inspiron 531s upgrade processor

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

inspiron 531s upgrade processor

This question is not answered
I'm currently running a Dell Inspiron 531s (I've had it for nearly 2 years.) and I'm looking for  upgrading the processor.  My mainboard is a socket AM2 (Dell Inspiron 531s Motherboard Socket: AM2 asus m2n61 ax) run on AMD sempron LE- 1300 Processor: AMD Socket AM2(940)...
I was looking at this processor as an upgrade, and I was wondering if it's incompatible or would run my system too hot? (I'm using the default heatsink/fan setup + power supply.)
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=507&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=&f13=
All Replies
  •  utahfido

The 95w processor shown in your link is not supported by the Inspiron 531s.

You can find the Inspiron 531s processor upgrade options HERE

Update the BIOS to the latest version 1.0.13 when support for newer processors was added before installing the new processor.

The latest BIOS version is HERE, the installation instructions are included.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I' m very grateful for your help.

but are you with me that there is no big difference between (amd 6000+ with 89W and amd 7550 with 95W)

what about (AMD 4850B )I know that my mainboard supports for it and I haven't seen it in your list.

please be patient. i wanna get the best opportunity

thank you for your help.

utah 

•  utahfido

The AMD 4850B is a 45w processor and will not work in the 531s.

The best processor for the 531s is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Brisbane 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor, but this could be hard to fnd as they are not manufactured anymore.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• 1st) what does that mean?   do you mean that my mainboard doesn't suppor a 45w processor?

2nd) I really don't understand that matter.  Does the problem relate to the socket or to the wattage?

3rd) the dealer is sure and he has no doubt that my mainbord with socket AM2 supports (7550 a processor with AM2+)

and I think that you're sure that a mainbord with socket AM2 doesn't support a processor with AM2+

• 4th) I've forgotten that the dealer has offered to te test the processor on my pc before I buy it, to make me sure of his opinion.

so my helpful man, If you'er me what would you do.

I 'm really sorry cause I think that I bother you so please be patient with me

what does that mean?

•  utahfido

It's the wattage. 

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• last question please?

i wanna clear answear.

Does my mainboar run on a 45W processor or not?

thank you.

•  utahfido

No, the motherboard does not support any 45w processors.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• sir I think you haven't read my first post, and if you read it , you would notice that I've mentioned that my machine is running on AMD Sempron LE-1300 a 45W processor

surprise

thank you for your help

utah

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=384&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=&f13=

• utahfido

The inspiron 531s will not support the 45w Dual-Core processors, that you are trying to upgrade too.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• hey Mr:bev

Do you speak English?

Can you copy me?

you hve said "No, the motherboard does not support any 45w processors"

so, I'm terribly sorry not going to trust in your suggestions any more.

byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye

utahfido

• The 531/531s does support an Athlon 64 X2 4450 which is a 45w processor, but you need to update your BIOS to the latest update, 1.0.13.  Dell actually sold these units with this processor as an option.  This is the only 45w processor that I know of that is supported by the 531/531s.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz –Kingston 240GB SSD – Seagate 320GB HDD – ASUS GeForce
    GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550w PSU - Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1- Dell E2211H 22"Flat Panel Monitor

• Hi !

and  howdy Mr:anotherman

i hope to be able to help me in my question.

i wanna upgrade my inspiron 531s processor which run on sempron LE-1300 (a45w processor) with a95 processor (amd 7550 with 95W click here)

the dealer has sworn of god that my motherbord will support it . and he has offered to  test the processor on my pc before I buy it, to make me sure of his opinion.so what would you do if you were me?

oh yee! i've already  updated my BIOS to the latest update, 1.0.13. 

thank you so much of your generosity.

sleep well

bye

• The 7550 won't work, it's an AM2+ socket and your motherboard is an AM2 socket.  It will fit, but will not boot.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz –Kingston 240GB SSD – Seagate 320GB HDD – ASUS GeForce
    GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550w PSU - Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1- Dell E2211H 22"Flat Panel Monitor