Dell recommends Windows 7?

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dell recommends Windows 7?

This question is not answered

So, I've got a 3 year old Dell Dimension XPS410/9200 sitting under my desk. Originally installed with XP, avoided Vista and the computer has now been upgraded with a clean install of Windows 7. The system works pretty well now but .. I want a new computer.

So I go on to Dell's site and start looking at the Dell XPS/Studio range. But .. there's something puzzling me. When it comes to choose the OS all I'm offered is Vista. Nothing else. Vista. No windows 7. Not even an option to have windows 7 installed as an alternative. The system comes with Vista factory installed by Dell (that's the company that recommends Windows 7) and nothing else is available.

So I contact Customer support. They tell me that I would be eligible for an upgrade. That's nice. So I get a new computer with an old operating system and Dell will allow me to upgrade it to the operating system they recommend. Hmm.

Suffice to say I'm not going to order that new Dell. Perhaps the Marketing department would coordinate with the Sales department? A new slogan might be in order?

"Dell recommends Windows 7 but we'll sell you Vista anyway"

All Replies
  • Not sure where you're looking but 7 is the default OS for the Studio XPS 8000 and 9000.

• ejn63
    Not sure where you're looking but 7 is the default OS for the Studio XPS 8000 and 9000.

Agreed. But it was the Studio XPS that I was looking at. The Studio XPS 8000 is a different line and doesn't give me the graphics card I want. In the UK the XPS 9000 isn't on offer. So, the mystery deepens.

"Dell recommends Windows 7 but we'll sell you Vista on some computers anyway"

• Homomdan

ejn63
    Not sure where you're looking but 7 is the default OS for the Studio XPS 8000 and 9000.

Agreed. But it was the Studio XPS that I was looking at. The Studio XPS 8000 is a different line and doesn't give me the graphics card I want. In the UK the XPS 9000 isn't on offer. So, the mystery deepens.

"Dell recommends Windows 7 but we'll sell you Vista on some computers anyway"

Well, I see Windows 7 as default.

Try this link

Studio XPS 8000

• MasumX. Thank you for the link. But i need to repeat that the Studio XPS 8000 is NOT the same as the Studio XPS and that the Studio XPS 8000 only offers an Geforce GTS 240

• Homomdan

MasumX. Thank you for the link. But i need to repeat that the Studio XPS 8000 is NOT the same as the Studio XPS and that the Studio XPS 8000 only offers an Geforce GTS 240

Well, I am not seeing just a Studio XPS on the USA Dell website. The choices that I see are the Studio XPS 8000 or Studio XPS 9000 or XPS One.

You're on own with this rant.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• I am based in Australia, and I have also just ordered the studio XPS i7, it uses the studio case fitted with one of the new I7 motherboards. As you say it comes with Vista. I wonder why they don't just throw the update disks in the box rather than making me jump through hoops to get the free update three weeks after I receive the PC

Paul

Snowy mountains

Australia

• ieee488
    Well, I am not seeing just a Studio XPS on the USA Dell website. The choices that I see are the Studio XPS 8000 or Studio XPS 9000 or XPS One.

Silly me. My mistake. I know I'm in the UK but I should have been looking at the US web site, which has a different range of offerings.

• Studio XPS, I see what you mean. They only have Windows Vista as default. No option for Windows 7. I don't know what to call it laziness, careless, ignorance or plain stupidity?

Just to clarify, this is the system right? Studio XPS

• Yeah, that's the one. You'll see it offers a slightly higher end graphics card.

My guess is that they have Vista licenses that they have to get rid of. Still, it jars a bit that they recommend Windows 7 and then only offer Vista. It means you end up with two sets of discs to store, the original 'Vista' install and the Windows 7 'Upgrade only'; That's why i'll wait .. and I must confess .. look around elsewhere