Upgrading a Dimension e510

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Upgrading a Dimension e510

This question is not answered

I have two items I would like to upgrade to my Dimension e510, RAM and a Hard Drive.

1.  I would like to know what is the most RAM I can upgrade my e510 to?  I did a search on Kingston's website and it suggested this memory module:  1GB 533MHz Module (KTD-DM8400A/1G).  Is this the best option?  I have 2 DIMMs totalling 1GB right now (2 X 512KB).  For the best performance should I reconfigure and just buy (4) 1GB modules?  Will this make Windows XP run better?

2.  Can I add a  third hard drive to my e510?  I have two 160GB SATA drives installed, but I need more space.  So I'm looking to add another drive with a 500GB capacity.  Has anyone added a third SATA hard drive?

If you can point me to the right directions that would be awesome!

All Replies
  • According to Crucial which is always a good source to check for memory size and limits and which is highly recommeneded for Dell system you can have a total of 8 gigs installed in the system with 2 gigs per slot max. Now unless you are running a 64 bit system then anything over 4 gigs is  waste.

Now for the hard drive the short answer is no if you already have two installed as you only have two SATA ports on the motherboard. If you want to add in more drives you will need to use an add in SATA card which would go into one of the PCI slots on the motherboard which you have two of and may already be full

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• rayloathome

You could use an USB external hard drive.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I do have external USB drives which I use for backup purposes.  They usually get placed in a fireproof safe or sometimes I take them with me when I travel.  I would like to expand the tower and in the near future make it into a media server with all my home movies, music and photos.  Also I am going to try to upload some home movies from my old Digital8 video camera which I hear takes a lot of storage.  So what I might do is just take out the 160gb and replace with the 500gb...  or maybe get an additional SATA card.  Do you have a recommendation for any brand?

• Thank you for the quick response.  I just went on Crucial's website and now I'm even more confused.  First of all I did a search with Kingston and it gave me this one:

Kingston 1GB PC2-4200 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM (KTD-DM8400A/1G)

Then I went to Crucial it gave me this module:

Crucial 1GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module (CT731047)

PC2-5300 and PC2-4200 which is better for my Dell e510.  I currently have a Pentium D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB) and 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M) which I can get replace.  I really don't understand the terms 5300 and 4200.  Can you explain and tell me which one will be a better fit for my Pentium D?

• Memory specs can be very confusing  so do feel bad..

PC-4200 is 533 mhz speed memory

PC-5300 is 667 mhz speed menory

Generally the faster the memory the faster the system. So currently you have 533 mhz memory and  if you were to add in the 667 mhz memory then the 667 would fall back to the 533 speed so in essence it would be a waste to mix them. Either will work well with your current configuration. If you can afford it I would say go with the 4 gig kit from Crucial to get the faster memory .

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003