California residents: Dell overcharges for e-Waste fee in some cases, so be careful - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

California residents: Dell overcharges for e-Waste fee in some cases, so be careful

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

California residents: Dell overcharges for e-Waste fee in some cases, so be careful

This question is not answered

I've been trying to buy a laptop from Dell but noted that, if I choose an "edge to edge" color preference, the California EPA fee in my shopping cart goes from $16 per unit to $32. The state fee for notebooks is $16 per unit.  However, I could not get the charge to change to the proper amount despite my deleting and reconfiguring shopping cart configurations, so I called Phone Sales and spoke to an agent there.   The agent told me this was the correct fee.  

It is not.  Per the Board of Equalization's FAQ's for retailers who collect the fee:

How much is the fee?

The fee is based upon the viewable size of the video display, measured diagonally.

Viewable screen size, measured diagonallyFee 1/1/2005–
12/31/2008
Fee
As of 1/1/2009
Greater than 4 inches but less than 15 inches $6 $8
Greater than or equal to 15 inches but less than 35 inches $8 $16
Greater than or equal to 35 inches $10 $25

Note there is no $32 fee prescribed for any screen size.  If you are a California resident:  Be careful.  You are likely to be overcharged.  The proper amount is $16. 

All Replies
  • Did they explain why the edge to edge required a higher e-waste fee? I think the Gorilla glass used in the technology complicates the recycling process. It's also more durable and would therefore have a longer life-span. Dell is wrong not to display the information on the e-waste prices, though, or at least explain why it's so. This sort of business approach makes people weary of the entire concept of e-waste recycling, because they're too busy thinking about getting ripped off.