Precision 470 memory upgrade issues - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Precision 470 memory upgrade issues

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Precision 470 memory upgrade issues

This question is not answered

I am trying to upgrade my Dell Precision 470 with a couple sticks of 2GB DDR2 PC2-3200 400MHz 240pin CL3 ECC Registered Dual Ranked Memory as seen here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064SOOTK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After careful research, I thought I had purchased the correct RAM. It even appears to be the same brand as two of the 512 DIMMs already installed (Micron). However, the Workstation does not boot. It just beeps at me and the lights on the front panel show A-green, B-orange, C-green, D-orange to indicate a memory configuration error. The only difference that I can say I have found between these DIMMs and those already installed was the organization (x8 for the current RAM, x4 for the new RAM). I don't know if that really makes a difference or not. I could really use some help with this before I go purchasing more memory.   

All Replies
  • It sounds like your DIMM module could be bad and if so, the motherboard needs to be replaced? Restart your system and press F12 when your BIOS posts.....it will be a good start.

• That certainly isn't something I'd want to hear and I hope that is not the case. Considering the four sticks of RAM currently installed work just fine, I would think that means it's okay. Though I've tried every configuration I could, including swapping out the old RAM. I might need to run a memory tester to see if it can tell me anything. I also contacted the RAM seller (Memory America), and they say that I may need single ranked RAM instead of dual, which is what I have. It's confusing though because from what I understand, this system should be able to handle dual ranked memory. After all, two of the four 512 MB sticks I have are dual ranked. Only DIMM slots 5 & 6 cannot use dual ranked memory, and those are the only ones not being used right now.

I'll keep at it. Thanks for the input thus far.

• Mi hermano la memoria tiene que se la misma x8, aunque se vea exactamente igual tiene que tener el misma referencia.

Danilo Técnico computacional de la República, tengo un pequeño y humilde taller de Reparación de pc, monitores plano y Dispositivos Moviles.

Aquí les dejo mi pagina web.

• You are going to have to take out the memory you already have in the system. You will not be able to mix it.

Also, you can not put more than 4 Gigabytes of RAM in this system without adding a system memory fan (good luck finding one)

PS. I have one of these systems and I had to work quite a while to find a configuration that worked for me, but I was able to get 8 Gigabytes of RAM working. I just had to get the correct kind of fan to keep it cool.

• I'll have to mess with it some more and see if your suggestion makes any difference. Though, I was pretty sure I tried every configuration I could think of. Part of me thinks that it's just really picky when it comes to RAM.

It just seems that the RAM I purchased doesn't work. Let me ask you this, Chris. Since you own one of these systems, did you ever have issues with dual ranked memory? Perhaps you could also give me the details on your working RAM config. It would be very much appreciated.

• It has been a while since I got it working, but if I recall correctly, I used four 2GB DDR2-400 PC2-3200 ECC Registered modules.

The ones I purchased were from eBay and were supposed to be working pulls.  They worked for me and were not very expensive.

The problem I ran into then was that the system BIOS came up and demanded that I install a memory fan before it would boot.  The research I did at that time indicated that this was an intended feature to prevent the memory from over heating.  The problem with it was finding a memory fan.

• The one thing, oddly enough, that is missing from your post (though I know you wrote it) was that the memory you used was single ranked. Had I not read my e-mail first, I might have missed that little piece of info. How very odd that it was missing here.

At any rate, the memory I purchased was dual ranked, and I am concerned that this might be the issue. But it doesn't seem to make much sense because the system should support dual ranked memory with the exception of slots 5 and 6. When installed the computer doesn't start, it just beeps out an error code. Considering your configuration, this might be the issue.