (JMB I think) to be recognized as a bootable device.  The Samsung is supposed to have an Intel controller and apparently it is recognized as a valid bootable device since it WORKS!  The computer boots normally and Windows XP loads and runs properly - What more can I say to prove my point?

You mention the TA770 board.  I have 4 of them and I tested my OCZ and Patriot SSDs on them - they all booted and ran fine.  These boards have JMB coding in their BIOS.

• Thank you for the correction I didn't read that part.  How did you find this info about the samsung ssd, or how you knew it would work?  Thanks

Mike

• I didn't know for sure that the Samsung would work, but after many months of reading articles and posts about SSDs I decided to take a chance.  I still don't know enough of the technical details about the different SSDs so I can't really tell why the Samsung works and the others didn't.

• Sorry for lifting up this old thread but I thought it would be of interest to other Inspiron 1501 users to know that Intel's SSD drives work perfectly with Inspiron 1501. I have myself an Intel X25 (40 GB) SSD drive which replaced the old Toshiba 160 GB 5400 rpm drive. The computer behaves as new now, much faster. I would like to thank ArtyDee for his valuable information that made me decide to go for the Intel.

• Has anybody tried Kingston brand SSD2 in the Dell 1501?   Kingston seems to have the best prices.  The samsung is too expensive for the moment.  But why does Samsung's use of an intel controller make it work on the 1501 when the 1501 uses an AMD processor?  Or are the computer's processor and the drive's controller not related in this manner?  Obviously I am a novice, so please be kind. 

• If possible (if you have the original hard drives still available) I would tell you to first perform a BIOS update. Then, once that is done, go into the BIOS to see if the 1501 SATA controller gives you an option for AHCI (unless you're putting it in a RAID). This is required for SSDs to work properly, especially if you want to enable TRIM support in Windows 7 (or other OS's).

The poor performance in XP could be the result of XP not being properly coded & optimized to take advantage of SSD technology (not surprising given its age).

XPS 720 Red/Silver ATX mod - Core i7-3770k, 8GB Kingston HyperX, 128GB Kingston SSD, 500GB+2x1TB Seagate, PNY GTX 650
    S2230M 21.5" 1080p LED monitor

• What I find out , the DELL notebook model Inspiron 1501 do not have an option to set ACHI in the BIOS.

• Get a external HDD assembly with a USB connection and then follow these instructions to boot from an external source; IMPORTANT: try this first Plug into USB port and be sure to remove the internal drive and have the bootable on a USB to continue (Note; 80% of desktops / laptops boot from installed versions first before checking other sources and you may need to reinstall the OS that is how windows / Apple? works for Copyright Reasons) During bios boot press F2 to enter setup utility Select BOOT tab Bring Removable Devices to the top by highlighting Removable Devices to the top as this is the area where it is a list for the computer to boot first by pressing Shift & +
  • So which types of ssd are most compatible with Inspiron 1501? And how should I install win7 on the ssd?

SATA-ii are OK?

Thanks!

• Recently a pioneer in japan successfully installed intel 330 series SSD on inspiron 1501. Using Intel Data Migration Software he made a duplication of hard disk and then put it on brand-new SSD. You can use another program or make a fresh installation, too. He presented a great improvement in windows-experience-index score from 4.3 to 7.2. 

What a amazing! I just came here to let everyone know that there is comaptible SSD out there. Cheers!

PS. Inspiron 1501 and Vostro 1000 are quite similar. Not only Vostro 1000 but Inspiron 1501 can be equipped with SSD.

• why did you not try WIN 7 ?

XP cant do trim NCq and other things  and will likely make for a much shorter life span

why destroy your SSD by using XP ?