C521 OHY175 mainboard -- adding new HDD -- what type SATA cable to buy? - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

C521 OHY175 mainboard -- adding new HDD -- what type SATA cable to buy?

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

C521 OHY175 mainboard -- adding new HDD -- what type SATA cable to buy?

This question is not answered

I'm adding a new HDD to my C521 and need to buy a 1-4 SATA cable similar to : http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=CBLSFFCF05

I don't what cable to buy exactly, and there appears to be ALOT of choices.

What do I need ?

TIA,

John

All Replies
  • jvwardle

The Dimension C521 does not support a second internal SATA hard drive.

If you wish to add an additional SATA hard drive, either use a USB 2.0 external hard drive, or buy an SATA USB powered external enclosure and install your hard drive it it.

More info, HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I'm afraid you are wrong about that. I am looking at mine right now and it has 2 hard drive bays.

• phlibby

I'm afraid you are wrong about that. I am looking at mine right now and it has 2 hard drive bays.

phlibby

Please note the second 3.5" bay is for either a Media Card Reader, or a Floppy Drive, not a hard drive [see page 21 0f the link I posted]

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-c521/manuals

The c521 motherboard only has support for two SATA devices, usually a hard drive and an optical drive, plus a floppy drive connector [see page 43].

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• You are right. Oops. Sorry about that. I should know better by know than to doubt you guys (and girls).

My mistake,

Apologies,

Pat